Are you comfortable with human eye contact? Or does it make you uncomfortable?

I just had to do an exercise for my dance class that involved finding a partner and then keeping eye contact with them without saying anything and it was the most frustrating and awful thing I have had to do so far. I feel so awkward doing that for such a long time. I always feel the need to break away.

How about you?

• I am comfortable with it
  • No way, that would be way too awkward for me
  • I guess it depends on the person I am looking at
  • No one shall stare into my eyes for they will see all of my deep hidden secrets and feelings. Neeeveeeeerrrrr!!!
  • Ugh fuck that shit
  • I love making eye contact with strangers 😄
  • -flies away-

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• I make a point to retain eye contact because it shows confidence, allows you too roughly decipher what an individual thinks of you, and it generally doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Plus it's fun to see how long it takes someone to have a mini mental breakdown from it.

• Yeah i love it to me it's super awkward when someone doesn't make eye contact, it's just such an untrustworthy sign.

• I'm completely comfortable having eye contact while interacting with pretty much anyone, unless that person has a weird tick, or a huge mole on their face or smth like that theb it might get distracting.

Someone staring from a distance makes me awkward, though, and I start acting thuggish when that happens, like "the fuck are you lookin' at?".

• I am uncomfortable with it.
    Here think it is manner, some of them seem to be told to do like it
    The manner rule them.
    Cause they find out a skill to look at their nose.
    So they are the same with me.
    But they still follow the rule. I dont like the situation on many sides
    Why dont they speak out it is uncomfortable to show understand for each other. Still keep creeping under manner/rule

• Not really, I wear shades so people can't. If I don't wear them I feel like this storage.googleapis.com/.../1441542733908338.png

• Human eye contact burns my soul... I can't take it...

• I have no issue with it. I learned it very early on that you look into other peoples eyes while talking to them as part of common courtesy. Thus it is no issue for me.

I have trouble looking into peoples eyes while talking. It just gets awkward. Who is supposed to look away first? Do you ever feel even a bit uncomfortable?

@Nate1941

Well, there is a difference between staring and looking. Also it depends about context. In a group it is different than from person to person. Also there is a difference if you are already good friends with someone or barely know them. With friends for example my view wanders around quite a bit more - something that would surely be seen as disrespectful by people who do not know me.

Generally speaking you don't force it. Instead of staring, try to pay attention to eye movements and mimics in general so you are somewhat occupied. Don't bother about looking away either. Nothing wrong with it when you go back to looking at eyes.

The key is that it doesn't feel forced nor like staring. Instead you should radiate interest in the person with your own gaze.

Ok thanks!

• I could sense the a whole lot of awkwardness when it comes to looking at a woman's eyes because making eye contact just puts me in the middle of embarrassment. Some people love this while others don't.

• I think C if I am comfortable with the person.

• Too much and its weird. This tends to be the case so often with me. People think its okay to stare at me because im beautiful.

• I love when a girl makes eye contact with me i kind of blush
    even if it's just being friendly like in your instance.

• its fun to have eye contact with girls.

• i love it... I'm frequently told I can stare into [her] soul...

• I used to, until a girl who had a crush on me did that far too much.

• Really uncomfortable... I just don't like it for some reason.

• I have a problem looking at people in the eye. Espeically if they're attractive :/

• Yeah im comfortable with it for the most part

• -flies away-

• It makes me uncomfortable, especially when a woman does it.

What Girls Said 11

• 1|0
  • I've been told I make people uncomfortable with the amount of eye contact that I don't break while talking to other's😂

• If it's aggressive or intimidating eye contact, then no, I don't.
    But otherwise, I am fairly comfortable with it!
    Although, I struggle to make contact with attractive guys lmao.

• If it was with someone I love then eye contact is amazing
    With random people I find it uncomfortable

• Eye contact for everything but sex, I can do with ease.

During sex = totally impossible for me with anyone.

• You get used to being comfortable with it.

For a long long time I couldn't look some people in the eye. Now it's much more easier to do.

• I make eye contact with everybody

• I am comfortable with it.

• Yes. I need to make eye contact.

• It's weird with strangers but with people I know I'm ok with it

• For me it's very awkward making eye contact with people