Does it annoy you when people don't use proper grammar?

And I'm not say completely prim and proper.
I'm talking about when they use "was" in the wrong places, and ask questions that make absolutely no sense when you read them because of all the misuse?

Again I'm not saying perfect grammar or anything. Just where you can't understand them.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are my weekly, no, make that MONTHLY, FAVORITE poster!!! THANK YOU!!! You are even a contender for the YEARLY Favorite, award. Sadly, I cannot offer much of anything but a public THANK YOU for knowing!!!
    There are so many here, that have such horrible grammar, and spelling, and have ABSOLUTELY NO UNDERSTANDING of homonyms!!!
    I'm not talking about the ones that are here that have English, as a second, third or fourth language, but the ones, that ONLY speak American English, that they supposedly learned in our schools!! And they do it SO BADLY, that people that speak English as a second or third language, maybe laugh, and wonder!!
    Such a shame, that so many, don't even understand the basics!!
    I think that is why some are trying to change the Pledge of Allegiance from 'One Nation, under God' to 'One Nation, undereducated'!!
    I have thrown out DOZENS of resumes, for jobs, because of grammar, spelling, and the improper use of the homonyms!!
    I read some of these, and it is a joke!! Hiring an Administrative Assistant, that doesn't know the difference between 'your', 'you're' and 'yore' is just not going to happen!! That person reflects on me, and if they are some illiterate moron, that makes me look bad, and influences my business reputation!! It also isn't protected under the "Americans with Disabilities Act"!
    Does anyone use Spell Check, and Grammar Check in MS Office?

Thank you!!!
      And I agree about the Pledge of Allegiance thing.
      Not only spelling and grammar but, simple math as well.
      I have run into SOOOO many people that couldn't count change at fast food places and even stores like Walmart. I don't expect them to be geniuses but for goodness sakes! They can't count change!

I know!! The change is 45 cents, and you get 4 dimes and 5 pennies!! REALLY? :)

What Guys Said 18

• I study linguistics and so I try to look at it from a scientific viewpoint. Linguistics says that particularly in the realm of spoken language, there is no such thing as "right" or "wrong" English. These terms are based on laypeople's understanding of how language works. The truth is that languages are in a constant flux on all different levels (phonology, morphology, morpho-syntax, semantics, pragmatics etc.). This is why linguists prefer to look at non-standard forms of English as independent "varieties". A good example for this is AAVE (African American Vernacular English). For a long time, AAVE was considered "wrong" English and some schools in the US even prohibited their students from speaking it. However, in the late 1990s, a couple of famous linguists were able to prove that AAVE is not inferior to other English varieties in any way. Though it makes use of some unique grammatical, phonological and syntactical features, it is just as complex as the different varieties of white English and it is just as efficient and functional in expressing yourself in all matters of life. You can compare this to different English dialects. Whether somebody speaks American English or Australian English doesn't say anything about their intelligence or ability to express themselves. None of these dialects is "superior" to the other. They're just different. The same is true for sociolects, such as AAVE or the different social varieties related to sex, gender, economic class, age etc..
    So when people speak in different varieties, it doesn't bother me at all - quite the opposite, I find these different varieties extremely interesting. For example the AAVE feature of not conjugating verbs in the third person singular form doesn't just come out of the blue. People don't just say "He don't come" because they are stupid. Language doesn't work randomly. There are linguistic and historical reasons why these forms are being used. In fact, in some aspects, non-standard varieties of English such as AAVE can express MORE than standard English. For instance AAVE actually possesses more linguistic aspects than American standard English. Besides the four common aspects simple, perfect, progressive and perfect progressive, AAVE also differentiates between a habitual-progressive "be"- form (he be working) versus the progressive "is +ing"-form (he is working). So while many white speakers mistake phrases such as "she be having fun" to be an error, it is in fact a perfectly fine

grammatical feature that does not exist in standard English (at least not explicitly).

Now, when it comes to written language, I would say it depends on the cultural frame conditions. In the case of English, there are certain spellings and ways of writing that are considered to be "right", although this is linguistically questionable. So in this case, I believe it makes sense to follow these rules. However, this is not the case for all languages. My native tongue is Swiss. Though Swiss can easily be viewed as an independent language based on linguistic criteria, it does not possess any system of spelling or any kind of official standard. It's probably one of the most "democratic" languages on the planet. There are about 30-40 different dialects within Switzerland and they are all considered equally important and equally "correct". Though high German is used for official things, we usually write Emails and text messages in Swiss and everyone just writes the way he feels comfortable.

• It does get annoying at times. I have to reread the phrases a couple of times to understand what the person meant. I have gotten used to most of them thus don't require much thinking to understand.

• Yeah, and it hurts my brain too.

• I don't expect perfection, but at least put in some SOME effort. It takes so little for people to make things understandable.

• Yes if it's to the point that I can't understand the person. I'll go "no I don't know 'what you're saying", that's why you're saying it.

• Yeah it's very annoying , then I have to figure out what they mean

• Yes, it does. :/

• If someone misplaces a comma or makes an obvious typo, no biggie. However, when people's grammar is so bad that it's nearly impossible to comprehend, it grinds my gears.

• Ugh, yes my friend does a lot... It makes me mad, This is how he sounds like "C u 2morrow i gtg" soo annoying

• Yes, sometimes.

• I'm not a native English speaker and even I see tons of errors here. :p

• Her and me am really pissed by that.

• A little bit, I can feel the hackles on the back of my neck rising.

• 0|0
  • yes, some sentences are nearly impossible read for me

• Sounds like your pedantic.

...

You are just making her case, dude!! You should have used "You're" the contraction of YOU ARE!!

Not when you make it so easy to make the point of the one that posted, just that, above!!
      Not meaning anything but casual guy-to-guy jests!! Sometimes I mistype too. . .
      Let's call it that, and have a good night, OK? :)

@SomeGuy37 I didn't mistype. I set it up on purpose.

• "And I'm not say completely prim and proper."
    Bitch, please.

• Nope. I doesn't care

What Girls Said 4

• No, not really.
    With all of the People that I have Known in my own Life, and even having Married a Muslim Man out in Egypt, I just Roll with the Punches and All of The... Improper Grammar.
    Good luck and Good question and Over look it. xx

• yes you was so right? Bad, grammer! infuriates me;

• No lol

• It doesn't really upset me because they probably don't know any better. They're trying their best to communicate as clearly as possible, so if they make a few mistakes here and there I have no problems, as long as I understand the sentence it's fine.

I was talking about when you CAN'T understand the sentence.

Well I just get a little frustrated, but not angry.