Who would you rather save? Your dog or a random person?

Got asked that at school. I responded my dog obviously, yet many people said they would choose the person. Not gonna lie, i was kinda shocked that somebody would choose to save a random person over their dog

Most Helpful Girl

• My pet dog because I have a strong emotional connection to them and for all I know that random person could be a rapist or a murderer and I have absolutely no attachment to them whatsoever. I also don't see how the life of a human does have any more value than that of another animal. Earth is disgustingly overpopulated with humans anyway and literally all they do is exploit and kill off this planet one by one.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dog every time - I am with you on this

Great. I knew i wasn't the only one

What if that random person was you?
      Would you guys still be okay with someone choosing their dog over your life?

@ayylamo That's cool - A person's dog is more important, I am just a random

What Girls Said 32

• So you'd let person die over dog? I have dog but if I could save some persons life I would do it. After all he/she is person... They have family and those would be crying for days or months. Dog wouldn't even know difference.

Honestly, if i had to choose yes. I love my dog, why would i save a random person over him?

So am I from your decision.

"Dog wouldn't even know difference."

WRONG. Look it up. Plenty of videos to document evidence that animals mourn the deaths of family and pack mates just like people do.

• Half would probably say that the dog is just an animal. But those people probably don't understand what it's like to have a dog that is like your kid, or best friend. Many people don't even realize or notice that pets have personalities with likes and dislikes, and feelings just like people.

True. My dog would give his life for me, and you can bet id do the same for him

• http://i.imgur.com/kzb2Bto.jpg

☝️
    In a heartbeat

• My dog. Fuck y'all lol

• My dog isn't a dog, he's family, I'm saving my family if I can only save one.

• my dog

• I asked this question awhile ago. I'd save the human. You argued that the person could be a bad person, that could be true. But it probably isn't. Think of if it was your family member and someone let them die because they saved their dog instead. How would you feel?

Id obviously feel bad for my family member, but i can't blame him/her for choosing his pet

Hey, to you its messed up but to me thinking humans are worth more than other animals is also messed up.
      Different morality for different people

@BuchitaBuchys I was speaking specifically about my example and your response, but I get it. We stand on different sides of the line here. First time for evrything tho right lol

• Umm, my dog wtf.

• My dog of course!

My dog is part of my family... that random stranger could be a bad person.

by the way who ever downvoted me idc! Down vote me as much as you want... I love my dog!

• My dog.
    I'm surprised people chose a random person.. dogs show loyalty, unconditional love, and are always there for you. Most people don't have the capacity to do any of those things, so therefore the dog deserves to live.

• Always the dog.

• I would feel bad for the person, but I love my dogs too much!! They're my fur babies!!

• I'm not that much of an animal lover. If I ever had a dog, eh... sure I would enjoy his company, but I wouldn't love him to the moon and back as though he were my son. I view my dog only as an 'object' that I appreciate dearly. This probably gives away my answer. My feelings towards pets aren't intense and I'm not that selfish to save my dog just because he belongs to me, disregarding the fact I'm not crazy about him. Speaking of my belongings, if instead of my dof it was a relative v. s a stranger, then obviously I'll save my relative. I'll feel differently about my about relatives than how I'd feel about my pet, and not to forget to mention how my family would feel about me if I let a relative die by saving a stranger. I don't know about other parts of the world but where I'm from human death is way more tragic than animal death. If I was capable of stopping a tragedy from happening, I would. Since I'm not too fond of my dog, I would save the random person for their's and their family's sake. As I said, I'm not selfish.

• my dog.

sorrynotsorry

• Random person
    Human life > animal life
    Although both are important, they are not equally important.

You can't be serious

We are talking about YOUR dog, not a random animal, why would you choose a person that you dont even know over him? My mind is blown

Because human life is more important to me.

• My dog of course

• My dogs no question about that

• My dog of course!! He is my baby!!

• The one that I care more. I do not care about random people that I do not know, so my Pomeranian

yes, i agree. many people bad in world and dog and animals always kind

• My dog, no question about it.
    I know I would love my dog, a random person I would not give much of a fuck about. Letting my dog die would be like letting my son/daughter die.

• My dog, humans can be cruel

• My dog over a random person.. my dog.

My dog or soneone who's important to me... then id chose the person.

• Because a dog is a dog, it has maybe 5-6 more years to live, the person might be a parent or have a life partner who would be devastated.

First part got lost there, I don't know why. I'd of course save the person. The lives of human being are more valuable than the lives of dogs, even though I love dogs more than I like most people by far.

• A person.

• i get the dog is very important to you but i mean, a person i think is more important even if u dont even know them. this is because the person has a family, maybe a spouse and even kids. its harder for people to get over a loved one than a dog i guess, and maybe the people that chose the random person over their dog thought of that. I don't know dude, u do u

• The person

• A random person.

• The answers on this thread are alarming.

• I. Don't have a dog

• I love animals a lot, but I would choose a random person.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 30

• Logically, I think you'd save the one you'd be most familiar with and have any emotional attachments for, so it would be your dog, "if" you are only able to save one of the two lives in danger.

The random stranger you aren't familiar with or have any sort of emotional attachment for, you'd feel and think differently about them compared to your own pet or animal close friend.

You could be saving a really really bad person and not even be aware of it. Nkt saying that they necessary are one, but since it's a "random" person, well you get what I mean.

"If" you could save them also, then I would think that you would, but rescuing your own dog would have More Priority over them, especially when you can only save one of the two lives that are in danger.

• My dog. No contest

Would be unfortunate for them, but they have no effect on my life. My dog does

• A human. The reason humans have survived and advanced is because humans can empathize with other humans. If it were switched, I pray to Jesus that some other dude saves their dog instead of you... That's the point. Especially since dogs don't last that long comparatively, anyways

Just or mainly basing it on empathy feels oversimplified

I like the discomfort so I was being rowdy cause you were being a dink.

That's just me being stupid. What I meant to say was that a bunch of things have more or less contributed to our survival, and that the entire thing as a whole can't just be summed up with empathy. That calling it THE reason for our survival was a tad much

@BoopPeenParty not all of it can, but a great majority of problems could simply be fixed through empathy. Now, there are a lot of components to it and a bunch of external factors, but it's essentially been proven that you can fix people being shitty to extremism all the way to terrorism by being empathetic

Also, it's essentially the main reason when you boil down to it. Again, there are a bunch of other factors, but he idea of being empathetic and cognitive thinking is what basically makes us different. The perfect example would be a football example (of the American variety), but seeing how you're from Sweden, I don't know how much you know or understand it. I've had this discussion on this site at least 5 times... I'll just link it. It's pretty lengthy, though. And I'm attempting to write a take on it when I get the chance

• Random person. I may love my dog but I believe a human's life is worth far more than an animal's. If anyone chose to save their dog over my little brother, I'd find them and fucking murder them cold blood for letting my bro die. If they saved their human family member, then I could easily understand - but their dog? Fuck that.

Yeah apparently everyone here thinks like that. And i respect that, but my dog is like a son to me, and family comes first.

When you say "little" brother, I'd save a child over an animal. The adult has a much better chance of getting out the situation, and may have even gotten themselves into it, But a child or an animal wouldn't have the capacity to realize certain dangers that could end a life.

@dragonfly6516 he's a child now but he will grow up later. But that will not mean that he stops being my little bro and that I would not act the way I described.

• I agree with you
    The dog is probably more loyal, good and trustworthy than some random unappreciative person

• If I had a dog, then yes. I would save my dog. There's a very strong likelihood that my dog is already very loyal to me.

• Dog anyday.

• My dog, morons. Why would I have my dog be killed to save someone I don't even know?

• I would save the person. I would assume we was in a place where the percent is a decent person and is somebodies son, daughter, grandchild etc that I would save a life that will most likely outlive my dogs life.

• My dog of course

• My dog cuz f*ck humans.

• I'd save a strange dog over a person I don't know.

• I asked this around at school once.

I found that most of the people I talk to don't hold very much value to human life.
    I was eye-opening.

But yes, I'd save the person.

• I love my dog dearly but morally you should save the random person.

But the specific situation and personal accountability would come into play
    do I risk getting sued if i save the person or risk my own life to a significantly greater degree?
    Does the law in whatever country this is in say I must do x or y in that specific situation that somehow results in me not saving the person to avoid legal repercussions?
    (an example being if moving an injured person to save there life made me responsible for any further injuries and massive medical bills)

• My dog, even over most family members. He's so fuzzy and loyal.

• Random person, and not because as some say that human life should be valued over animal life.. I just can't stand dogs.

• i dont own a dog, and even if i ever own a dog, i would still save a random person

• That random person could be some kind of hitler so the dog I guess.

Exactly. For all we know he/she can be the worthless, meanest piece of shit in the world, and i am supposed to sacrifice the life of my loyal dog for him/her? No thanks

• My dog, its more loyal and useful than a random person.

• Although that would be really hard I love my dog but human life worth more

• Anyone saying their dog is dumber than a sack of potatoes

• i don´t have a dog xD but i´d save a person over my pet any time.

• Person.

I value my own kind.

I'd save a dog over a cat.

What? Would you seriously save a random person ( who could be a serial killer or something for all you know) over your dog?

I don't have a dog either, but my parents have a dog.

He is the bane of my existence. He woke me up with his barking giving me 5 hours of sleep on a 12 hour workday. He also has to be kept in a pen otherwise he pees and shits all over the carpet. I really don't like him.
      http://i.imgur.com/DXFauWg.jpg

@ayylamo thank you

I don't want dogs for hygiene reasons.

• Random person. I'm actually surprised anyone would rather save a worthless dog.

... and pet owners call me the selfish one

Dogs are replaceable. That 'random person' has family and friends who would all be very grateful for you saving his/her life.

• As much as I love dogs I would never be able to chose a dog over a human being.

• Random person

• none

• I'm middling. Probably the person. I'll just have to deal with the guilt

• the person since i don't own a dog

• person cuz i hate dogs.