Do you ever wonder what motivated you to actually get out of bed?

I'm not doing that well today, my depression is kicking my ass again, I woke up and I just felt that everything in my life is hopeless, still do at the moment, but I got out of bed and went to work,
Why did I do that, I mean if I honestly feel that my life is utterly hopeless why did I get up at 7 am and go to work.

I don't understand why I do what I do
:(

Most Helpful Girl

• I wish I knew dude. I think there's something strong in you and me that just tries to kick us back into shape and makes us go to work cause we know if we don't have money we'd be more depressed.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you know that today is just one day, and tomorrow you might feel better. It's not easy when it all seems pointless, I know.

What Girls Said 44

• I absolutely felt this way about five years ago. I went to my doctor, explained my feelings, and she told me I had depression (which I figured). Except in my case it wasn't about feeling badly about myself, it was the fact I couldn't get out of bed and started doing things like calling in sick to stay in bed. She put me on a low dose of anti-depressants just to get me up and managing my life again.

I went to the library and got books on depression because I wanted to learn more about it. Just from reading those types of books, did I want to learn the core of my depression. After identifying what was getting me feeling the way I was, I wanted to learn how to cope with what was going on. I began reading books about *that* issue rather than the depression books.

Sometimes it was a matter of frog leaping from issue to issue to get to the heart of the matter. I found it, identified it, got off the drugs, and began living much better with new found knowledge.

Maybe in your case, that's all it will be. A simple doctor visit first to identify what *type* of depression it is, and go from there.

I got Diagnosed when I was young, I've had it all my life.
      I've been on meds since I was 8. It just gets worse and worse.

• I think you did it because you must have figured you needed to. You need to work to make money so you have a bed to sleep in. Otherwise what would you do?

I think whenever you are feeling that it's too much to get out of bed, focus on one step at a time. Keep moving through the depression. Do your best to have things to look forward to. Whether it's a visit with a friend, your favourite candy or a pet to spend time with. Having things that give you something else to focus on.

There are days where I feel that way too, but then I realize that there are so many things I want in life. Even if it's something as silly as a new purse or piece of clothing. I know if I don't get out of bed and make the money I need to buy the item, I can't have it.

• I had to poop, then there were burgers on the grill downstairs. I'm eating one now...

If no one has told you yet, I look forward to your questions here on G@G. That means you've become a part of my life, and someone who makes me smile. I hope that helps :-)

• I'm very sorry. Depression can be so debilitating for the sufferer. Lacking motivation is a sign of depression , so it shows you are fighting it when you managed to get out of bed when you felt so hopeless. That's an achievement.

If you didn't motivate yourself to go to work then you'd sink deeper into Depression. People with depression need a routine.

If there's one illness I could remove , if I had the power, it would be depression. It's a constant battle to just survive through everyday.

Work motivated me to get out of bed. I have a few things on my mind right now , so if I hadn't have gotten out of bed I'd probably have just spent too much time dwelling on certain things

• Not really. I mean... I usually wake up starving hungry so that's the initial motivation. Other than that, all of my days are usually pretty busy and I'd hate to skip work and not make money, or skip class and throw out all the money I already paid for it/the textbooks, y'know?

• I do it for God, hope of a better day, wisdom of how to love better, knowledge of how to get my life at peace, and I do it because I want to see the happiness of my children.

• Ah no, depression is a bitch :(

There must be some sort of inner strength, deep deep down you know your life is not completely hopeless. There are people in your life that rely on you and need you and perhaps that's what is what is driving you. That's what is driving me

• Wanting to own an apartment complex. I'm thinking of apartments and monopolying my way around Melbourne. I'd like to financially be stable. My boyfriend is in Cali, so being able to buy a house there would be nice. My brother in law is from Cali also. So if he ever wanted to go down to see his mum, he can take my sister with his kids, and he has a place to stay.

• The reason I get up is because I see the next day as a do over. Sometimes I just want get myself tired so I can sleep in.

• It's my idea that every life is precious and meaningful. That being said, I don't think any one on GaG is really qualified to answer that question for you because none of us have the education to do so. If you feel really down and have issues getting out of bed, I would suggest talking to a professional.

• I'm not really sure why I did either. Some days the only reason is not wanting to screw up everyone else's day with my despair. Maybe tomorrow will be better 😐

• U simply dont want to make ur life worse by losing ur job and deep deep deep down there's a grain of sand of hope that things will get better.

And as someone whos had depression kick their ass, it can truly get so much better, better than u thought it cud

• I wonder the same thing, but then I realize what I really have. I've got a family who has stayed through rocky times (no matter how much I wish they would just go the fuck away sometimes), I've got a boyfriend who is working from first thing in the morning to last thing at night just to provide for me and my family, and I've got younger family members like my siblings and cousins to pass on my experiences to.

• I'm sorry to hear that. :(
    I know this feeling so well...
    Well, the only thing that motivates me to get out of bed everyday is my desire to fight for a better life.
    I mean, my life could've been worse, but I'm not satisfied with it at all. Sometimes I feel sad and hopeless because of it.

Hope you're feeling better now. :)

• Feelings. Even when they are negative, the fact that I'm still feeling them means that I'm still here. So I drag myself out of bed and try to make the best of the day. I don't always accomplish that and sometimes feel crappy the whole day, but at least I got up.

• Breakfast gets me up and out of bed. I love food.

• My stubborn inability to give up.

• You sound like me. But I have a dog that wakes me up and lays next to me when I feel sad and never leaves my side. Eventually, I get up because of her. But truthfully, I feel depressed all the time. I'm 26. My career is falling apart, I can't get ahold of my bipolar disorder, I'm moving back in with my parents, I don't have any money, and I'm single with no kids. I feel like a train wreck all the time.

I hope you get better

Its getting to the point where I'm starting to want to listen to that voice in my head, the one that says, "this can all be over."

That's the point when you did to see a psychologist to openly talk about stuff.

• I get up because people are counting on me to. And more times than not it feels good to be productive.

• Those days where you don't feel like doing anything exist. It helps to think of something you have to do, and get up and get dressed

• My granfather banging on the door... haha

Look, think of it this way, you said kicking in again right? So that means it's going to go away again, and why should you let your life slip in your down moments, if that would only dull your up moments?

• I don't really have to wonder about that as it's usually either university or some person having a drama they desperately want me to get involved in..

who the hell downvoted you?

I'm going to be in therapy soon but the problem I've been having for a couple of weeks is finding a good one near me.
      I've done therapy in the past but I just don't know if I'll ever actually get better

Well I don't know about America but in Europe it'll take weeks or even months to get an appointment with a good therapist if you aren't a private patient so you might need a lot of patience, and then depression isn't cured that quickly either. Just make sure you rely on talking more than medication!

• Well, I always remember what my parents told me, " don't depend off of anyone, work hard to achieve your dreams". When I get out of dream world I am actually going to make my dreams come true, they simply don't end when I wake up. I know all my hard work will pay off and I'll be happy with things in life.

• I gotta go to work and there's cake in the fridge, that's why. Sleep is only sweet when I'm tired so I'm gonna tire myself out by doing shit so sleep feels good tonight.

You literally described me lmao

@Mario21 👅👅 I imagine one of the other beautiful things would be sex but I haven't had the pleasure to do that yet. <---- another reason I get up, I might just get laid 😂

Same #ForeverAlone 😂😢

• I'm sorry waffles.. You are welcome to text me anytime on here..
    Honestly, because I'm curious about the future. I wanna know how my body and mind change, if I have kids, if my job gets better. And I know my life will one day be my own. I do it because I know my worth.

• It's my morning prayer honestly.
    If I can't pray, then it would be the thought that I want to change my lazy habits.

• I am happy you woke up and got out of bed that is a good sign. You believe deep down inside your life is worth it. You can't always go by your feelings sometimes you have to shake it off and continue your life. :-)

• I love my job love my salon on my staff.

• The only thing that makes me get up from my bed is myself
    If I don't love myself I don't expect anyone to love me

• You knew it was the responsible thing to do, that you had someone else counting on you to be there. It's why I get out of bed and still work every day.

• More from Girls
    14

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 28

• I tell myself every single fucking day I must stay alive and survive in hopes of making it till the day "Technological Singularity" becomes our reality, so that's my choice and motive.

Last I've checked, "WE" ourselves are the ones that are responsible for our own happiness, or more like "less" unhappiness, realistically anyway. Or at least to just try and keep our unhappiness stabilized and contained. Otherwise the worse case scenario will result in where we either lose it completely and then we would either hurt somebody or ourselves or both.

So what exactly is it that you currently are so so down and depressed about at the moment? Stress at or from your current job? Assholes at work? Your boss stressing you out? We all have to work for a living somehow and that's just the bitter part of it as the cold hard truth is just because you work really hard doesn't guarantee you'll be really successful and have a good position that pays well or is something that would actually even bring you any joy or a sense of accomplishment and/or satisfaction.

If you don't want to work for somebody forever, figure out what other ways you can legally make a good income to supplement your current job or to make enough to entirely replace and leave the job you don't like or hate. Such as starting a small home based business or something. Get help from someone that has done it already, if possible. Don't surrender to fate and always be a follower, we all have the potential to be more than just the average employee that can be replaced at any time these days, we all have the potential to be our own boss and take charge of out destinies.

Have you ever thought about career changes if your job is the source of your unhappiness or hopelessness?

What else could be the source and cause of your hopelessness and unhappy feelings? If it's about the lack of a relationship or significant other, I really can't help you there. All I can say is if you have friends you can trust and count on and us willing to help you such as either willing to be your wingmen or willing to introduce any ladies they are regular friends or known acquaintances that they know ARE Single then that would be the best place to start. Otherwise join a local club or a local social group with similar passions and interests such as through meetup. com. Without a good social support group in real life to seek help and assistance from, everything becomes THAT MUCH MORE difficult for both careers and relationships.

And those 2 are the typical categories as to where we feel that is not bringing us fulfillment and/or happiness. Lack of Social Life and a good group of friends we can talk to and trust and seek advice or assistance from is another area. It's all Psychology here. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs or something like that. But remember to be grateful for what you have for those that do not. If you at least have a job and a place to stay it's still better than anyone that don't have those things such as those that are totally fucking broke and homeless, or even worse, dying and suffering from some horrible and incurable disease or something.

• Great question. You got up because you know there are people who depend on you and you want to be there for them. You want to make them happy that they have you which will make you feel happy. People are happy to see you and do your job. Good work.
    I got/get up because I want to move forward and aim higher in my career and life in general. Looking for a better job so I can get a different home and be more successful. Plus, it will make my siblings proud of me. It's a great feeling to know that there are people who appreciate it.

• Typically the thing that motivates me to do stuff, and the thing that staves off depression is the complete ignoring of all the bad things in my life. I just pretend that they're not there, or that they're not so prevalent, or that they're just not a problem.

• I try not to think about it I just get up because you know I have things to do, I gotta a life. And it ain't gonna stop just because I might feel like it.

Sorry your not doing to well though hopefully you'll find meaning or whatever it is your looking for or lacking.

• I am sorry to hear that your issues are flaring up again. For what it is worth, one revelation I've had is that we do not always need an answer. Sometimes we continue on in life precisely because there is inherent value in living itself. Periods of confusion and uncertainty are normal, and instead of allowing them to dominate us, we need to recognize them for the brief, passing winds that they truly are. It will all come to pass eventually, we just need to remember.

• You're going to work?
    You're lucky! I'm still an unemployed loser :(

But seriously, the only tip I can give you is start to getting used to it: The sooner you swallow that pill, the better and easier you will have living it, accepting, that life is sh! t.

I'm getting up from bed because I'm
    1. Bored and
    2. Have some duties

I'm never swallowing that pill

Oh ok, good. Let's see what he has to say. *grabs popcorn*

@Unit1 I already had, thanks for the heads up.

• Haha sometimes yes... the answer than is generally "duty". You just have to go to work or you promised someone to help out :D
    But indeed there are these days :-(

• I just get up because I feel like I have to.

• Do you have any hobbies such as drawing, painting, etc?
    If so, start a long hard project, and remind yourself that you can't die until it's finished. And when it's finished, start another one, even harder and longer.
    If you like videogames, simply remind yourself that you can't die yet, because there will be new videogame releases every year.

• Bro, I have been there... pretty much my life...

I just want to stay in all day in my comfort zone and not interact with anyone and feel like a failure.

But I guess i just have to accept the fact that I have to get up...

• Honestly? To keep flirting with a girl. Today was a good day though, albeit Im not feeling very well.

• Most humans have a survival instinct that overrules (or "trumps" :) )) our contrary conscious desires. I suspect your survival instincts tell you to get your ass out of bed.

• Find something that you love and get out of bed for it. For me it is stocks and food.

• Why don't you find something that you actually like?

• The things I can do apart from sleeping lol

• The east rising sun shines through a skylight in my loft. I had no choice. :-)

• Sex.

• I live in a house not infested by rats and roaches anymore.

• Fear.

• Making the money.

• Uhhhh... what motivated me to get out of bed? This morning, I got out of bed because I was hungry. On Friday, I got out of bed because I needed to eat my breakfast, and my cereal would get mushy if I didn't.

• Find something meaningful, something you want to live for.

• Nothing motivates me. I'm done with life and caring. I don't give a fuck if I die.

• Because routine has a powerful grasp
    I hope your feeling better again soon

• Nope, life does

• I've had the same thought. I don't know.

• Study. Take the time to look in.

• not going to lie I felt down today as well. it never Is a feeling I want.