How many of you can drive a stick shift?

Whenever men figure out that I drive a manual, they either seem really impressed or really blown away by the thought. Is it really that uncommon for women to be able to drive a stick shift? Men and women alike, how many of you know how? Im curious now.

• I'm able to drive a manual
  • I never learned to drive a manual
  • I attempted to learn to drive a manual but still cannot

Most Helpful Guy

• There are more manuals here in the UK than automatics. 9/10 people learn to drive in a manual car. It really isn't that hard

Man I looked at a new Camaro for the hell of it, they don't even offer manual on it. It's fucked lol.

@redeyemindtricks Apparently sports cars are auto now, can't be bothered with those pesky gears!
      Yeah I was pretty shocked, someone actually has a 2013-2014 and said the dealer had to specially order a stick.

@posted well ahha fuck. lol. smh.

Most Helpful Girl

• If a man didn't know how to drive a manual, he wouldn't even get so much as the time of day from me. Serious.

He doesn't have to have a manual as his daily driver... but, when he sits in one, he's gotta be able to grip it and rip it, without lurching or grinding gears. With me, this is non-negotiable.
    <3

See... I had a single father, and I spent practically every free moment of my childhood on the floor of his auto shop. I started welding together ratrod bodies when I was 12, and my daddy "treated" my depressive insomnia by taking me out in a 'rod to illegal beater tracks in the desert, starting when I was 13 or 14.

I don't need a man who's as much of a car freak as I am, but... yeahhh lol.

For what it's worth, this is absolutely THE ONLY way in which I am even the least bit "old-fashioned". (I'm taller than my husband, make several times his income, and don't give a rat's ass about either of those things.)
    I guess everyone's gotta have somethin'... Take it or leave it. LOL.

__

Fun fact: Stick-shift cars are almost never stolen. (The little shits probably can't even get 'em out of neutral!)

What Guys Said 39

• Most girls can't drive them, so it's cool when a girl can. Most guys I've worked with can drive stick, lots of them have worked or grew up on farms with tractors which are generally standard. Multiple gears/ranges for certain speeds for certain attachments blahblah

• I actually learned to drive on a manual transmission - my first car was an old beat up '91 Chevy cavalier with a stick and a light that flashed to tell you when to shift.

• Strange question for a Dutch guy.
    Automatics are very rare here.

• I can drive it but I hate it. I'm all about "easy", and that's just more thinking and moving than I want to be doing, haha.

• I never learned to drive a manual. I never learned to drive at all. I have a learner's licence, though.

• i dont know how to drive, but whenever im gonna learn driving im gonna learn it in manual

• It's getting harder to find cars that are manual here in the US. Every year we have less of them. They tried giving us those BS semi-manuals but they're not the same.

Automatics just aren't practical in most parts of the world. You really don't rebuild most modern day Auto transmissions. You're better of buying a new car or a new trans from the dealer.

• Lol ofcourse I can drive a stick shift... I have been expert at it since I was like 16 :-D

• Most cars in this part of the world are manual in Ireland - Automatics never really took off

Interesting. The same is true in India. I wonder why that is.

@Bluemax I am not totally sure at the start why but anytime they tried to make inroads into the market in the past, the car buyer would be advised there is not a lot of automatic trained mechanics around in Ireland so getting it fixed/serviced and getting parts might be a problem - Recently though there are more automatics on the road but still single digit percentage - I don't drive but I have heard people say a manual is more responsive for stuff like overtaking.

• Well I live in the uk so pretty much everyone drives a manual, not that impressive

• I can. Whats so difficult about it?

• where i live, driving automatic has the stigma of being an unskillfull driver xD basically everybody drives stick.

• I always drove a manual until my wife wanted a car with an auto.

• It's fun but modern automatics are pretty good. Best is a double-clutch paddle-shifted manual in modern sports cars. You have a solid mechanical connection from engine to drive shaft but can shift in about a tenth of a second.

• I've driven a manual once and the only tricky part was getting moving from first gear. I couldn't even see the tachometer in the jeep I was in.

But I'm glad I own an automatic because I have to deal with hours of stop and go traffic. If I had a standard my left leg would get tired.

• I don't feel comfortable driving automatic cars

• In the United States it is quite unusual to see a woman driving a manual shift car. In Europe for instance, manual shift cars are the majority and many female drivers. It is what it is!

Just my opinion

• My first car was a standard, and I told my parents when I turned 16 I wanted to learn on a standard so that driving an automatic would be easy.

• Not so much for me

if a girl can't drive a manual here she is different lol

A girl who works on cars and enjoys getting greasy is pretty fucking sexy though

• I've never cared to learn.

• I can drive a stick.

• Yes I can!!!

• I sure I can ever drive a big truck with a 18 speed

• i drive a stick shift, it's way more fun and once you learn you can get great gas mileage out of your cars

• They are the norm in my country.

• Automatic is shit

• I need to learn. I got the "fun bar" (hand brake) down.

• I can, I learned how to drive in a stick shift and actually prefer them.

• most of the world drives manual cars, whats the big deal

• I can't drive at all.

• More from Guys
    9

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 22

• In my country you can't even get a drivers license without being able to drive a manual so everyone is capable of that lmao

• Why shouldn't a woman be able to drive a manual vehicle?

To guys it's that same old story... women drivers!
    Men stereotyping as being worse drivers.

I rock up in my Ford Fiesta, a sporty number that's beien in the shop. Had the windows tinted, new wheels, lights etc. and they automatically think it belongs to my guy!

It's stereotyped sexism.

• I don't drive yet, but I will be learning how to drive a stick shift. My mother's old car that she got paid off is a manual, and that's my only option. I have to drive that or simply not drive at all. She has her truck automatic truck, my sister now has an automatic car... Everyone in my family learns a stick shift to start. If you can drive a stick, you can drive an automatic. The auto cars are easier and require less, but you never know when you might need to drive a stick.

For example, my mother had her license temporarily suspended for a DUI. She asked our babysitter to drive her to work. She said she can drive a stick shift and that's it's no problem. ... We didn't even make it out of our parking space. She turned on the car, put her foot on the clutch, then went to adjust her seat. (Insert face palm.) We charged forward into a pole, and a beam from above fell onto the car. The same car I'm learning how to drive... :p
    It's important to learn both.

• Yes, I have found that guys are very impressed by the fact I know how to drive stick. They are also impressed that I also know how to mechanically diagnose and take care of certain problems in the car and use mechanical terms to describe problems/features. I was taught all this and it has been invaluable in saving me money and not being duped into spending more or any money on made up repairs or parts I 'need'.

• I drive a manual. Have since I was 17. But everyone drives a manual here.

It's more unusual in America.

• lol you must be American if you think driving a car with a manual gearbox is an accomplishment.
    They could be heaping false praise upon you in the hope of sleeping with you I had this problem with some "nice" guys and some guys in my circle that I had to friendzone.

• Ehm everyone?
    Don't you have to in order to get your licence? I mean I know automatic cars exist, but I've never seen one in the wild

• Some guys see it to be "hot and sexy" when a female drives a manual

I know how to drive and ride in manual. Motorbike/car

• My first car at fifteen was a stick shift. I can drive one better than my husband.

• Manual is common over here in Europe

• My last 3 daily drivers were stick. ;)

You're 24 and you've already gone through *that* many "daily drivers"? For gosh sakes why?

My ex was a car guy so he always knew someone who had one and we would buy it. Sometimes I would have it for a year and get bored and want something faster.

My current car is a 4 cylinder though so unless I'm willing to ask someone to chip it or put a booster on it.

• I wish I learned to drive stick. Have always wanted to but the only one that knows how is my uncle and he's always working and barely ever has time. But it's rare for girls to drive stick, I know of maybe one girl in my group of friends that can.

• First car I ever learned to drive was a 5 speed manual!

• I can, that was one of the requirements my mother gave me if she was going to give me permission to join the armed forces. She told me "you learn to drive all kinds of transmissions or I don't sign the authorisation to join the navy."

• I don't drive at all.

• Yes, right here.

• unfortunately i haven't had a chance to learn

• I can drive manual, and any kind of transmission.

• I CAN'T EVEN DRIVE D':

• Someone needs to teach me properly

• I can drive it if you want your clutch ruined.

• Americans...