How long would it take?

How long do you think it'd take to learn the general overview of world history and then go into depth with the more important stuff? Would it take 6 months, a year, or what? Obviously I'd start with childrens history books for a general overview, then move to adult history books, then books from different time periods and then books written about different time periods and so forth. How long would it take? If I had nothing but free time on my hands and I could just wake up and read for the whole day? Thanks a bunch.

What Girls Said 1

• I can only tell what I have done during my studies if that will help you form some sort of study plan -
    1] Study the history of the Roman Emperors = Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Nero, Galigula to see how the Republic -especially under Julius- moves from Republic into the Imperial System.

2]The American Civil War

3] The Victorian/Edwardian Era 1837-1901 To learn how a small island in middle of North Sea rose from virtual obscurity to become an Empire that affected the lives of multiple millions.

4]The Great War of 1914-1918 - the effects of which still with us today

5] Second World War 1939-1945- the most trumatic period in world history and the aftermath which brings about the rise of America and Russian as the worlds two great super powers.

6] History is being written today so I would suggest you read the newspapers and magazine I read to help you keep abreast of "modern" history- Newspapers I recommend are the Guardian, Observer, The Times, Sunday Times and Washington Post all available on internet. And the magazine you must read weekly is the Economist to which I subscribe. For Middle East news read the Debka Files on internet.

Hope that helps you.

What Guys Said 0