Would you consider adopting a child if your partner wanted to do it?

In the world we live in nowadays I think it's an important thing to have in mind: adoption. As someone who is very maternal, one of the things I look forward in the future are children. And one of the things I keep thinking is that I would like to adopt. Because children need a home, they need love and nurturing. They don't deserve to feel abandoned like that. Plus, overpopulation is a big thing. What are your thoughts on it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I love children and I definitely want to have some of my own but I'm against abortion (not in general, but for my own life).

Over-population is actually not really "a thing". The problem is that humans destroy the planet and that we don't share our resources fairly. For example western developed countries waste huge amounts of perfectly good and nutritious food while people in poor countries starve to death. The UN calculated a few years ago that if we shared our resources fairly and if rich countries didn't do fucked-up things such as speculating on global staple food prices, planet earth could easily support 12 billion people without anyone starving. So the problem is not that there's too many of us, the problem is that we're a bunch of egoistic assholes (just as a side remark).

Most Helpful Girl

• I would love to adopt kids! I have always wanted to do that.

Do you think you'd actually go through with it?

I understand. You are very right on everything you said. I honestly hope that you accomplish it one day :)

Thank you! = )

What Guys Said 16

• Well I would like to point out that overpopulation is not an issue in fact many countries have negative birth rates which means they have to few children born to replace the current population (in fact some countries have actually started to pay people to have children). That stated I being adopted myself have no issue with it, however its important to note that biology plays a very large part in who we are so if you are not the most open minded individual then adoption may not be for you because the child will be different from you and their is little you can do to change that. Doing so can cause sever damage to the child psychologically speaking so its just important to keep that in mind before you adopt a child. But again I personally would have no issue with it (personally I love kids and am pretty open minded).

Of course, an adopted child will always have certain issues and depending on the age and what they have been through already. I think for me, I would want the child, if old enough, to give full consent to being with me and having me as a mother.

Yeah, I understand. There are things about us that just come with us. And even if our education is similar we will still become different people. We clearly already come with things in us that are what make us, us. That essence that is only gone when we die. So yeah, I get you.

Yeah a lot of people think that its not a big deal and as happened in my situation it lead to issues, but yeah if your aware and willing to accept that then definitely adopt.

• Yep. it's a possibility. That's a thing that, more or less i think about.
    We should also demand that our society can do better for them.
    Our institutions are very depressing.

Exactly. When I think about children in the system, having to endure the life of going from home to home. Never settling. Feeling like they aren't wanted. Or in institutions where they are not given the care, affection, love they need. It is, as you say, very depressing.

And the wars because money and stuff... it's so sad...

That happens in "normal" families anyway, it's indeed very sad..

• I don't think I would like the idea. I already hate kids by standard. So having to take care of someone which is not related to me would be even more difficult.
    Plus, from the little you know of me, you'll know that the nature of the process to actually adopt would totally drain all the energies left in me, with all the interviews, and questions, and the cheer length of the process.

Yeah, I know. It's just not something for everybody. Like actually having children is not for everybody. It's just how it is.

• Only if I have no other options because I really want to experience the feeling of holding something my own penis produced thats not in a liquid form.

#JustDadThings

• I'm open minded on a lot of things, I would very much consider it

• overpopulation is not an argument, there is room for 3 billion more people. what is an argument is lousy management of natural resources.

adoption is an industry like any other, they will make you pay a lot of money. they will keep as much children in foster homes because foster homes get money for each child thats there (in my country at least)

i am not interested in importing exotic people into a different habitat. i want my own children and i will get them.

I would adopt a child from my country. I don't see the point on doing otherwise.

• I am most likely infertile. and short of winning the lottery, getting fertility treatment is out if the question, so yes, I would definitely consider adoption.

I am sorry to hear that. But there are so many amazing kids in need of a home, it is not a bad decision to adopt at all!

• i would definitely "consider" it, as i would consider every wish my partner has. actually doing it though is a different story.

besides over population is not a thing in germany, where i live. we actually have a shrinking population with 1.4 kids per family on average.

Exactly, so I'm really considering it.

well then go for it ^^

• So long as I have more than 1 non homosexual, biological offspring, then I wouldn't mind adopting as many children as I can afford without impacting my lifestyle.

• Well I only date guys so if I were to marry a guy one day, then I would rather have a surrogate mother than adopt. Because I want the kid to actually be related to one of us

• not against it

• I don't think I could. What if the child hates you? How do even set rules and correct the child when he/she could always say "You're not my real parent, you can't tell me what to do"... maybe I'm paranoid lol

No, no, I get what you're saying. I suppose it really is hard but it's a commitment. If one were to do it one would have commit to it completely.

• I would like to adopt one child, but i would also want a kid of my own.
    I want my genes to stay for more generations xD. And i also would like to see a mix between me and the women i love.

• yes if my partner wanted to then so would i

• I've heard many young people express this.

In fact it's not that easy to adopt kids and there is a big wait list to adopt babies in western countries.

There are huge issues with international adoptions.

What the west does have is many children in foster care. But those kids are NOT available for adoption. The intent is that foster care is temporary and they will return to their own families.

I think there is a big issue in people only wanting to adopt babies. Older kids need a home too.

Yeah. The thing with Portugal is that the population is mostly old so we need more children.

Yeah, that's true of most of Europe, and also Japan... the usa is pretty much the only western country that has enough kids, countries like Canada and Australia get by due to immigration levels.

• no freaking way

What Girls Said 14

• Of course I would. I want to adopt someone when I grow up. It's important to adopt because children are in need and they need a good home.

Thank you so much for your opinion, I'm 100% with you :)

So glad that you agree with me. I hate when people say that "it's not my blood" or some other bs about why they won't adopt.

Blood is nothing when compared to love. Besides, what does blood have to do with who you really are? When I see children I feel a great need, a great call to protect and nurture. And that has zero to do with blood. A child doesn't need to have your own blood to be loved by you. It just needs care and affection. So that is a really bad excuse for not doing it, as you said, total bs.

• I want to have 4 biological children, it's a lot, so I'm not sure if I can add another child to that. But if I'm rich enough and my 4 kids grow older I might consider it.

• This would something I would discuss with him right from the start.
    I don't think I would want to adopt with a few exceptions like God forbid, it's one of his (or mine) relatives' child and the parents are no more. etc
    or we see a baby and we get a gut feeling to adopt him or her, etc

• I have no problem adopting children, either as well as having biological children or instead of.

I think having biological children is so great but I can't help but be a little afraid of childbirth! It just sounds so painful, you know?

haha, better leave that part for someone else xD

• Of course. Why wouldn't we? I think its a win-win thing. The child can have a home and a new family who loves him/her and we can have one more kid without having to go through hospitals and pain lol 😂

• Yes I would, I'm already thinking about it so when the time comes, I would definitely consider it and discuss it with him

• I would love to adopt, I don't see the point in bringing in more children into this world when there are already so many kids in need.

• Yes, I would. 😊

• HELL YES. I am not carrying a human around inside of me for 9 months, pushing a human out of my vagina, and then bleeding for a solid month.

• Overpopulation isn't the reason for me. I'm definitely open to idea though

• Sure

• Im super pro adopting and not reproducing.

• I really would rather have my own children

• yeah sure... if my partner and i want to adopt a child then no problem at all.