Do you think that the First Amendment only applies to those that agree with you?

If you think this sounds stupid then look at the behavior of some posters on websites like this when it comes to those that disagree with them. They think the other person needs to be silenced.

• I think it only applies to those that agree with me
  • I think it not only applies to those that agree with me but those I disagree with

Most Helpful Girl

• We all have freedom of speech. That means you can't be jailed for your opinion. It doesn't mean that someone can't exercise their freedom of speech in return and tell you they don't like your opinion.

I did not say that. I said they think other people can not express an opinion that is different from theirs. Get the difference?

Eh, people seem to think if you don't like the way a country is run you should move. Which is backwards logic.

Yep, I just went back to the question and that comment is gone. Admins must have seen it.

Most Helpful Guy

• The millennials seem to believe that you cannot say non-PC things and people should be banned from making such comments. Sad really.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 11

• I do believe that freedom of speech (I'm not calling it "the first amendment" since I'm not from the US) should be granted to all citizens regardless of their personal views. However - and this is something very typical European about me - I also believe that restrictions of fundamental rights are justifiable under certain circumstances. For example I do believe that people should not be able to walk up to somebody on the street and call that person an asshole out of nowhere. Free speech is only truly free if it doesn't harm other people. I also believe that free speech should not be granted for the purpose of political or religious hate-speech or baiting. So if for instance you believe that the government should build concentration camps and murder all members of a certain minority group, that's your opinion. I can't do anything to change that. However, I don't want people like that openly spreading their hate in the public sphere. I know Americans think differently about this and America is kinda organized like an anarchy... everyone just does what he wants and doesn't give a shit about other people. If for example the Westboro Baptist Church existed in a continental European country, such as France or Germany, chances are they would have been heavily fined for hate speech - and rightly so, in my opinion.

Yes, I have heard before that the Nazi salute is illegal in Germany.

• The first ammendment doesn't cover that. Other people are allowed to try and silence you.

I think its retarded and I legitimately hate people that do that but they technically aren't breaking the law by shaming you or trying to silence certian opinions.

Never said they were breaking the law just bringing up the attitude that people have with others expressing their opinions. Yep it retarded.

• The first amendment only guarantees that the government can't silence unpopular speech. No such protections are in place in the private world.

I'm talking about people recognizing other peoples right to have an opinion.

Oh, the SJW/PC crowd. They are useless societal parasites.

Yes they are!

• The first amendment only applies to educated opinions. People have a right to be educated. However, they don't have a right to be ignorant.

I actually like that. lol

• It's also their first amendment right to disagree. There's no law for immature, childish behavior.

• It applies to everyone's views, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

• think it not only applies to those that agree with me but those I disagree with

• The constitution and first amendment only protect people from government repression. Any private person, organization, company, etc do not have to abide by this. Only the government or gov't related agency must conform.

In other words I can kick you out of my house for saying something I disagree with. I can ban you from an internet forum I run for saying something I disagree with.

I'm talking about people recognizing other peoples right to have an opinion all things being equal as in two members of this website where one doesn't think the other should be able to express their opinion.

• Anyone who believes that the First Amendment should suit themselves has no idea what the U. S. is truly about.

• I think it only applies to the governments right to silence people.