Do you support gay marriage?

do you support gay marriage? I don't support gay marriage feel free to give your thoughts or opinions on as to if you don't or do support gay marriage

• no
  • yes
2mo while I support all your opinions I don't appreciate there being negativity or drama of any kind so if your gonna give a negative comment please be respectful when u give a negative comment and don't name call or bring negativity of and kind please and thank u. ps everyone is entitled to their opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell no :/
    Marriage = Man + woman.. thats it

agreed

@Gommers You were too LOW IQ to even understand the link i posted, imbecile. LOL you will never win so just give up now buddy boy

Laws supporting same-sex-marriage will bring terrible Judgment from God on this nation

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.

What Guys Said 108

• i3.kym-cdn.com/.../584.jpg

I don't understand why anyone would not support love. You must be a very bitter person.

everybody is untitled to there opinion this question is I asked not ment for negativity or name calling no name calling please

There's a famous German writer called Wilhelm Busch who once said: "Tolerance is good - but not towards the intolerant". So no, not all opinions are equal (and yes, be offended by this if you want to be). I don't accept intolerance and I will call people out on it. If you feel like other people don't deserve the same rights that you have simply because they're a little different from you, you must be a very bitter person.
      Or wait, maybe I shouldn't even be talking to you because you're a woman and you shouldn't be allowed to vote or get an education, let alone talk about politics. And that's also juuuust an opinion, right? Cuz Americans are so politically correct these days, they even feel the need to accept the opinions of fascists and religious nutcases.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes... and everyone is also entitled to call people out for being assholes when they hold asshole opinions... that's sort of how this whole freedom of speech thing works.

• I support gay marriage, religion shouldn't play a factor in marriage.

• Of course I do. Everyone deserves equal rights under the law. The arguments used now to not support gay marriage are the same ones used 50 years ago to not support interracial marriage.

Can you explain why you don't?

• Every 2 consenting adults should be allowed to marry.

• yes. it's legal in my country and our prime minister is actually gay and married

• Yes i do.
    I support it because i don't believe in religious principles but rather a fundamental understanding that sex is more about emotion between a couple rather than simple rearing of a child.

• I do. For three reasons:

1) Marriage of some form or another exists in most cultures world wide. it is not a strictly Judaeo-Christian thing, so the idea that marriage should be biblically based is silly.

2) Contrary to the argument that you can not redefine what marriage is, the fact is that, like almost any idea, construct, or institution, you CAN, indeed, change aspects of it, and more strikingly, it has changed throughout the ages. From polygamy to child marriages and arraigned marriage, to the idea of common law marriage, and beyond, what was considered permissible has changed over time. Polygamy is the best example though. Under the modern definition, that is not a marriage. But it was a recognized, valid form of marriage, for a long time. What happened? The definition changed.

3) There is no argument for it that is not based in religion. Ben Shapiro, who I like a lot, has said that it is entirely legitimate to support a law or a rule that backs your own religious views, but that you need secular reasons for why it is a good law. Saying you can not murder because of the 10 commandments doesn't work. You have to say, in a secular, diverse nation, of many faiths and no faiths, why people who believe different from you should accept that edict. Murder is universally wrong, we get that. What is the secular argument against gay marriage?
    The one many try to make (including the aforementioned Shapiro, whom I disagree with), is that marriage exists as the basis for starting a family, and a same sex couple can not start a family. Frankly, this argument is bad because it suggests that anyone who does not plan to, or can not have, kids, should not be allowed to marry. It also ignores gay couples adopting.

This point might be my biggest reason for supporting gay marriage, despite being Christian, and more to the right, politically, than left: I believe in religious freedom, and because of that any law needs to be supported by secular reasoning, and I can think of no non-religious reason why two people can no make the choice to want to symbolize their love and commitment to each other with a ceremony, a contract, and legal recognition, that sufficiently argues the cultural and societal benefits to marriage being strictly heterosexual purview.

I do, however, ADAMANTLY oppose any attempt to require any religious institute to allow gay weddings on their premises, or to require anyone to officiate.

• To all the people who don't support why? How does it effect you? Are you just that insecure that it will somehow ruin your life? Get real. Gay marriage is completely fine and it is there life so let them do what they want.

• I support it - They are just two people in love, same rights as any other couple.

• I got no problem with gay fellas but I don't really support or oppose if they wanna do it I got no problem if they don't I still got no problem

• Yes i do, it's legal here too which is great, i feel it's right to allow people to just love who they love, i'm curious about your opinion though, lot's of people, when asked why the don't support gay marriage, can barely come up with an answer, so out of curiosity, why don't you support it?

• I don't support special privileges for gays, who are already privileged, on the whole. What about polygamists? Polyandrists? Why don't they have a sacred right to marriage?

I'm not against arrangements like civil unions for gays, but calling it marriage just isn't historically accurate. And it's unfair to extend it only to gays.

Polygamy and polyandry is a lifestyle. Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. Tiny loophole in your argument there.

@Holygirl01 Chuckle, racist elitists putting other people down: the gay scene

Honestly, you are out of the topic now, just blabbing nonsense. You can't stand people just because of their sexual orientation. There is a reason why the west will always be more advanced than the east, you are the root of the devil.

• Yes, i do support it. Marriage is a very outdated contract/union that i don't think should be restricted to gender.

• No, because I believe god exists because reasons. After existing literally forever my god (no one elses, because they're ridiculous) decided to create stuff. He (gods a guy) created the universe then did nothing for 10 billion years. Then he created dinosaurs. Then he killed dinaurs. Then he created man and women, Adam and Eve (cuz there were two original humans and MY REASON FOR NOT APPROVING OF LGBTQ RIGHTS). He then decided he didn't like anything he created except for one man and his family and two of every animal on earth so he allowed them to build a boat to fit the animals and his family for 40 days and 40 nights while he killed literally everything on earth with floods. Then he meddled wildly in the affairs of humans for about 1500 years including giving one tribal society rules to live by and helping them defeat their enemies. He later comes back in human form to preach for 33 years then dies a bloody death meant to atone for the flaws inherent in all of us (which he created). Then because mysterious ways he ceased all manifestation for 2000 years leaving nothing but an arbitrarily cobbled together collection of metaphorical and contradictory revelations to serve as our guide to eternal bliss... Because all these things obviously for sure definitely maybe happened, I can't allow people of the same sex to marry.

P. S. This shit is ridiculous and ofcourse I support gay marriage.

P. S. S. If you comment telling me this isn't how the bible goes, you aren't helping yourself.

woah chill I was just asking a question not talking about the Bible and why I don't support gay marriage

Yes, I understand that. But religion is the only reason anybody has any problems with LGBTQ rights. Also, I'm chill. You chill?

yes I am it's just you wrote a very long opinion and it made think u wrote angry rant or something

• I totally support it. It's two people in love, it doesn't hurt or affect anyone else.

• Yeah sure because IDGAF about marriage in the first place and I especially don't want the church to tell me what I can and can't do because I'm not religious so it should not be my concern

• Opposed. Homosexuality should be discouraged as much as possible. We already know homosexuality is an extremely unhealthy lifestyle.
    According to the CDC, men who have sex with men are 2% of the population in the USA... and have 17 times higher rate of anal cancer, and account for 75% of primary and secondary syphilis cases. They also have 57% of HIV infections.

http://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm
    www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

• if i walk into a room with all gays and all lesbians and both don't want nothing to do with the opposite sex then how's a heterosexual guy to get a date like GOD INTENDED IT TO BE!!!

• I do not support gay marriage. I think being homosexual, is an affliction.
    Gays should be treated with respect and have all the rights of anyone else, but marriage is a bond between a man and a woman.
    The purpose of marriage was to create the best environment for raising a child and creating stronger families

I dont think its healthy for society if families aren't growing or strong

• Generally I am for live and let live. In private I don't care how many dicks up their ass some gays take and how much vag on vag grinding lesbos do.

Keep it in private though and don't corrupt the institution of marriage with it. So I am for gay civil partnership, but against gay marriage.

• Yes I do even though I don't believe in marriage cause if you want to go look back at the roots of where marriage started. It was created by the 3 religions Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Then other religions later started adopting to it like Hinduism, etc. Originally marriage was something that was founded based off of a mutual contract agreement with some vows between a man and a woman. Now its nothing more than a status symbol and a way to get tax benefits and social benefits from it. Back then they most countries didn't even have taxes.

• The only people who oppose it are the religious. There is no sensible reason to be against gay people getting married and being just as miserable as the straight married couples.

• Of course I support same-sex marriage for the same reasons that US Supreme Court Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy stated in writing the Court's Opinion in the 2015 case Obergefell v. Hodges.

www.supremecourt.gov/.../14-556_3204.pdf

=====
    SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
    Nos. 14–556, 14-562, 14-571 and 14–574
    JAMES OBERGEFELL, ET AL., PETITIONERS
    14–556 v.
    RICHARD HODGES, DIRECTOR, OHIO
    DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, ET AL.;
    VALERIA TANCO, ET AL., PETITIONERS
    14–562 v.
    BILL HASLAM, GOVERNOR OF
    TENNESSEE, ET AL.;
    April DEBOER, ET AL., PETITIONERS
    14–571 v.
    RICK SNYDER, GOVERNOR OF MICHIGAN,
    ET AL.; AND
    GREGORY BOURKE, ET AL., PETITIONERS
    14–574 v.
    STEVE BESHEAR, GOVERNOR OF
    KENTUCKY
    ON WRITS OF CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF
    APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT
    [June 26, 2015]
    JUSTICE KENNEDY delivered the opinion of the Court.

The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity. The petitioners in these cases seek to find that liberty by marrying someone of the same sex and having their marriages deemed lawful on the same terms and conditions as marriages between persons of the opposite sex.

...

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

• I support happiness.
    Two people want to officially be recognized like a couple, the present word to describe that it's "marriage",

let it happen.

• Do you support gay marriage?

I am really on the fence with this one because I feel so strongly about love. I am neither gay no bi, so I have no personal investment for my opinion.

It is much easier for me to dismiss this subject entirely, but I do have an opinion.
    Does gay marriage have any influence on me as a person? No
    Does gay marriage have any influence on children growing up? Yes it does.
    Would the influence of gay marriage on a child be positive or negative? Dunno

And this is where I am stuck!
    Just my opinion

• yes i do... why don't you?

because I think marriage is suppose to be between a man and woman but I have other resigns as to why I don't support gay marriage but this is one resign why I don't support gay marriage

Oh and for the people who will read this, she is messaging me to say "you need to stop telling me i spell things wrong because it isn't my fault and i find it rude"... yes it is your fault you don't have dyslexia so here is something for you
      http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/axZD7mD_700b.jpg

@frenchyromain go a way

• No. Marriage was originally defined as the union between a man and a woman. There is no good reason why they can't call it a civil union with all the same rights and priviledges of a marriage.

• I support because there is no logical reason to oppose; it poses no threat and of course, it is only natural among many mammals, including humans.

I don't see you substantiating your opinion and as to why you hold on to it as it seems you're going against nature.

• yes i do. two humans should be able to enter into an officially recognized union. anything otherwise is discrimination

Marriage has its roots in religion, which is why the governing body of all religions oppose and reject gay marriages. There is no religion that accepts gays and lesbians. That's not legally considered discrimination, since it falls within the protected rights and views of the religion itself. There is no place in any religiously recognized marriage for gays and lesbians.

If they want "official recognition" of their union, are you referring to government recognition? In that case, I'm fine with that. But that's not a marriage, that's a gay/lesbian union. If they want the financial/tax benefits that married and common-law couples enjoy, then I say let them. Technically, a marriage is no different than a union. But to call it a marriage under whatever religion you want to refer to, that seems to be the issue causing tension.

@meowcow you are right that government sanction unions aren't truly considered marriages since marriage is more of a religious rite. i don't think any private church should be forced to marry homosexual couples but i greatly respect churches and religious officials that do provide and conduct marriage ceremonies

• First let's define what's marriage (I've written the only MyTake I have in this topic). We confuse the term marriage with being religious & divinity.

Who are we to oppose what nature made. Thanks to the opposition it's become an identifiable movement today, something that would have been a quiet & natural thing happening otherwise. Queer/Gay exists even in the animal kingdom. We don't see betel animals clobbering the gay ones.

Let us mind our own business & let people mind theirs is what I say

• More from Guys
    78

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 72

• I have a close family member who has been married to her wife for 12 years, and considering that has had no negative impact on anybody else and they have brought each other and the people around them nothing but happiness I'd say yeah, I support it. I don't get people who think they have the right to say who can or can't get married, it's just a legal process when you remove the religion from it so I don't see how anybody else's legal dealings is the business of random folks who don't like gay people.

• No because the definition of marriage was always, for several centuries and since it's creation , a union between a man and woman.

I really don't care about homosexuality/homosexuals and they're free to sleep with whoever they want, but opening marriage to homosexual couples would mean changing the whole definition of "Marriage" as it was done in the French law after 2013, and I don't want to change the definition of marriage in my country because it wouldn't be the same, specially that our weddings are civil+ Religious, and well, most religions don't recognize homosexual marriages.

So in short I'm against it in my country, but if other countries want to do it, I don't care at all because it doesn't involve me , it's my right and people are free to chose what they want for their country.

it's not my right*

@blondfrog for example
      Hindu religion is one of the oldest. Meaning they already created the idea of marriage long before those 3...

@TripleAce Just that's how I remember learning it from world history in middle school. I mean to get the most concrete type of evidence you have to look at what came first in history. Islam and those other religions have been around way before the Roman empires and what not. You might be right about Hiduism though but I don't remember them practicing marriage laws before those other religions.

• if you don't support equality, you're an Asshole, period.

True dat sista!!!

@alfonsosloan45 You're a sociopath

@alfonsosloan45
      You know who also did that,
      HITLER,

• I do.

• Yes, I do.

• Yes, because Im not an intolerant asshole.

hey no name calling please

She didn't call anyone names...

Everyone is intolerant to some degree. Just like how yesterday you were intolerant of me not being okay with someone removing 6 of their rib cages.

• Of course. Any two people who love each other should have every right for happiness together as a man and woman have been able to.

• Sorry bud but that debate is over and it really doesn't matter if you support it or not...

Which is good because the opinions of other people are irrelevant. The only people who should give a shit are the ones who it actually affects.

• Yes, I do, seeing as I may eventually get married to a girl.

• You're all so homophobic and fuckig ignorant I feel sick.

I support same-sex marriage, the rights of same-sex couples to adopt children, and military positions being available for gays. That said, why would you call someone a homophobe for not agreeing with same-sex marriage? It's much like calling a gay man a homophobic slur because because one disagrees with his orientation: feel free to disagree all you want, but don't resort to the very same 'finger-pointing' tactic that the homophobes use.

Welcome to GaG :) enjoy your stay!

Me or her?

• I understand where people are coming from about not supporting it... but really, it's just two people in love and it's not hurting everyone. Even if you don't agree with it, I think it's still important to show tolerance.
    And yes I do support gay marriage.

• I do. Plus it's 2016

• In the country I live in it is legal. In some of the countries I lived in before this it was legal. However as a person with CAIS it gets problematic. In some countries having the XY dna can prevent you from marrying as it would be seen as gay marriage to marry a man. In other countries if your genitals look female even if you're XY dna you can marry a man. But in some you would need a sex change. I have chimerism and one marriage I had they didn't care about my gender as I was seen as third gender and allowed to marry my boyfriend. In another country they said your genitals look female we will consider you married. In one other country they said no. When my other marriage ended and later someone else asked me to marry them. They declaired me male for the XY chromosome even though I lived most my life female. So I had surgery plus doctors explaining I had 2 female structures they found at the time (because of CAIS). I was declared female in that other country and allowed to marry. Which later ended because the guy married me for the wrong reasons and was after my family's estate. He was later imprisoned for running scams with a woman he also claimed to be married to. The scams were on gay, transgendered, and intersex people.

• i do

• I support love.
    I think it's really that simple.

• I do, but im not about to make a big fuss about it. I know there are gays themselves who dont support it and someone made a good point to me once that the government already considers gay couples as de-facto (not the word but i can't remember what it is) relationships and they receive all the government benefits that any other couple receive. (At least that is the case in Aus, as far as I am aware)

So really all the marches and shit are for is that bit of paper and a ceremony.

What I'LL be marching for is equal rights when it comes to adoption and the like. Why make it harder for a gay couple to have a child when you KNOW they want one, when nothing is being done about the REASON those kids are up for adoption in the first place!

• I can see why people don't support it but I don't see a point why those reasons are valid in this day and age. So obviously I support it. What I don't support are those dumbass gay parades that suck.

• I don't support it but I wouldn't go around marching against it. It is just not something I give opinion about.

• Yes I do. It's just two people in love. It's legal in Oregon as well.

• It doesn't matter to me...

• Yes very much. Everyone has the right to get marry. It does not matter if they are homosexual, bi sexual, or straight.

• Yes, I support gay marriage. I don't see it as "un-natural", it doesn't make a difference in my life if there are homosexual couples getting married.

• Two men or two women decide to get married somewhere in the world.

Nothing happens. Their decision to do so doesn't affect me in anyway. Neither do straight marriages.

Another day begins where on my long list of concerns in life, this doesn't even make a mark.

• "No freedom till we're equal damn right I support it."

May I ask why you don't?

I don't like to share to much with people as to why I don't but part of why I don't is because I think it's not right for someone to marry the same gender as them I just feel that marriage is ment for a man and woman

But if God made all of us then he made people gay. Now I'm not religious in the sliiightest but it annoys me when people use a book that was written hundreds of thousands of years ago and translated multiple times, as back up to their opinion, it's like citing Wikipedia in a school report, not only does it show you're closed minded but your source is unreliable.

I'm sorry if I used the Bible as to why I don't support gay marriage but it's my beliefs and I don't agree with gay marriage

• I support it because there's absolutely no reason not to.

• I support gay marriage, but very much based on a theoretical standpoint. In the United States, the government took control of marriage (instead of having it remain as a church institution). As a federal institution, the government gives benefits to married couples for being married. If the institution of marriage had remained solely in religious hands, I would say that the government can't force gay marriage. As it is, marriage is not a religious institution, and therefore, the government shouldn't be able to enforce a religious standard by having it only be between a man and a woman. Once the government gave benefits for marriage, any two consenting adults should be able to receive these benefits as they choose by getting married.
    For some perspective: I am a devout Christian. My support for this isn't because I think all people should be married for "love", but because I believe in standing by the Constitution, which says that the government cannot establish a religion, nor can they prevent the free exercise of one. I therefore also support priests being able to decline to perform gay marriages, as well as bakers who don't want to bake a cake for a gay marriage. They should be able to exercise their religions as they choose.

• I really don't, and I never will.

• Yes, I do.
    I'm not bothered by gay people and I think they should have the right to get married, like heterosexual people.
    I believe they shouldn't be discriminated against.

• I won't disrespect gays or be rude towards them BUT I dont support gay marriage.

• Yes, I do support gay marriage. Everyone deserves to marry the one they love. I know a lot of gay men and women, who I wish all the best. Their relationship is sometimes even better than most relationships from straight people.

• More from Girls
    42

5 private opinion(s)