Which language do you think is overall better, French or German (please tell me why you chose what you did)?

I'm really planning on do voting a lot of time to learn a new language, and French and German are the ones I'm really thinking about. To me, this is what I like about each

French- Spoken in places all over the globe, sounds soft and more romantic, which is a plus so it would be cool to speak it to my girlfriend that's here when I've learned it, but can sometimes sound snobbish to me
German- Sounds very cool so it'd be awesome speaking to p has a greater recent history in my eyes, but it spoken all over, and doesn't sound as romantic so wouldn't be as good talking to my girlfriend in

• French is better
  • German is better
  • They're about the same

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're business-oriented, like to travel and want a high-paying job, choose German. Here are some fun facts:

•German is a lingua franca in most of Europe
    •It's more similar to English that French, making it easier to learn
    •Germany is the world's second-largest exporter and its economy ranks #1 in Europe and #4 worldwide. Think of all the business opportunities.
    •German is the second most-commonly used scientific language and the third largest contributed to research and development.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a German native and I've gone through a total of 8 years of mandatory French in school. So while I speak both languages, I do of course have a preference towards German.
    One thing I can definitely tell you is that the literature in German is by far more interesting in my opinion. And I'm not just talking about 18th century classics here. Even the late 19th and 20th century have given birth to some of the most amazing writers ever, who just so happened to be German-speaking. Think Franz Kafka, think Hermann Hesse, think Thomas Mann, Berthold Brecht, Max Frisch, Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Frank Wedekind... or if you're into philosophy and the social sciences you could read Nietzsche, Adorno, Marx or Freud in the original. Sure, France has its Satre and its Camus but - no offense to all the French people - the literary wealth of the German language just cannot be topped. There's a good reason German is often called "Die Sprache der Dichter und Denker" (the language of poets and thinkers).
    As for the romantic-ness of the French language... I think that's also quite a bit of a cliché. Americans looove to over-romanticize France and its language. The truth is: any language can sound beautiful if spoken in the right way by the right person and any language can sound ugly if spoken in an ugly way by the wrong person. Case in point: Chinese. If you walk through the streets of Beijing and you hear all those men in their 50s with greasy hair and cheap suits stand on the sidewalk and talk to each other, while making puking sounds and almost spitting right on your feet while you pass by, it's easy to think that Chinese is the ugliest language on the planet. However, if you have a girl with a pretty voice read a classical Chinese poem to you, it can sound absolutely beautiful. The same is true for German and French. Many non-Europeans think of German the way Hitler spoke it. Now, that's very ugly. German can also sound very pretty however. And while French girls may sound hot or romantic, there are also more than enough French people who speak their language in a way that you don't want to hear them one minute longer.

What Girls Said 4

• I say it depends all on the person speaking it honestly.
    French is smoother on the ears's, German is more rugged. Both would get the job done.

• I would say French is better.
    Like you said it sounds romantic, I also think it's a classy language, it's spoken in more countries than German. And it's easier to learn than German.

• German is hard! Believe me!

• For pussy, French. :)

German for business.

What Guys Said 4

• French. Why? Cuz I know it. If I knew German, I'd be able to judge.

• German ist Auf corse Betta.

• French :word consist of 7 letters but only 3 is pronounced

German : every letter pronounced

Not true at all. In French. the grouping of letters often dictates the pronunciation. Just because you don't sound out each individual letter doesn't mean the letters don't affect the pronunciation.

@iamwoot so it's easier to spell German than French
      But German language structure is more is more complicated and solid which make it easier for me
      I prefer things that follow rules and logic more than the things that is going by sense

• They're about the same