Do you tip when getting carryout?

Do you tip when getting carryout? If so, do you tip what you normally would, whatever it may be, or a reduced amount because it's carryout?

obvoiusly im asking those in countries where it's considered the norm to tip. If your culture doesn't tip, feel free to weigh in if you want but those aren't the opinions I'm after

• yes
  • no
  • Yes, but at a reduced amount

Most Helpful Girl

• hell no. there's nothing to tip. I am doing the work if it's carryout. They should tip me.

Most Helpful Guy

• I throw them a dollar and the change usually, if by carryout you mean I go and pick it up myself at the restaurant. If you mean home delivery, I tip at least $5, or just 20-25% (whichever is more) like I would do for a waiter, I mean they're driving across town to bring it to my door. But if you bring me an $8 sandwich and that's it, that's where the $5 minimum comes in. I knew a lot of kids in college who were delivery drivers, and they got tipped TERRIBLY, like a $9.25 order would get a $10 bill and a "keep the change"😒 Those jobs suck, and where I live, their employers pay less than minimum wage and they rely on tips to make money, and it beats the hell out of your car. And for in-store carryout, I've had jobs like that, and I always thought it was a really cool gesture to give a small tip, so I always vowed to do the same and pay it forward👍

What Girls Said 16

• Yea. I usually tip around 20% for delivery. If they're doing it in the middle of winter, I tip around 30%.

-
    Cold and Skittles do not agree. If I'm not getting my ass out in that cold, the least I can do is show them I'm grateful for delivering to me and getting *their* ass out in the cold. lol

It's taken me 2 days to realize that this said *carry out* and I thought it said "delivery"

lmao

For carryout? Have before, don't usually. Not unless they leave a great impression.

• Usually just if it is For... Delivery.
    Other than that, if I am Dining in with someone, I will Tip my Server 15%.
    Good luck and Great question, @Koldhearted xx

• I tip the delivery person but I don't tip if I pick it up. I'm already paying for the cost of the food and I'm not being waited on so there's no reason for me to tip.

• If I'm picking up a pizza, no. If I'm getting takeout from a sit-down restaurant then yes, because it was most likely a waitress who had to take time away from her existing tables to get my order for me.

• If I'm picking up the food myself then no, I see no reason to leave a tip since I'm not actually being waited on. I only tip if I'm dining in (delivery doesn't apply to me since I don't live in an urban area).

• There's no tipping custome where I live - people get their paychecks normally - through employer.

But I do tip a bit when eating at a restaurant.

• I tip on a sliding scale from 20% to 5% for regular service, based on quality of service.

I tip 10-15% for delivery.

I tip usually $5 for take out regardless of the price.

• Yes, but not nearly as much as I would a server and only delivery drivers. If I pick up at the store, I don't tip. I don't think delivery drivers have to deal with nearly as many annoyances as servers and they get paid more than a server does in most places. And if I have to go pick up the food, then you didn't do anything, so I'm not leaving you anything. Servers will get like 10-15%, a delivery driver gets a dollar or two and I have to pick up, I don't tip anything.

• I only tip for dine in and delivery.

• Carry out, no. Restaurant, always.

• Unless I get rude service I tip. It could make someone day.

• We don't tip Down Under!

• If you mean pick it up myself no why would I tip.

• nope

• Whoops.
    I was thinking delivery and voted yes.
    But, no!

• Tip for what? I'm the one picking it up.

What Guys Said 19

• no i don't. unless a person has to do extra aside from turning around picking up my order and handing it to me i don't tip

• Tip for handing me a bag over the counter? Yeah right. The delivery driver gets a tip because they brought the stuff all the way to me, but someone who turns around, grabs the takeout bag from the kitchen window and hands it to me? No way.

• A few things here. It depends on how busy it is and what's involved in getting my order together ie (special packaging).

I've noticed Asian and Indian require alot' of stuff. I ordered Miso Ramen today and it came with three containers. Tip was warranted there.

But like burgers, pizza, Mexican food? Naw, no tip when i pick up. Thai food take-out takes alot' of containers to.

• I don't even tip at restaurants anymore. They are already being paid to do their job. I don't get tips for doing my job (Which is a public service job) so why should I tip someone else.
    When a fireman or policeman saves someone, I don't see them getting tipped either. Same with a doctor that saved someone's life. So why should another person be tipped for bringing my food when they are already paid to do it?
    That doesn't make sense to me at all.

• B or c.

If it's takeout from a chain, no.

If it's a small place where I'm a regular, a little

• Only when sitting down to eat. I eat out 5 days a seek I spend enough. on tips as is

• Of course not. I came to pick it up. As a former server and delivery driver, I more than understand the value of tipping.

• Whatever the loose change is - Here everything under 5 euro is coins

• When I first moved to Australia and dined out with white Aussies, we were dragged aside and sternly warned to never tip - "We don't tip here. This isn't America. Don't fuck it up for the rest of us."

• That's the whole point of carrying it out, to avoid feeling like an ass when not tipping. Only one I've ever tipped where hookers when they went beyond the basic call of duty.

• Fuck that lol.

• What is carryout?

• Only dine in

• I feel like a jerk if I don't tip at least a dollar for pickup

• no service, no tip

• I always tip $4.20 because that's how much it costs to get the bus home if they get fired

• I know that it sucks working these jobs so I always tip.

• Nope

• No tip for just handing me a bag. But delivery and table service yes tip.