If you apologize to someone and they don't forgive you, should you keep trying to apologize?

Im the type that doesn't give up in something she belives in.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, I would give it a rest. If they don't want to forgive me when I have stated an apology, then it's not my problem anymore. Not gonna bother them. All you accomplish is annoy them, they're not going to be appreciative of you apologizing all the time.

Most Helpful Girl

• One sincere apology gets the message across. People know how hard it is to say they're sorry, and since people rarely do it these days, they likely won't forget it either.

But some people enjoy the groveling and want to be pitied and apologized to again and again. That's game-playing. You made a huge effort to extend the olive branch and they either accept it fully or don't. If the person seems like they need time, then give it. If they just don't want anything further from you, respect their wishes. Think of how you'd feel if someone broke your trust and you kept getting needled by them. You did what you could, and personally I think it's great that you were big enough to apologize for anything and know that you did your best with the situation.

I've told him that I'm not giving up on this whatever it may be and I've explained to him how I messed up several times and then I'm like you I did the best I could (something like that) take care. Then he said "I'm not giving up" and says it's my fault and ice told him I don't want to bother him anymore and I've apologized several times.

I'd ask, "What more do you want from me?" If he can't think of anything, but he's wanting to keep you around to grovel, then it's a bit of a power-trippy game he's playing. I guess only you know if he needs more time, but I wouldn't keep on apologizing. You've done more than enough.

What Guys Said 13

• Not your problem... You did your part by apologizing, its on them to forgive if they want to or not. Unless of course you cheated and expect them to take you back which MIGHT NEVER happen...

• Nope you should quit unless you like I don't know accidentally murdered someone they loved or something.

• Up to you how important is the other person to you.

• no. also note that some types of disordered people NEVER really accept apologies... the same ones happen to never really be sorry. they're called "Narcissists". Avoid them at all costs.

• Sounds like you did something bad. If you cheated on him you should give up. No rational man would forgive that.

• Keep trying.

• No. One and done. Apologies are either accepted or not.

• Depends how much you want him/her to forgive you and how important the relationship is to you. But don't bend yourself backwards and change your opinions to please them

You got a good point. Someone you just started talking to is that a bit much for me to do? I like the person and they gave me many chances.

I'm apologizing to a guy (I'm female)

So? Use your imagination, a keychain, guitar pick (if he plays guitar) a cheap pocket knife, be creative.-.

• it depends on the thing u did
    the word sorry is worthless

• Don't wory about it, you've said sorry to them. If they still don't forgive you then just give it time

• No once is enough

• If you apologize and the person doesn't forgive you then it's no longer you problem it is the problem of the person who will not swallow their pride and accept the fact that you are genuinely sorry.

• no give up you will just make it worse if you keep try to say sorry to me.

What Girls Said 7

• No. You've already done your part. If you've apologized sincerely from your heart then itnis up to them to forgive or not. Forgiveness is then their burden to carry.

• Depends on the situation.
    In some situations the person needs time to process and come to terms.
    So it really depends.

• I appologise, but only once. I allow them time to digest what's been said and time to decide if they want to accept my apology or not. If they don't accept it, then that's their decision. I don't keep apologising for the same thing.

• I think of an apology sortof like a gift. You offer it freely and expect nothing in return. Expecting forgiveness means you are only apologizing for your own sake. Just offer your apology once, and leave it at that. Doing it mutiple times might come off as desperate or insincere.

• If you continue to apologize for a long period of time and still no positive response then it best to stop since that person is not the air you breathe

• Forgiveness if not for them. It's for you so if you feel really better for asking for forgiveness, then your job is done. Don't confuse asking for forgiveness with the person's response. Two separate issues here.

• It depends on the situation I guess.