Were there ever any presidents of USA who were not the republicans nor the democrats?

Were there any other party presidents or independent candidates who have been elected as presidents of USA in the past?

1|1
1|9

Most Helpful Guy

• George Washington was the only independent candidate who managed to become the president, but later he became Federalist.
    John Adams was a Federalist.
    Several presidents were Democratic-Republicans: Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson.
    Andrew Johnson was a National Union president.
    There were also several Whig party presidents: Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, William H. Harrison, and John Tyler.
    All of the other USA presidents were Republicans and Democrats.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Not since the 18th & 19th century.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Millard Fillmore (Whig party) was the last one, he was US president from 1850 through 1853. He was not elected but a vice president who took office when the previous president, Zachary Taylor (Whig party), died. Zachary Taylor was the last US president who won a presidential election while not being a member of the democratic or republican parties, this was in 1849.

1|3
    0|0
    • 3mo

Who the fuck is even gonna try to beat this great answer. lol

• Show All
    • 3mo

@madhatters4

Yes, but Teddy lost that election.

• 3mo

haha good point

• The last President of the US who was neither Democrat or Republican was Millard Fillmore (1850-1853), who was a member of the Whig party.

1|0
    0|0
  • Our second president, John Adams, was a Federalist. That's one example.

1|0
    0|0
  • as i understand it teddy roosevelt ran under the bull moose party when the two major parties already had candidates for his second presidential run

0|0
    0|0
  • I think only their first president was not a republican nor the democrat.

1|0
    0|0
  • Look up a list of Whig presidents.

1|0
    0|0
  • George Washington did not belong to any political party.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

I see, he was an independent candidate, right?

• 3mo

Washington was a Federalist.

• Yes, but that was back hundred years ago when they had different parties... In the relatively modern history, I checked.. None.. This is why US politics is sort of just like a two party system

1|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

Some kind of democracy, pfff...

• 3mo

And since they are essentially the same, we in fact have a one party system.

Just like the Soviet Union, which we demonized (and rightly so) for four decades.

• 3mo

@Barrabus_the_Free Yeah, obviously :)

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!