American comedy is not funny to a British audience. Agree or disagree?

Another gager said this on one of my questions. This true?

• Agree
    52% (13)53% (18)53% (31)Vote
  • Disagree
    48% (12)47% (16)47% (28)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
3mo For the record I love Monty Python!

0|1
10|22

Most Helpful Girl

• This totally depends on the talent. I for one don't find gag humour funny. I like sarcastic wit. This means almost half of American humour to me is quite stupid, and half of Brit humour is stupid. It all depends. I love Ricky Gervais but hated Benny Hill. I love Louis CK, but hate Adam Sandler.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think anyone who says that likely hasn't experienced the truly great stuff. I said to the person who made the comment that Friends was lapped up for some reason in the UK but it is not the best example by a long shot.

MAD Magazine I think is the pinnacle. For television, you have Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frasier, The Simpsons and Duckman among the greats.

I have to note that some British comedy I found downright depressing (The Royle Family) and that comes from someone raised by British parents to have a very strong appreciation of not just Python but Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses, and more.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think that's true. It depends on the type of humor, American and British humor have many overlapping points. Monty Python is much more reminiscent of a modern day American humor to me... Slapstick, very on the nose and most of all silly...

But there is a sarcastic, dark humor and witty edgy humor in both contries for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, some of the American comedy is entertaining. I think that Friends has been pretty popular here, so has stuff like Impractical Jokers and Jackass, that kind of shit. I think we just tend to prefer our own dry humour :P

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends, a lot of people I know love Monty Python, it personally doesn't crack me up but I can appreciate the humor. However, I think we don't always get a kick out of British comedy as Americans. It just depends. There are so many forms of comedy. I don't think an entire nation sticks to one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree, my grandmother is still very British in most of her ways, including that sometimes odd dry sense of humor! Which I sometimes don't get, and she sometimes doesn't get mone either.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally find 'British' comedy rather dry. (Sorry!) But I find American comedy humorous depending on who the comedian is.

0|0
    0|0
  • British comedy is not funny to Canadians, and Canadian comedy is probably not funny to everyone, so it only makes sense

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time it probably isn't due to how much Americans have to censor their jokes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Since I'm not British I have no idea
    If there's comedy I like it.
    It doesn't matter whose comedy is

0|0
    0|0
  • I just don't understand British people

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• As a British person, I must admit I find myself watching some American comedies, like the Big Bang Theory (haven't seen it in months but it fits the example) and waiting for a laugh that never comes...
    It's like, you watch the whole thing, waiting for something funny, the audience laughs at some really forced jokes, and you get to the end disappointed :/

It's not like I think there are no funny Americans, I loved Good Morning Vietnam and Ace Ventura *cough* Canadian *cough*, but if I want to laugh, I'm more likely to go to watch HIGNFY or turn Dave on than watch Friends or something.

(obviously, I'm just one person)

0|1
    0|0
  • Hard for me to say. I don't find British comedy all that funny for the most part, so I could certainly see the opposite being true.

0|0
    0|0
  • South Park, excellent.

Big Bang Theory. Shite.
    Friends. Shite.
    Most other American comedy, especially the sitcoms. Bloody awful!

Then again, Americans don't seem to get British comedy. Nor Canadians. I think it's largely a cultural thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • FRIENDS, Seinfeld, Frasier, Modern Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, all very successful and critically acclaimed shows in the UK.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the most part. But British humor isn't exactly funny to most Americans. I actually was watching a thing on it a whole ago... Gimme a minute

0|1
    0|0
  • It only makes sense to be funny in the culture that it's in since I don't think British humor is as funny or in India since I'm not used to that culture to get it just as people don't get American humor that I do but I still do get it most times

0|0
    0|0
  • And vice versa. For the most part the humor styles don't translate well. It's not better or worse just different.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like both. One's stupid funny, the other's witty funny.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd have to be British to answer it, or at least have lived among them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, I've met many who love American comedies. Some say they don't get British humor but I LOVED Faulty Towers and Monty Python!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing is funny to a British audience

1|0
    0|1
  • Some American comedy is just shit and not funny lmao

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah. I love American humour.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm partly agree. America is a huge country and the sense of humour varies from state to state... For example, some American comedians have a drier sense of humour which is more 'British', like Reg Hall.

0|0
    0|0
  • British comedy is not funny to any audience.
    Hue.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most American comedy is mediocre and obvious. The British are used to more subtle humour.

0|0
    0|0
  • British people don't like to laugh because of the teeth thing

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know... I;m an American. I absolutely loved Monty Python. I'm sure some Brits like American comedy...

0|0
    0|0
  • Agreed.

American humour is pure dog shit and not at all funny, it's like it caters for simple people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree. Brits are used to real humor. American comedy is cringe worthy, americans just don't have a sense of humor

0|1
    0|0
  • Sit coms or stand up?

0|0
    0|0