If you saw this username would you assume this person in an online game was a dude?

In warframe my username is Mustache_Kitteh. A couple of times I've had other players say, "Thanks man." and "lets do this boys." In my mind I'm wanting to say, "but I'm not a dude," then I just say screw it and roll with them saying it. I do laugh about it because I do find it funny. XD Only time I had an issue with that was when I was actually talking in the game with my friend @Mistnigqa808. One of the dudes thought I was a dude which made me sad since I don't have a male sounding voice. :'(

So I wonder if the players truly think I'm a dude even with that kind of username or it's just them calling everyone that. Wouldn't bother either way but I'm curious if some would.

• I would assume it's a dude
  • I would assume it's a chick
  • Normal speech to anyone

Most Helpful Guy

• The majority of the people are guys so if someone is leading an attack in an online commutative game they will likely refer to the group as guys. There are a handful for regulars that are girls on the counter strike server I play on and people rarely make acceptation and say boys and girls. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• "Let's do this boys" is just a generic phrase everyone is using nowadays. One of those fad phrases.

What Guys Said 19

• They call everyone dude on there and you have kitten in your user name so I wouldn't think your a guy using that

• I would need to hear your voice ;)

• I would assume it's a guy because it rare for a girl to play online. I play GTA online and there's a lot of guys playing as girl characters. So yeah I always assume it's a guy

• Words like "dude" and "guys" usually refer to the male gender, but sometimes simply to people in general.

• Nah, guys just say dude and man to any person. Even here on asks they can say to you, "no dude i think your name sounds a girl", it's like... they are used to use those terms.

But, i would be confused, for me you could be a male or a female. ^_^"

The boy part was what made me wonder the most. XD

And the voice part was lol.
      But maybe he tought you were a young boy, because pitched voice i guess.

It wasn't someone I play with often, just a random person who joined mine and mists party.

• It's not the username that makes them assume you're a dude, it's the fact that you're a *gamer*.

That's silly I know soo many woman who play video games. Even romance novel blogs talk about video games my favorite blog even mentions them frequently in their podcasts.

@Valkyrie1 that doesn't change the fact that the organizations making the 52% studies aren't even using the same criteria for "gamer" as actual gamers.

No but considering the definition of gamer varies on said gamer and how much of a troll they feel like being that day. It is probable for the best. It would be better if separated by platform, game company and type like RPG, first-person shooter, simulation, strategy etc.

• Lmao well thats how it works in online gaming, Everyone is "dude" there unless you say you aren't. But I say just don't cause you will see a lot of guys hitting on you after that :D

• Figure it's a dude but I treat everyone in online games the same.

• I would think you were a chick... I mean girl haha :D

• What I learnt from online games is that everyone is a dude unless I see or hear undeniable proof they aren't. I don't really know how to put it in other words.

• It sounds like it's just normal speech. I call girls, guys as a general term for "mates". As in, "Come on guys! hurry up!" would be just general talk. But maybe for your friend, they just assumed it because of the game. Maybe not many girls play it (I myself don't considered it but too many gb). I wouldn't take it too harshly if I were you

What about the term boy?

Well it sort of depends on what context it's used in. Say if it were used in a "Ay boi wots up m8?" Then it's sort of just slang but if it is literally like "Wot! I thought you were a boy!" Well yes, yes then they think you were a boy. But never the less, lots of young boys who play games sound like girls so they might have mistaken you

• i dont really think of peoples gender when im playing games.

• Anything related to kitteh would be treated as female 😼
    Voice part, well no comments !!

• Well, some people consider my username as female as well, so...

• I would assume it's a dude

• Whats warframe?

• In online games everyone is a dude until proven otherwise

• Normal speech to anyone

• It's gender agnostic, meaning same for male and female
    I assume male for other people until I have good other reason because that's the majority and most females don't want to be different anyway.
    I also had a friend with a user name of his female favorite character. It was always fun when someone new joined voice com and noticed he wasn't female xD

What Girls Said 5

• If you have a 'girly' voice, I'd assume you were a chick. From what I've heard, yours is pretty feminine.

He was probably playing around with you and trying to "trigger" you.

- & I don't say anything unless someone asks. You are DEF not a dude, babe. :* :*

• Depends on which games you play, but I think it's common that a lot of people still assume that gamers are primarily guys. So they might think you're a guy because of that, but yea it does sound like they think you are lol. It happens 😂

• First rule of the internet is everyone is a guy until proven otherwise~

• it's kinda... andrahjinus

• From my experience guys don't use kitteh or kitty in there usernames so I wouldn't...

What if I used killer kitten or death kitteh

Sure just not with a k some girls use Kat as a nickname.

I could see a guy having Commando kitten or Pimp kitten as a username