Cheap friend doesn't pay for dinner but will eat everyone else's food?

I have a really great friend that never buys her own food but will always eat someone else's food.

For example, when we all go to a restaurant for dinner, everyone in the group will order a couple of appetizers and entrees and then we do family style and share the food. But she will claim that she isn't hungry and might just order a small plate or something for herself. She doesn't share this with the group.

But throughout dinner she will eat just as much, if not more, than anyone else. Even though she says isn't hungry , she will still eat our food. But at the end of dinner, she won't pay for it. She'll just pay for what she ordered.

Does that seem fair to you guys? If someone doesn't contribute to dinner but will eat it still the same? Shouldn't she pay for some of it?

and she's not struggling for money or unemployed or anything. She actually does really well for herself. Help please. Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• "... everyone in the group will order a couple of appetizers and entrees and then we do family style and share the food."

SMH ugh! Don't you realize that people like your buddy there "invented family style" for that reason lol.

She's an asshole, she knows what she's doing.
    I never understood why people enjoy sharing food like this, i fucking hate it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess some people think they're just so cute that they can get away with everything. I hate people like this.

"Ohh I'm not hungry... I'm not ordering much..."
    If that was said and then I see her pigging out, I would make it obvious, "What happened to your appetite? When you ordered you said you weren't hungry, now you're eating half the food on the table."

Or, the next time going out if she pulls the same nonsense, remind her, "Yeah you said that last time and ate our stuff, remember?"

Another way to stop it, if outing her publicly doesn't work is to agree that everyone pay a percentage of the entire bill, no matter what is ordered. Four of you go out? Simple: You pay 25% of the bill. Can't? Then don't come. You need to make a solid arrangement before going out that this can't continue and to be fair to everyone, you set up a system. Guaranteed that if she finds she has to pay for 25% of the bill, she'll eat her own meal.

Another way to stop it is to find something to do that doesn't involve food. Go for coffees instead. Or, if food is involved, have a potluck, whereby she has to make a casserole or bowl of something to contribute like everyone else.

I would give her these warning signs before just dropping her from these get-togethers so that you can say if nothing else worked, "We've tried to do this, that, and the other thing so you would stop being selfish, but it hasn't worked, which is why we're not calling you to go for food." At least it gives her a chance to shape up.

Maybe even privately, one of you can say, "What's up? We have to pay for this food and we see you eating half of it. Is there a problem? Are you having money trouble? We can always do something else that's cheaper." But let her know that it's noticeable and something that needs to be changed.

If all else fails, then let her find other people to mooch from until she learns in life that it's unappreciated and she should contribute like everyone else does.

What Guys Said 15

• I'm sorry, I couldn't help, but laugh at this.

It's really adorable that you guys are nice enough to accommodate your fri[parasite]end, but I keep on imagining myself slapping fucking eggrolls and shrimp out of this girls hand. Everytime my roommates miss paying their part of the internet bill, I change the password so fast, they don't have time to load their browser. You can't let people mooch, because it does exactly what is happening to you right now. You're getting resentful. Necissary things? Totally. Be a good friend and help her out. Unnessisary things? You have to train her like a dog that shits in the house. For her own good.

• Ok, first of all, she not a "really great friend". Ok, get that straight! Great friends do not do that shit! So either you all put up with it, or you flat out tell her to smarten the fuck up, or you all try to avoid things with her that involve money.

• Simple, don't invite her to group dinner, problem solved.

• She's just a freeloaders, that is a character flaw that she has.

I wouldn't invite her to dinner or anywhere where money has to be split.

• Stop including her in the group's dinner plans.

• Yea In this case she's snaking her way to free food or just not contributing

She should contribute towards everyone

• Confront her she is being a cheapskate

• Stop sharing your food with her! Problem solved.

• Yeah i dont like people either who go out with me and expect to get food and not paying for the food.

• Damn what a sneaky one. She won't admit what she doing because she dilusional and has never been caught being sneaky.

• Don't give her food if it bothers you

• Ask her if she's secretly broke the next time she's doing it, as a joke. It'll be uncomfortable but it's the best way to break it openly. Or be a dick on purpose and go "ohohohooo here she goes again!". Works miracles.

• Have this kind of people in each soecity maybe she will wake up someday.

• Many people people don't notice how much a bit of this and a bit of that can get. Talk with her about it.

• She's a glutton. I bet she's the alpha female in the group. just be honest with her

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, that is terrible manners. She should pay for the food she eats.

• You need to call her out on it man... that's not ok.

• You need to put your food down and let her know that what she's doing is not appreciated. That, or exclude her from any plans involving going out to eat as a group.