How can you tell if a conversation you're having with someone is going well?

A. In person
B. Through text?

I can be bad at gauging that.

Most Helpful Girl

• In person: they actally seem engaged, not bored looking at their phone or looking around, giving me in depth answers instead of monosyllables, eye contact, genuinely smiling/laughing, relating with me, healthy debating etc.

Through text: texting consistently without very large time gaps in between (although the person could get busy at times so don't accusing the person of not being interested just cause they didn't respond right away), no one word answers, meaningful answers etc

Most Helpful Guy

• Gut feeling but there is also the possibility you are fooling yourself - Terrible expression but if they "Come Back For More" or perhaps just stay and seem relaxed with you, I take as a good sign. It is easy to see when things are going wrong, they are so tense their shoulders are ear level.

What Girls Said 17

• In-person:
    The person is smiling or laughing. You're having back and forth conversation with no awkward pauses. The other person reciprocates with questions and comments of their own. It does not feel so one-sided as a result.

Online/through text:
    It's kind of similar to being face-to-face with someone. If the other person is giving you short responses, isn't asking follow-up questions, isn't open to sharing more details, is not including emojis or "haha" comments, etc... then you probably want to back off.

• In person? I'd probably look for facial expressions, does the person seem like they are enjoying the conversation? Eye contact? Smiling? Are they asking questions? This to me means that they are wanting to know more.

Through text? If the replies aren't too short and snappy, it doesn't take days for them to reply and if they seem genuinely interested... Again, asking questions and not putting the conversation to an abrupt stop.

• A and B = when the conversation is flowing. Both people are bringing topics into the conversation, listening to each other and just overall enjoy talking to one and another. I believe having a great conversation with someone, is when you lose track of time.

• They usually open up more :) laughter is a great sign. Then leaning to face you, mirroring of gestures. Smiling :)
    Through text-they'll text longer, more detailed messages and they'll respond quicker :) and if they didn't use them before, they might add more emojis :)

• Body language! They'll be open, facing you, engaged, making eye contact, and adding to it, so as to encourage it to go further.

Over text, emoticons are used more, and they keep replying.

• I know it when their replies are not how they usually are.. or they're too short..

• in text: person doesn t reply
    takes time to answer
    short answers
    in person: avoids eye contact
    makes it brief
    rolling his eyes
    doesn t initiate anthng nor take the effort to keep the convo going

• I can't lol

• A. Me smiling + not being aware of time + not looking around for an exit route
    B. I dont give people I date my cell numbers

• the conversation keeps going

• They talk more, add to it, and sound excited/interested.

• The conversation has to contain substance and is continuous.

• In person :they talk as much as you talk (they don't look bored)
    In text : they don't send you long replies like "ok, yes, sure, why etc. " these may be used but not all the time

• Everything I would have said in my answer has already been said :(

• i know that if you're rude or just not making the person happy irl they usually look down.

in text, you can't really tell.

in person, you they smile (for real) and even laugh.

• You can tell from the amount of times they blink

• It's hard to say. People can be deceiving either way.

What Guys Said 4

• Enjoying myself is the most important factor. It's what I care about most. That usually happens when there's a connection. It can be about something silly or something we understand each other on, like reflecting about the world. I wouldn't worry about trying to make all interactions go well. Sometimes one of you may not be in a good mood or you may just have different mentalities towards life which is okay.

• Whoa is that pic in hawaii?
    A) They are smiling and not looking away... but im autistic and look away all the time
    B) I am a terrible texter.

• The girl doesn't call you a Cis Scum and doesn't say you're misgendering her. Also doesn't say you have white privilege. That's when you know you're having a good conversation.

• I did really guess 50/50.