Why are there people in this day and age who believe Depression is made up?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because people without mental illness are naturally able to control their feelings, but others aren't. They don't get us in the same way we don't get them. Have you seen this? It's a comic strip showing what would happen if we treated physical illness like mental illness.

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...cal-i_n_6145156.html

Most Helpful Guy

• It is really hard to put yourself into someone else's shoes, especially with something as intangible as a mental problem. There's nothing to see except their behaviour - no broken bones, bleeding wounds, discoloured skin.

Plus, if it's in your head, that means you should just be able to switch it off, right? Or are you saying you're CRAZY and not in control of your own brain?

I've showed this to people to try and get them to understand:

www.akimbocomics.com/.../...t_Shit_And_Die_164.jpg

What Girls Said 12

• Because they don't know what they can't see. People are pretty dumb bro unless they can't see it they won't believe it. It's actually kinda pathetic.

• I think there's just this certain body of people who gets a thrill out of living in denial of actual facts. Seriously.. Did you know that there's even people who refuse to accept that the earth is a globe?

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Modern_flat_Earth_societies

Yeah, i knew that.

Well if you don't believe in mental illness that's because you don't have a brain to comprehend it in the first place. let alone get depressed

@yucel_eden lmao exactly

• Lack of education. Most of the people I've come into contact with that say this tend to be very devout Christians. They've placed everything in God's hands so they don't have to be responsible for any part of their lives. They have little use for the sciences, therefore they cannot accept that there isn't a prayer or positive thought that can cheer us up.

there are a few atheists on this site who have said its made up as well

Didn't know that, I've not come across many atheists in my travels.

• I don't think it's made up by any means. I think it is very real, but I do think it is overly diagnosed or misdiagnosed many times and missed completely in others.

• They're the same people who think ADHD is just some asshole's excuse to not do their work or fidgit, or that people with anxiety need to "just stop worrying"

Basically, they're fucking idiots that believe that just because they're neurotypical that everyone is neurotypical. Kinda like the people that say being gay is a choice

• Cause they're ignorant and don't know any better 🙃

• I have honestly never heard someone say that depression isn't real. Did someone say that to you?

• Because that's the easy solution. For people to tell you that it doesn't exist and to suck it up and get over it.

• some people confuse having depression with being depressed

• I have no idea.

• People are still this dumb? Wow...

• Because they stupid.

What Guys Said 12

• They obviously don't have depression and don't know what it's like to have depression. It's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes. Those people are just downright ignorant because they act like they know someone else's struggle when they don't... They probably think that depression is just an excuse for feeling down.

People in this day and age tend to believe that the mind can easily be controlled like if you're depressed you can somehow (eye roll) stop having depression all together. Some people out there just think you're crazy if you don't have full control over your mind. Well that has been proven wrong because depression has an uncontrollable, biological basis to it which is why meds are given to patients with depression. So depression is obviously not a choice and it's not something that can easily be "snapped" out of. Anyone who doesn't know that is a pathetic, worthless human being and I say this because I have depression. Those people are so annoying.

• Few things rile me up more than this - I just want to say spend a couple of days in the horrors then come back and tell me it is not real - I have told this story maybe times on GaG but I was diagnosed with "Mild" bipolar and I was so annoyed, I have it full whack just like it says on the internet. Then sometime later I was part of an outpatients group and I met people with "Real" bipolar, I felt about two inches high for complaining about having "Mild" bipolar. Sadly these people who deny its existence won't know about it unless it happens to them and it can happen to anyone.

• Because they don't understand it... With that said, there's some truth to it. If you constantly are depressed, there are things that you can do to contribute to happiness... Like not complaining about how depressed you are. Also, doing things that make you happy or at least doesn't yourself enough to not feel depressed. The 1 thing that pisses me off is when people who have depression constantly moan about it. I don't care. Do something about it. I have depression too. It sucks, but I'm not sulking and having to tell people about it. It's not everyone else's problem they need it probably want to hear, it's not going to make me happier and probably contributing to me being depressed and there are things I can do to not be depressed and knowing I'm not in the worst possible situation in the world

Yeah depression sucks and it's obviously not a choice because every time I do something about it, I'm happy for a couple hours and then I slowly go back to being depressed. The neurotransmitters just work that way. I don't complain because complaining makes it worse. I wouldn't want the people who don't care to make statements about my depression. It's life, we have to work with what we have.

• Same reason people believe in this guy

s2.quickmeme.com/.../...e009ffe52a011339978af8.jpg

Thanks for the downvote mate!

Sweet irony.

How can you not bring up religion in a question about people who can't see past their own beliefs? Just making a comparison but if you wanna get triggered then go ahead.

The last person I met on here who believed depression was made up was an atheist

• Cause now-a-days everybody wants attention and when someone says that they've got depression then people are like "Nah he/she is just saying that for attraction". Cause everybody pities a sorry person. People just don't know how fucked up is depression ;)

• they haven't been there, so don't understand.

• They probably haven't experienced it and are close minded.

• It's not that depression is made up, it's that a lot of people are either misdiagnosed or not actually depressed to begin with.

• they are stupid or just ignorant. Or both

• i dontk know man, its just an excuse they make to feel better about themselves.

• Personally i can't control it except with Asentra and Oramin F pills
    i dunno how to explain it but it's hard to be happy for us who are dealing with depression and stress.

• Coz they have no brain to have depression or even comprehend in the first place