What age would you allow your child to dye their hair?

I really want to just get lighter tips. And my mom is bitching about it and I've had it up to here. I just wanted to get semi-permanent done and I found the one I want, read reviews, and it even said it was semi and she says it's not semi and it's going to turn green or some crap. And she'd rather get it done 'professionally' meanwhile, it comes with directions and step-by-step instructions. I'm only doing the ends. IT WILL GROW OUT. I don't know what to do, I had it to the point where I actually started tearing up and crying. All my friends have their hair dyed, others getting even more color than I want and my friend even got a piercing on her ear. A PIERCING THAT IS PERMANENT. Meanwhile, I can't even do one thing to myself. It's not just that, she always has to say what clothes I wear, this, and that, and I am so fed up I just wanna really punch something right now. And I even see all the other girls online who cut their hair short, and they are my age and can just do what the hell they want, but when you have a mother who doesn't let you do anything, I feel heartbroken.

And let's not forget the one time I even wanted temporary and she said no, haha..

148

Most Helpful Guy

• I was 15 when I was allowed to do it. It was just foam that you applied in the shower and it was semi-permanent, made my hair dark purple.

I didn't do any permanent colours until I was 20.

Most Helpful Girl

• Piercings can be taken out and the hole will close up... I should know I've accidentally done that and had to get my ears re-pierced (go fuck yourself, ref who made me take my earrings out)

Anyways, that was not the question. You're mother wants to control how you look, because as my mother tells me all the time, "how you look in a reflection of our family" which is bullshit, it's a reflection of me. My mom let me cut my hair short because I made a convincing case that it looked really nice and the hairdresser agreed, and dye the ends for a couple of days (for Warped tour) with temporary dye, but it took forever to convince my mom to let me do it.

Ask your mother why she wants to control how you look so much, maybe she has a good reason (she won't but ask anyway) and talk about ways you could do what you want without overstepping the boundaries.

• No, I know piercings can close, but I'm just making a point that the mother actually allowed it.

Wow. If I we're to cut my hair short (even though I wouldn't) I would be dead on the floor. I just really want to be happy with who I am and just do what I want to do. I want to change. I know I sound mean, but I really am just so fed up.

If I try talking to her she's just going to be like 'you're not getting it, end of story. it'll turn green'. We even went to the store today and I showed her the dye I wanted and she first agrees than puts it down? She thinks it has bleach but there isn't. And it was even a natural color. Not blue, pink. NATURAL THAT WOULD BLEND WITH MY HAIR.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 7

• 18. That's legally when she's/he's an adult. She/he can do whatever she/he wants at 18. But until she's/he's under my roof, no way!

• I think 14 would be a reasonable age for dye tips or highlights.

• At 16 and she will be paying for it with her own money.

• 16 or 18

• 15 or 16

• 10 it's just hair it will grow out

• At 16

What Girls Said 13

• I was 15 when I got highlights. But the logic that your friends are allowed to do it isn't going to do you any good. Some parents allow their teenagers to drink, smoke, and hook up - does that make it okay?

It sucks, but it's not long before you're 18.

• I started dying my hair when I was 14.

I wouldn't let mine start until puberty and even then semi perm only until 16 or long term decided. Like brunette massive suited them better.

Dying gets addictive and a constant maintenance. Only when they have their own income can they go perm.

Tips are a little different, much more harmless.

• 13 is fine, it's just hair.

• My mom let me start around 12, but she had to be there to make sure it turned out okay. I like getting highlights in my hair. She used to as well, which is why I started doing it.

• At 18.

Dyeing your hair is not good for and will not encourage it, especially if she has my hair type and colour.

• 18 ..

• I'd say once they're in high school. That's when I was allowed.

• I would probably let them start dying their hair around age 15. When I was younger, I thought dying hair was so cool because all my friends were doing it, but I'm actually glad my mom made me wait rather than just letting me go ahead and do it. Once I grew up a bit more, I realized that I really didn't want to dye my hair and I haven't to this day. If you really want to try it out, maybe sit down with your mom and calmly explain to her why you want to get it done and give some logical reasons that she can stand behind. In the end, she's just trying to look out for you the best way she knows how.

• 15 its when i was allowed to do highlights.

• I would say 15 is a good age. If they died it before that it wouldn't bother me Lol I died my hair when I was in 3rd grade.

• Probably 11 or 12. I was 11 when my mom let me first temporarily dye my hair.

• At 18

• I started dying my hair at late 14 early 15