What does a person with bipolar act like?

I have a suspicion that my friend might be bipolar by the way she acts sometimes. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with someone who is bipolar and if so what are the personality traits? Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• My father has bipolar depression. I think the important thing to remember is that bipolar is to do with very fast, very frequent dramatic mood swings but the moods aren't 'happy and sad like we might think'. Many people with bipolar depression describe it as 'fast and slow', I think most notably Carrie Fisher from the Star Wars series described it that way. It's periods of almost frenzy where everything is a rush and emotions are hightened and they go through things super quickly and then there are the low periods where everything feels dragged out and they lack energy. It's switching from mania to depression and it's obviously emotionally exhausting. The average age of onset is 25 years (though it can affect anyone of any age) so if she's close to there, you might want to raise the suggestion to her but here's a list of symptoms from a website that can describe it much better than I can :P

Mania
    The manic phase of bipolar disorder may include:
    feeling very happy, elated or overjoyed
    talking very quickly
    feeling full of energy
    feeling self-important
    feeling full of great new ideas and having important plans
    being easily distracted
    being easily irritated or agitated
    being delusional, having hallucinations and disturbed or illogical thinking
    not feeling like sleeping
    not eating
    doing things that often have disastrous consequences – such as spending large sums of money on expensive and sometimes unaffordable items
    making decisions or saying things that are out of character and that others see as being risky or harmful

Depression
    During a period of depression, your symptoms may include:
    feeling sad, hopeless or irritable most of the time
    lacking energy
    difficulty concentrating and remembering things
    loss of interest in everyday activities
    feelings of emptiness or worthlessness
    feelings of guilt and despair
    feeling pessimistic about everything
    self-doubt
    lack of appetite
    difficulty sleeping
    waking up early
    suicidal thoughts

So just being a generally moody person or being a bitch does not mean you have bipolar :P

What Guys Said 7

• I have no fucking idea

HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW? STOP ASKING DUMB QUESTIONS!

lol sorry I wasn't helpful but good luck :)

• As someone else said check internet for more detailed signs but a good starting point would be moods like big highs doing irrational things (I love myself, I am going to spend my rent on a nice jacket) mixed with big lows (I am staying in bed for four days, I don't care if work want to fire me)

• being bipolar means dealing with extreme mood swings, like one day your extremely happy and the second day your extremely depressed. but bipolar has its stages and different kinds.

• Lol I think people like that have extreme hifhs and lows... Either too happy or top depressed or too angry... and act crazy sometimes!

• Their emotions are more extreme. They are extremely happy and excited, or extremely morose and sad.

• You have the entire internet at your fingertips. Google that shit.

Thanks tips. Just looking for more personal experience I guess. From the GaG community. K brah

• depends, mental illness doesn't exist.

What Girls Said 5

• it is a psychological disorder. she need to see a doctor. I had a girl from my university who is diagnosed with this,, she was famous - pretty with great exam results, actively involve in co-curricular activity... until the whole school knew she was a fraud, she cheating her boyfriend with a hacker, and cheating in her exam with the help of the hacker, she manage to get the university exam papers (he gave her for free lol) and impressively, she sold the paper to some students in a very high price (about $40 per page, not the whole paper, PER PAGE!), suddenly the whole people hate her, her boyfriend left her, the hacker was pissed and told the higher management about her, just to make his punishment reduce from being expel from our university, she loss lots of friends and also her fame.

she had a huge depression as her parents too in a process of divorce, that's when she got that. she tried to jumped from a building, she has few personality, sometimes she was sweet, then she become religious, preaching everyone who passed her in a park, a minute after that suddenly she became grumpy and scolded every person she met while she was walking, she screaming, she ran, and did anything that we can see it as... abnormal. she need to take her medication on time, and everybody around her must supportive and help to assist her in achieving peaceful mind - travel, healthy lifestyle, anything.

• Bi Polar has a huge spectrum, similar to autism but more.. diverse if you will. The flow from manic and depressed can vary from person to person and it also has a range of severety or how extreme it gets. The swings could be over months or days or weeks, everyone is different, so a psychologist or psychiatrist should diagnose her

• Manic depressive.

Does she have extreme highs and lows?

We went to McDonald's she wanted fries and a chocolate shake. I got her fries... large fries and she fucking flipped because she only wanted a medium. I said okay well calm down (that was a mistake to say) I'll eat what you don't she says no fuck you the birds can have them LOL fucking flung them out the window. The birds were scared as fuck they flew away.. and they looked really hungry but they totally sensed her demonic presence. She said drive me home NOW. I said listen bitch.. get out of the car you're acting like a toddler. She did... And stomped her foot like a two year old as I drove away.

Sounds more like narcisstic disorder than bipolar (though both can go hand in hand).

Bipolar usually is when a person is super hyper one day / and really down another.

Read here about narcissm:

www.anonymousconservative.com/.../
      www.anonymousconservative.com/.../

• @bipolarjew

darnit was there a hyphen?

Can't Jew just give me some pointers? I dont think jew understand how this is effecting my life.

• That is called bitch fit as opposed to bipolar

LOL thank you

You did the right thing kicking her out of the car as if you would of took it, and said nothing, she'll do it all the more thinking your going to take that kind of shit!

Ur totally right. Gtfo the car bitch never come back