How does anyone know what they want from life?

How do you know your doing what you want to do in life and not just doing what is expect of you? Cuz I am still in school and working a mindless job. And I am wondering if this is how life is suppose to work. I feel like I am losing my spirt and that what I am doing their isn't any point. And even though I picked a career I still wonder if I picked the right one. If I made the right descion in getting a job. I won't lie, I feel really alone. Like I feel like I am chasing a fake dream that just won't happen. I think I am stuck in the rat race and I didn't want to begin their. If you were to ask me what I want from life. My answer is I want to be around nature and breath fresh air. I want adventure and I want something that makes me smile. But I don't have that luxury to live in an air like that. I apologies for the rant.

Most Helpful Guy

• "I want to be around nature and breath fresh air. I want adventure and I want something that makes me smile."

I started college as a forestry major. That was more than 40 years ago. I ended up dropping in the first year and never got back to it (for reasons I won't go into). At the time forestry was one of the lowest paying professions there was. I didn't care though. Now forty years later, I think it was the right choice for me. I wanted to be outdoors, out in the forest. That was my thing, that was me.

I guess the point is, well I don't know what the point is. Personally it was the right thing for me. If you are drawn to the outdoors there are plenty of professions out there. Most don't pay well, so you have to set your priorities. You get paid in other ways. Fresh air, lots of trees, and a chill work place have value. For some people, living in a 700 sq ft home surrounded by thousands of acres of natures is more luxurious than the largest mansion.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of those jobs may not be what you think. Many are going to be with private industry. Like a lot of forestry jobs are with lumber companies. A lot of jobs in geology will be with mining or oil companies. But if you really want to work outdoors, there are plenty of careers out there.

Some don't require degrees either. Heck, if you really like to live in remote areas, you can find jobs in remote fire watch towers where you live for weeks at a time.

But to answer the question directly, you will never really know. Life often dictates our direction more than we dictate it. The trick is combining the two. It's about knowing yourself and what you want, combined with seeing opportunities and not hesitating too much to act on them.

There can be a lot of trial and error. It's not possible to know all the things available to us in life. We just have to make the best decision we can, and try it. Then make adjustments as we go.

Start now checking into a summer at a national park or something. It's a common thing for college students. A summer in Yellowstone or Glacier NP might answer all your questions.

Most Helpful Girl

• My little brother is in high school (year 10) and I've taken him to course selections in which they ask "what area would you like to work in the future" I think asking any kid that age or around those year levels are quite ridiculous as they don't even know what they want to do yet. So they're picking courses in which doesn't have anything to do with what they might want to do in the future.

In your situation, you need to start somewhere before you get anywhere. Obviously not having that sort of financial stability to live your dreams is not something that you can get straight away (unless your parents are millionaires/billionaires, or you won the lottery) but in saying that, the job you may have now is probably fine (for now) you may end up knowing that you'd want to do a specific job in the near future and lean towards that. You have the money to do so (that's if you save up) and it'd be possible. Another thing you can do is use the experience you have (in this current job) and find a high paying job with the experience you already have acculmated. Which by then may even give you a closer touch to your dream.

Starting somewhere is like a start to having your dreams in reality. Just pan it out, work smart, save up, work hard.

What Guys Said 14

• You do know what you want my dear. You've just stated it. You just think it's unobtainable because of societal expectation :) You have a fair bit of time ahead of you. Maybe try and make it work for you? I agree, being a mindless corporate clone = soul death, to me.

• I knew from a very early age airplanes would be a constant in my life and my career was in aviation. They were all I thought about 24/7

• You have to think about your life and work separate - I know very few who get their dream job so view work as getting the money to live the life you want.

• It's difficult to know what you would like to work at without having worked at it before - it's tricky.

If you can get an inkling of what you want in life then it may help to create a flow chart of possibilities, obstacles, and back-up plans to deal with those obstacles should they arise.

• We eat Red apples then all of a sudden it comes to us 😁

• I'm pretty shallow guy. I want 3 things. To travel the world, part with friends, and sleep with hot girls.

• Why, what, and when desires of any kind comes to the mind or heart varies with every individual. (Including animals. hehe)

• OK, listen to your spirit.
    What thing that you do makes you REALLY happy.
    When you find it, go for that.
    However, never use one avenue.
    In other words, if you like music and you can't be a singer, then be a song writer.
    There are many ways to contribute to your passion.

However, make sure you can pay the bills.

• I take my likes and run with it, you know. If I feel good about something I pursue it. I pray for guidance as well.

• Not really no

• i want happiness and peace

• You learn what you want in life by trying new things and making mistakes.

• Wish i could help, but im in the same situation

• i just wanna make amends to a girl i hurt.

What Girls Said 10

• It can be hard to find your direction in life. But from what I have experienced, there is no one right destination or direction for everyone. Sometimes the directions change. Perhaps there is a detour due to an unexpected pregnancy, a job loss, or an illness. Or sometimes you take a look at your life and you are unhappy and decide to make some changes.

What you are feeling is completely normal! Its a part of life that everyone goes through at least once. I feel like I've been going through this for the last 10 years. My idea of my 'perfect life' keeps changing, and that's okay!

The great thing about life is that you do not have to have everything figured out ever. Just as long as you are happy with how your life is. And if you are not happy, the good thing is to focus on the things you can control and the changes you can and are making to get to where you want to be.

So what if you don't have your dream job yet? You are only 21 years old. I don't know anyone who had their dream job at 21. And I don't know anyone who has their dream job. My one friend said a few years ago she got her dream job. But now she hates her job. So now she is looking for a change. Things in life change all the time.

Don't put undue pressure on yourself to have everything figured out. Life happens and things come into and out of your life so quickly.

The thing you should focus on are your specific goals. Ask yourself if you are doing anything to achieve them. What steps are you taking? Can you do more? Are there any other changes you need to make?

Having a goal in mind can help make the current job more tolerable, even if you are hating it or the environment you are working in.

The good thing about your job is that you won't have to be there forever!

• Some people just feel this desire to do something more with their lives, whatever that may be.

I think you know you want to succeed, that you want to do more with your life. You are just floundering on if you made the right choice, and many people feel the same way you do. It's not too late to make a change if you feel it is necessary.

• Not everyone has a dream or a goal in life and even if they do, not everyone gets those goals. Some people just end up working a mindless job! Some people that's all they'll ever do because who would do these mindless jobs if nobody else? Some people just want money and that's it. It's not the worst crime in the world not knowing what you want but just working.

• The key is to take in as many experiences as possible. Some find their passion from that and some find their passion IS that.

• I certainly wish I could reply to you in private. I hope this makes Facebook so you can reply to me there. I cannot relate to those replies that tell you to settle for a meaningless job. At 21 there is no reason to believe you have to settle for anything you don't like. If you do not like you are doing then you cannot see that as a job for the future in the future or as part of your future. You have to look at your current situation why you seem to feel you are obligated to it, if you had your way what would you do and what would you do to be in the fresh air to have a life that you enjoy getting up in the morning.. In private I will tell you how I handled all of that. I say this because there isn't a person in this world who doesn't question the same things you are doing right now. And I praise you because----Although you feel like you've reached the signpost at the end of the world or at the end of your life, it is better that you question what you want at age 21 than wait for your age 45 and realize you're unhappy or realize that you're lost. You may feel like you're alone and indeed you may be but you don't have to be alone forever. You may feel like you have no answers and right now you may not have the answers but at the same time you're not 69 years old knocking on heaven's door and wishing it was on this way. You are 21 about to begin an adult life so now is the time to sit back think and write down what you want out of life if you had your way. Right now you may not think you have your way and I can understand that too. But that will not always be the case. A very smart guy once told me the following, "you may be too young to understand this in its entirety but I want you to think about. When you are knocking on heavens door and dying in the intensive care of some hospital you are not going to think about anything that you regret doing. You will not regret anything that you have done. What you will regret is not having done things that you had wanted to do. Remember that and if you understand that even a little bit you will want to take a bite out of life so you can experience that bite and then another bite and another and another. In public I don't have the answers for you because I don't know enough about you nor you know enough about me. Private message me or Facebook me somehow get in touch with me. I don't know if I'm allowed to put my email address down. Put yours down if you want to talk.

thanks so much! (:

I cannot message you on this website I don't have enough seniority or something like that. If you want to message me on this website please do then I can get back to. Otherwise I see at least I think I see you have me connected using Facebook. I will rant and rave on Facebook if you want but I see you don't do that often. I mean you don't do Facebook. Get in touch with me before I rant and rave because I would hate to pour my heart out and you're not the person who's listening. Am I making sense? Probably not

Oh and if anybody tells you advice that has in it, "what goes around comes around," either tell them they are full of sh.. Or not your head while you're running away

• Heyyy :*

You have a goal. To give yourself a nice life. One where you can have a nice job and not have to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

You're doing what it takes NOW and might be struggling a bit but you know it's worth it long term.

Take a day to yourself. Relax, do WHATEVVVER you want. Go out and be social. You may not want to be, but you need to be. Once you get going with your friends, you'll feel better. :)

Come on, I'll buy you dinner and we can get pedicures.

• I know what I want exactly but my insecurities and irrational fear of failure are making things harder to achieve for me.
    I just want to get my law degree, get fit, get married, move to Tunisia, have a home and make a family, spend my life with my big family.

• They never do and just guess.

• I just want to be happy

• I know that in life i want to be the next apple queen