World War II ended 71 years ago today! Do you know anybody who served?

World War II ended on September 2, 1945, six years and one day after it began. Do you know anyone - relatives, neighbors, family friends, etc. - who served in World War II?

My maternal grandfather served in the US Army Air Corps, or what we know today as the US Air Force. He was a radio operator on a bomber in the South Pacific.

I had a customer once a few years ago who was in a supply unit in Europe. General Patton addressed his unit and he even shook hands with him!

There's an older man at my parents' church who always has a Marines jacket on. I've never met him, but he's definitely old enough to have fought in World War II.

I'm sure there are others I've known, but I can't think of them right now.

Whom do YOU know who served in World War II?

Most Helpful Girl

• My grandpa did on my dads side.

Most Helpful Guy

• My father.

Oh my... where was he? What branch was he in?

Army. Other then that I'm nor sure. I do know he was really proud of it.

:)
      ...

What Girls Said 1

• Yep, My Gross Oma was a nurse, My Great Uncles (6) where soldiers in the war most died some died on the way back.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know anyone who served but my grandma is Greek and she was roughly 12 years old when Greece was occupied by the axis. First it was occupied by the Italians and later by the Nazis. My grandma talks very, very little about this time. All I know from my dad, some other relatives and the very few things she's ever said to anyone is that she must have experienced some extremely traumatic things. She once told me that she witnessed almost her entire village being brutally massacred by German SS-soldiers. Her dad (my great grandfather) was among the victims. It was likely a revenge because Greek partisans were fighting in the underground resistance and destroyed an important railroad nearby. I'm currently pursuing a master's degree in history, so obviously I'm extremely interested in oral history. However, when I asked her to tell me more, she became very upset and quiet. We were sitting at her kitchen table and I remember her getting up, breathing hard and saying to me in her Greek accent "You don't want to know all the things I had to experience". Since then, she's never talked about the war time again. All she would say when somebody asks her is "It's shit. It's shit. Let's not talk about this shit. I don't want to think about it. It's just shit". So I've never asked her again either. But it's still something I can't forget.

@BlueCoyote
      Greek resistance during WW2 was heroic.. nearly threw the nazis out and then the British invaded Greece and kept the fascists in govt.
      Not a feat the Allied should be proud about.

@bluecoyote The first time I visited Greece was somewere in the early sixties and people were still very poor then. I remember Seeing people living in holes in the rocks, N of Thessalonikhe (troglodites)

@bluecoyote Your granny probably remembers the Greek παιδομάζωμα

• As far as living relatives go, I have my Uncle Ed (well, "uncle" for simplicity sake) who served, although I don't know what branch or whatnot. I haven't asked him about it. I don't think he really likes to speak about it either.

In fact, he still has some sort of hatred for Japanese people and politics. Like he'll call Japanese (possible Asian people in general) some racial slurs. I've seen him lick his finger and smudge out George Bush's face in newspapers before. I would equate him to a bit like the main character from Gran Torino except a bit older.

Quite an interesting guy nevertheless. He once shot an opossum in the eye with a BB gun and stuffed it in his freezer to either cook it or show it off at a family gathering lmao

I think that is the only person I know of personally that served in WWII.

• My dad was drafted, his unit was taken pow, he managed to escape the day after, before being deported, had to go underground until the end of the war, surviving without rationing card.
    My uncle and aunt were caught and sent to camps, only my aunt survived.
    My father in law was rounded up, sent to a forced labor camp for years.
    In 45 my two granddads and one granny were killed by German V bombs (precursors to cruise missiles), their houses destroyed completely.

• i don't know any living vets but my grandfather served as did a few of my friends grandparents who i knew... but again none are living now

• My maternal grandfather was an officer in the Polish Army and narrowly escaped the Katyn massacre. He fled to the UK and met my grandmother, who was a driver for the RAF.

My paternal grandfather drove landing craft and was lucky to survive when their boat got hit on ops in the Med.

• My grandfather was captured at Dieppe. He was tortured by the Germans for 3 years.
    My grandmother, brother (16) was taken prisoner defending Hong Kong and was tortured by the Japanese to death. My grandmother worked for the Canadian airforce, other grandfather fought in Europe, step-grandfather trained pilots and 4 other family members served in ww2.

• My grandfather was a combat medic in Iwojima. He was awarded the bronze star for his heroism. It's been passed down to my family.

• One of my great uncles served under Patton in Europe. He landed on Normandy on the second day (in a tank), and went all the way to Berlin. His brother served on a destroyer in the Pacific.

My grandfather on their side of the family served in the Navy in the 20s, but not in WW2.

• A neighbor who also was a police officer served in the army.

• ı dont know