Should I tell my daughter about 9/11 ?

My daughter was watching Flight 93 with her brother. She keeps asking me if this really happened and why did it happen. I don't know if I should tell her about it yet. I don't want her to feel scared and worry. I use to have nightmares about 9/11 when I was younger around the time every year to this day I still have them. I don't want her to do the same. I was only 8 when 9-11 happened I don't remember it. I don't even remember where I was or what I was doing. I hear so many different stories of it it's so confusing to me. I was worried I'll have to explain it to my own kids one day. I don't remember much I don't know what to tell her. The only thing I could think of to tell her is that planes crashed killing thousands of people and even children. How do I tell this to her or should I even tell her yet? She's only 3.

Most Helpful Guy

• Too young at 3 - Skirt around it and tell her later when she can process it better - A child would get nightmares about that and worry about parents going to work etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• Be honest with her. She won't get as much nightmares that doesn't concern her in that way. Only when its personal can it become nightmares. If she can handle a movie like that, she should be okay. I watched movies with my parents young as well. I don't encourage it. But she sounds far more mature for a 3 year old. Just tell her to the best of your ability that she can understand. And if you don't know how to answer some questions, just tell her that you don't know, honestly. Because if you lie to her, she will remember that and may grow to distrust you as she gets older. Just do your best and she will understand and will love you more for trusting her as a 3 years with that information. It will also teach her to respect and trust you more as she grow up.

What Guys Said 13

• And why exactly is a three year old toddler watching this movie? What kind of mother are you?

• Yeah, what's it been like 15 years now anyway.

• It's up to you but she won't be able to comprehend or fully understand it until much later.

• tell her the muslim did it bc they hate your way of living
    they did it using voltron flame sword
    srsl tell her it was a bad day where many people died
    the end

• 3 years old? I don't know I think you should wait till she's 7 at least or something

• Explain to her that George bush and co did it.

• Just tell her that some very bad people did something very bad.

• She's asking this as any other question. You can answer it without going into too much detail.

• Oh for godsake let your children grow a backbone you coddler.

• What kind of parent lets little kids watch R rated movies about tragedies like that?

• Why would they watch a movie like that

• Yes, tell her what happened. That the President of the time ordered planes to crash into the World Trade Centre so he would have an excuse to go to war.

• Go for it my grandpa told me what he did in ww2 when I was 3 or 4 and I turned out fine

What Girls Said 6

• no offense but kids who were super young at the time or weren't born at the time don't really care as much about it.

• No. Keep her in her safe space. #logical

• First of all why are you letting your 3 year old watch something that could potentially terrify her and has the violence in it? If you didn't want her to be asking questions then you shouldn't have let her watch it to begin with...

• Just tell her that yes, that did happen, because sometimes bad people in the world do bad things and that's no ones fault. It's silly to think that a child cannot process REALITY. You just have to teach them in an age-appropriate way.

• Why was she watching that in the first place? Isn't she a bit young? I think that was irresponsible.
    But now that she has watched the movie anyway I don't see the point in lying to her about it. You don't need to explain it in details or how horrible it actually was, but why don't say something like "yes it happened, and it was a very sad day". She will figure it out anyway, childeren are curious and will ask other people too.

• You should tell her, but not in graphic detail. Tell her exactly what you put in the question, "I dont remember much about it because I was young but it was a terrible day. Planes crashed and killed many people but the person responsible was caught." Tell her one day when she is older you will explain more about it but nows not the time.