Is severe self-deprecating humor really a sign of weakness?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• A little bit of self-deprecation can be so great. Personally, I love being able to laugh at myself.

Bu there's a fine line between healthy self-deprecating humor and "holy shit, does this guy put himself down ALL the time?"

What Girls Said 2

• It's the opposite, if someone can make fun of themselves, honestly, it's a sign of strength.

It depends on the person! If he/she is super-confident, hot, and popular, people love when they laugh at stupid things that they supposedly did, saying them to get attention.
      For people that aren't popular, and not confident, it is just sad, so don't further degrade yourself!!

And they are the BEST ones!! The others, well, whatever!! Uptight prudes, maybe!! :)

@SomeGuy37 Yeah! Just keep being you, man! :D

• It's a sign of strength and confidence.

What Guys Said 8

• I believe the opposite if a person can make jokes about themselves it means there self confidence is amazingly high and that they can not only accept their faults but make light of them because they know their faults do not take away from themselves as a person but builds on their individuality.

• Typically that type of humor is NOT delivered by someone of low self-esteem nor is it delivered by someone with self-gracing qualities.
    That type of humor is delivered by someone who is humble and typically quite intelligent, even brilliant.
    As long as that type of humor is offered sparingly, it can have very profound meaning to the existing conversation.

Just my opinion

• The only thing is make sure people know it is humour

• I like to think of it as taking the wind out of people who try to hurt you with words. In other words "Beat them to the punch line" and they can't touch you.

• No it's completely the other way, unless it's the only sort of jokes you ever tell.

Like if you watch a Louis C. K stand-up or Billy Connolly stand-up, they use that humour all the time, but they have jokes about many other things too. It's good to be able to laugh about yourself. People get more comfortable with you. Shows you are open minded and know what is funny about you and we'll I don't know what else right now lol

• No its that persons sense of humor, some of the best comedians use that style of humor

• I make fun of myself all the time but I still feel okay.

• no its not