Is this Ai racist?

Sam Levin in San Francisco, held a beauty contest and the judge was an Ai. Apparently the robots did not like people with dark skin. Out of 44 winners, nearly all were white, a handful were Asian, and only one had dark skin. Although the group did not build the algorithm to treat light skin as a sign of beauty, the input data effectively led the robot judges to reach that conclusion. But the reality, one the the programmers added, is that robots may not be the best judges of physical appearance: “I was more surprised about how the algorithm chose the most beautiful people. Out of a very large number, they chose people who I may not have selected myself.”

A beauty contest was judged by AI and the robots didn't like dark skin

• Yes robots are racist
  • No they're not because they're robots

Most Helpful Guy

• AI is only as smart as the input it receives as training. It can learn, but it always learns from what you feed into it.

If you feed it nature and trees, it will love nature and trees, if you feed the most popular beauty contest winners from the past, it will come out with white people. It's not rocket science. Even if color is not a factor, some face traces are more visible depending on the skin color too.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's the programming.
    A robot doesn't just wake up and say "hey! I am attracted to lightskin!"
    Robots don't have dick or pussy

What Guys Said 21

• Beauty, well physical beauty anyways is always subjective and whatever and whomever is considered "beautiful" is always in the eye of the beholder. AI programs can't really perceive and know what beauty really is or isn't, well at least not yet, if ever, anyway.

Machines aren't capable of any racial bias. It just follows the instruction code and algorithms of the programmers. Unless that AI is capable of independent thinking and emotions we can say otherwise that it made it's own decision and had it's own thoughts and feelings, and therefore maybe then it would be capable of forming or developing a bias of it's own. But that's not the case here.

And since it's a group of programmers that had wrote and built this AI and not solely one person then may I ask is there anywhere in particular that said or specify that the group of programmers or all of the same race or same skin color?

And even if that was the case, does that then automatically meant that they had programmed biased into their AI program? Or that they would be racist? I really don't think so.

All it just said was that the algorithm they created had treat light skin as a "sign" of beauty. Note that it only meant a "sign" of beauty but not the "most beautiful".

Again, the whole thing with the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The programmer that said "Out of a very large number, they chose people who I may not have selected myself.” would meant that he probably did not fully agree with what the results are, as some of those girls the AI program had picked don't appear all that physically attractive to him and he wouldn't have ever picked them as winners if he had been the one solely to judge and decide who the winners should be.

• The data used to teach the neural networks and heuristics likely came from sources located in the USA.

If you took the same code from scratch and ran it in Africa, the Africans would be the most beautiful. In Asia, the Asians, etc.

So, the code isn't racist but the algorithm and initial data fed into it are yielding apparently racist results.

In computer science, we have an adage: "Garbage In, Garbage Out". This is a perfect example of this... as well as an excellent example of a logical fallacy.

• So the algorithms and data have to come from somewhere right? So what I'm thinking is maybe as people we very those as beauty more light skinned than dark. And it gathered that information and concluded that the light skinned girls were prettier not based on looks ya know? I'm unsure but it's a theory why the computer would do that.

• Yes, because if non white people don't get picked, it is racist apparently.

• Robots don't understand racism. So I don't think it's the AI's fault.

• Yes, it's Judgement Day. You people never understood the main plot about Terminator. This is the beginning of the war against Skynet.

This is just the start, artificial intelligence are setting up the targets which are black people. Beware, this is some conspiracy illuminati shit. Everything will be programmed to be racist.

We need to fight Skynet so black people start winning beauty contests. That way we will avoid the war but we must infiltrate Skynet to change all the algorithms before the war begins.

We need John Connor, so we plot that Skynet self destructs before Black Lives Matter change it into targeting white people. We must move quick.

i.ytimg.com/vi/8HRoBHsGLS0/maxresdefault.jpg

• That one black girl must have been smokin' hot.

• Some human programmed them to reject dark skin. We can't say it's racist, through, since this could have been done unintentionally. But it sure wasn't the fault?) of the machine. Someone built and programmed it

• Yeah, the people programming the robots can be racist that is why they act the way they do, i hate this world cause of racism so sad and I'm living proof that
    Mexican women can be racist against White men. I was in Walmart got up gave my seat to a Mexican woman who had 3 kids. She was so ignorant and hateful towards me she spoke something to her kids in her language and took off out the door. Yes it made me feel sad and kept saying this can't be true.

• I read about that, and it was interesting.

It seems to represent the consensus on what beauty is.

If you show me random photos of women about the same age, the highest percentage I would label beautiful will be Eurasians by far, then Asians and Caucasians, then black-white mix, and so forth. Africans from Ethiopia may be attractive, but west Africans (and hence most blacks in the US) would be near the bottom, above only native South Americans, Australian Aborigines, and Papuans.

it obtained the results I would expect.

• Robots do what algorithms tell them to do and very rarely do they mutate algorithms which occurs about as often as biological mutation. (Which is about 1 in a 1,000,000,000 codes/genes.) OuO More likely there was a glitch in the coding or a hardware malfunction.

• I wonder what would have happened if the ai had only black people to choose from.

• The flaw is in the programming somewhere in how it got its standards of beauty probably from white biased media images.

• What this suggests is that Caucasian women have facial and bodily ratios that better fit mathematical ratios that help determine attractiveness. Nothing racist about it. You can't hate science because you don't like the results.

• There's a difference between a robot and AI. "Artificial intelligence" regards to androids. I don't know if an android can be considered racist, but for robots it's just the opinions of the programmers.

• The programmer is a racist.

• i think they are programmed in a wrong way

• Oh boy.. political correctness even attacks robots :(

• Well o guess even robot agrees that the white race has the best aesthetics.

• It's not the robot's fault that black women are unattractive.

• It's not racist to not find a particular skin color attractive, everyone has their own tastes, even robots... However I doubt black people wrote the algorithm, you would have had different results if they did.

What Girls Said 4

• No everything is racist nowadays and it just needs to stop. Someone once said I was racist because I'm white.

• It's a robot-it's not racist. People made the robot.

• Haha, is it bad I found this super funny? 😂

• Robots don't actually think. The input data may have been biased though. The robot isn't judging beauty, it's matching parameters. They don't say in the article what all the parameters were...