Would you date a girl if she's not a native English speaker?

You like her but she's not native. She makes mistakes all the time and pronounces words wrong. Gets laughed at because sometimes she says things that sound dirty because of wrong choice of words.

• Date her. / Help her get better along the way.
    92% (24)93% (55)93% (79)Vote
  • Not date her. / Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    8% (2)7% (4)7% (6)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
7|32

Most Helpful Guy

• Chances are she is better at English than I am at her native tongue. I'd hope she wouldn't let my inability to speak her first language become a problem. Fortunately, when I've dated women from other countries, they were able to compensate for my limited foreign language skills.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 31

• I'm in a long-term relationship with my fiancé who is from a different country and thus speaks a different language. When we met 6 years ago, neither of us spoke the other person's native tongue. The trick is to be very good at at least another language besides your own, so you can solve this problem by using a bridge-language to communicate. In our case, this third language was English. Neither of us is a native English speaker but we are both fluent at it, so for the first 2-3 years of our relationship we exclusively communicated in a language other than our own. It worked out just fine. If both people have some patience, you can also solve misunderstandings that might occur.
    Approximately three years ago, my fiancé started learning my native language German. This was particularly hard for her because I am from Switzerland, where German is an official language but nobody actually speaks German. People know how to speak it but in every-day life, they speak Swiss, which is practically like a different language. So my fiancé depended a lot on her study materials and of course on me and my family. She worked incredibly hard and became very good in an insanely short period of time. Now, after 3 years, she's on a high C1-level and she also studies in German (including writing Uni papers and reading academic articles for Uni in German). I can now talk about practically everything with her in German. And people never laughed at her as far as I remember. My parents and my fiancé's university friends were all incredibly supportive. Now it's my turn. My fiancé comes from South Korea, so her native language is Korean. For the past 2 years, I've been studying Korean on my own and I'm intending to take classes once I have a little spare money. The plan is for me to get as good at Korean as she is at German. This would be really helpful also because we agreed to raise our future children bilingually (possibly trilingually if you include English, which we still speak very frequently together). Of course I will want to know what my fiancé says to our children in Korean, just like she would understand what I say to them in Swiss.

2|0
    0|0
  • As long as I can still communicate with her, I think it's really cute if a girl has an accent or messes up words from time to time.

1|0
    0|0
  • sure. speaking English as a primary language is NOT a must for me to consider dating a person

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not a native speaker so sure. Would be hypocritical of me to reject someone because of that lol

1|0
    0|0
  • In 2007-2008, I dated a lady who was from the Ukraine. She had such a cute accent and she was a very nice lady!

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people are bullshiting the polls tbh, I would date, that sounds cute for some reason😊 it would make some great bonding teaching her how to speak correctly

2|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I don't see any problem with that.

1|0
    0|0
  • It would probably be fun and I get to help her learn the language

1|0
    0|0
  • Current girlfriend is not a native speaker

1|0
    0|0
  • I only prefer to date girls who aren't native.

Native girls tend to be more arrogant and they sometimes make fun of your accent, but whatever lol...

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't love people for what language they speak...

1|0
    0|0
  • Sounds kind of cute to me. I'd date for sure because I think it's kind of shallow if someone denies someone because they don't have perfect English.

1|0
    0|0
  • voted a coz im not a small minded c==t

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as our cultures weren't too different, I wouldn't mind.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty sure if you both love each other and support each other in a relationship healthily, language, looks, age, gender/sexuality, interests, and the list goes on. But basically if you love each other, yes, yes indeed.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes, i have dated a chinese girl and it was cute when she struggled with English and i completed sentences for her ha ha

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

technically, i am not a native speaker myself but i know the language well enough anyway

• Yep.

I almost married one.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe @margarida :P

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

But, sweetheart, I hardly make mistakes when I talk. And I never speak dirty by mistake :P

• Show All
    • 2mo

I'm just trying to beat your charming self, my dear, but how could I ever? :P

• 2mo

@margarida It's true ;)

• Depends. What kinda accent are we talking about?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course, because English is not my Native language either.

1|0
    0|0
  • It isn't a problem I had European girlfriend few times we both weren't native English speakers but we got along well :D

0|0
    0|0
  • Seriously its normal isn't it? She can make mistakes. Well I'm not enough to talk perfect but I have a girlfriend and she doesn't care my English problems 😆

0|0
    0|0
  • Been there, done that... It didn't work out for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a non-native English speaker, sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • I speak other languages, so I have no problem with someone who isn't s native English speaker.

0|0
    0|0
  • Date her. / Help her get better along the way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

0|0
    1|1
  • I'd be okay with that, if I could at least communicate with her.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol, the 7% of guys said no, wow

1|0
    0|0
  • yes, I usally date girls speaking my native language ;)

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• I talked with one Italian guy in Italian language, and he found it cute and taught me things, and It was nice. I guess you shouldn't worry about it. Guys are guys, whether they are English or Italian speakers and most of them find it cute if they like a girl.

1|0
    0|0
  • You'll be fine, a lot people, including myself, find it cute and endearing.

1|0
    0|0
  • Date then and then help with their English

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd date someone who didn't speak my language. English is hard!!

1|0
    0|0
  • i wuld date tbh lol its bonding material duh

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd date someone who doesn't speak French. So sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a native speaker. Works out just fine :)

1|0
    0|0