If you haven't heard back from an employer, 4 weeks after interview, is it safe to assume you were unsuccessful?

• Yes, you were unsuccessful
  • No, don't assume that yet

Most Helpful Girl

• If you haven't heard back follow up with a phone call.

What should I say in the phone call? I only have the number for HR.

Say exactly why you're calling. "I'm calling to follow up on my interview regarding the job position."

If anything it shows ambition and follow through. Gl :)

What Girls Said 9

• Unless they told you it would be a slow turn around, I'd be assuming at this point that you were unsuccessful.

Most companies will follow up within 2 weeks with candidates who have been shortlisted or who they wish to make an offer to. It is standard HR practice to inform candidates if followed up will be more than 2 weeks.

Not really a company though. It's a fire department.

No they didn't tell me. When I first applied, I got an email saying I would be contacted after the application sift finished. And 2 and a half weeks later I got an invite to interview. Then went to interview and have heard nothing since.

Doesn't hurt to call I guess

• If you haven't followed up, then it's likely.

• It really depends. Some companies have a really elaborate procedure so it takes time

• Sorry but you were unsuccessful. Most employers now can't be bothered to contact unsuccessful applicants.

I contacted them and was told I would hear back by the end of next week.

it was HR I contacted and they said there's a meeting to decide the final outcome.

A meeting to decide the outcome four whole weeks after the interview? What do they do all day in HR, for God's sake. I think they're telling porkies, I'm afraid.

• I'd call for sure. It's probably not gonna work out for you but it could.

• After 4 weeks he probably won't even remember you. Move on -look elsewhere for work.

• I would assume you didn't get it BUT try calling to make sure.

• They could be reviewing other people

• If I dont hear anything after a week I assume I failed. Look elsewhere for work.

What Guys Said 7

• No, you can't assume that. But the odds of getting the job are pretty low after that long. There are a lot of reasons for it taking that long. The most common is probably because the manager is too busy to get around to it.

There could also be a lot of red tape and procedures. One procedure might be to leave the position open for applications a minimum amount of time. That one is common with government jobs, or other jobs with some kind of government rules involved.

Another thing that happens somewhat often is that you are second choice, and it takes a while to find out that first choice didn't work out for whatever reason.

It's also common for a new position to become available even if the one you applied for was filled.

You should follow up. At least that's the conventional wisdom even though I rarely did it. The followup should have been much sooner though, but it's never too late.

You should not depend on getting any job. You should continue looking, even after you've been told you are hired. Stuff happens and jobs fall through even if you've been given a start date.

• Its very safe to assume that.

I would call if I were you, to make sure.

• I had an interview two weeks ago and I haven't heard back. It's a done deal, as far as I'm concerned.

• yes, that is too long a gap

• Usually they call back in a day or two if you got the job

• No, don't assume that yet

• In my experience they take at least 1-2 weeks to look at it. 4 weeks is about the time where you call HR about your status.
    I have had a company which even wouldn't confirm or deny for 6 months wether they got my letter or not (and all other candidates). But i think that company was an exception.