Can between be used with if?

"Well this happens when you can't even differentiate between if you got roasted or not."
I don't know it just sounds grammatically incorrect

0|0
1|6

Most Helpful Guy

• In that sentence "between" is probably redundant. Crisp, clean writing dispenses with unnecessary words. It could be reworded this way:

"Well this happens when you can't even differentiate whether you got roasted or not."

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• How about: differentiate whether you got roasted or not

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• The "even" is unnecessary, as is "between" because you only have two possibilities. "If" should be replaced with "whether"

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah that works.

0|0
    0|0
  • English is not my native language but in this situation you should use "whether". Isn't it taught at schools?

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

To all people answering "between" is redundant: "differentiate" is an intransitive verb in this case and it can't take a direct object. Between is necessary here. Why do I even teach you to speak your own language lmao?

• Show All
    • 3mo

@HulkkSmash No, French is much harder. German and Russian seem really impossible. English is the easiest language in Europe.

• 3mo

To master the English language is impossible. You can speak it your whole life, and still learn something new.

• That sounds right.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the between is redundant.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!