How is my amateur brooder :D?

The hatcher (mom chicken) died by illness at the last 4 days,(total 21 days is required) before the chicks go out from the eggs and i did not want the chickens in eggs to die and to pay about 150-200 usd for the brand new brooder. So i made this box by using a digital thermostat and 25Watt of Lamp as heater to heat the inside of box. I tried cardboard box firstly but i need to use high power lamp to heat to 37.5 degrees centigrade because it has no good heat keeping insulation. So i tried styrofoam box to keep the heat inside long time with lower energy at 37.5 C by controlling with a digital thermostat.

How is my amateur brooder :D?

First chick :D :

This is the video of first chick: http://keyword.pw/civciv_vid_20160908_205718.mp4

This all was from yesterday :D

Now i got total 2 chicks and one other is trying to go out : :)

The only problem is they dont know how to drink water and feed. :(

i try to teach them anyway.

Updates:
2mo new vid: http://keyword.pw/civciv_vid3_20160911_085905.mp4
They look happy when eating :)

1|2
17|15

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to make these. This looks pretty much like what I remember. Just a styrofoam box, with light bulb, and temp control. I think you also want humidity control. I'd keep it clean so they don't get diseased.

I assume there is a lot of information on how to care for the chicks also. There is someone here at GaG who raised baby ducks, I'll link her to this if I see her on (she's or on much).

The chicks look healthy though. Good luck with them. Be prepared to lose some also.

0|1
    0|0
    • 2mo

Yes i also need humidity control :/
      Yeah ur right, Its sad to hear to be prepared to lose some of them. :(

• Show All
    • 2mo

The purpose of humidity is to convert the shell to become brittle as you assume. Otherwise chickens will slog to go out.

What Girls Said 16

What Guys Said 14