Is getting a motorbike a good idea or not?

I like the idea of a motorbike (even though I don't really know much about them at all) and I'm hoping you can try to convince me one way or another as to why I should or shouldn't get a motorbike instead of a car.

I'd also appreciate any motorbike riders input :)

• Ultimately it's a good idea (explain)
  • Ultimately it's a bad idea (explain)
  • Other/see results

Most Helpful Guy

• I ride, not currently (had to sell it), learned eight years ago. It is a cheap, fun way to commute and a great hobby. I've met so many cool people through the shared love of two wheels.

It is very dangerous, but you can take a lot of steps to protect yourself. Always wear your full gear, all the time, no exceptions, even on a blazing hot day. Wear a full face helmet. Don't ride like a lunatic. Leave extra space and always assume the other vehicles haven't seen you.

If you ride, you get to work every day with a smile on your face, and when you go home, you take a two hour detour to enjoy the ride.

The moment I knew it was for me was about halfway through my lessons. I was on a 500cc bike (Kwak ER-5) and we joined a road with a 60mph limit. My instructor was a former police instructor riding a huge BMW tourer and said "come on then, let's go" over the headset, so I cranked the throttle hard. That bike accelerated like you would not believe, I was at 60 in a matter of seconds. Incredible feeling.

Most Helpful Girl

• As a rider and driver myself. These are the things you should be asking yourself.
    -car and motorbike registration is the same $748.00
    -car and motorbike insurance is the same $457.00
    -you're likely to not ride a motorbike during all the seasons. During winter. It's MORE dangerous.
    -there are some drivers out there who are not considerate of riders on the road.
    -maintenance of a motorbike is costly. If you need a new rear tyre. That'd be $300-400 thank you.
    -petrol can last a while in a motorbike (smaller fuel tank compared to cars) but cars can cost cheaply on fuel depending how many litres your car engine is
    -protective gear is costly for a motorcycle. You want the best out there as that is the ONLY safety you have with you
    -on a motorcycle you can only have ONE pillion (passenger) where you car you can have a couple
    -storage. Cars have a boot, motorcycles don't. Unless you buy a cruiser and they have saddles or you buy a back pack. Even by then it's still short on storage
    -comfortability. Sports bikes are uncomfy for long periods of times. The muscle pulls on your legs can be painful from changing gear all the time. The position where you're almost leaving over your fuel tank really doesn't help with lower back pain. You don't have anything to protect you from the wind hitting you. If you buy a cruiser they're more comfortable, because you're sitting upright.

What Guys Said 37

• They're cheaper to buy and run usually, faster travel times considering you can go between cars and therefore not get stuck in traffic to the same degree, arguably more fun to ride as well and take up less space.

Negatives are that they're not as practical as cars, can't take as many passengers or bags etc, not as comfortable especially considering hot weather and having to wear a helmet and possibly body armor and it's not nice when it's raining. The big negative is that they're a lot of more dangerous.

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinions but I think those are the main points to consider, personally I choose both.

• I learned to ride a few years ago. Never got a motorbike because my wife was concerned for my safety and knew how drivers are around the city I live in are not very good at watching out for motorists. If that wasn't the case though, I'd buy a bike in a heart beat! It was the greatest feeling riding a motorbike. Just you feel so free and the adrenaline rush of riding 80 mph down a highway on just 2 wheels is unmatched except for maybe being in a fighter jet or skydiving. But I believe it's not an idea thing for riders, I don't think that comes into the equation much at all. It's a feeling you get on a bike you can't beat that drives people that ride to ride. However, on that note, you should know your environment. If the drivers on the roads you live in aren't very careful and don't care about the more vulnerable people on the roads safety, ie, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists/scooters, and that, then you'll have to maybe think twice about if it is a good idea or not.

• It's the best decision I've ever made in my entire life.
    It's basically like owning your private fighter jet on two wheels.
    The freedom of the road.
    http://i.imgur.com/JcHKPUL.jpg
    The adventure.
    http://i.imgur.com/X2qUgEy.jpg
    The adrenaline.
    http://i.imgur.com/b0usQQa.gif
    The dank whoolies to be have.
    http://i.imgur.com/1dEhRI0.png
    It's basically sex on two wheels.

GO GET ONE!
    I guarantee you you won't regret it.

Some people are so afraid of dying they forget to live. Shame.
      Don't let fear dictate your life.

• I really want one, but, you have to understand that they're ridiculously dangerous to the point it's almost stupid.

If your in a car you have a steel cage protecting you, if you're on a bike you have about 5mm of leather protecting you.

I think they're awesome, and I'm planning on buying one, but. They're not a very smart thing to get if I'm honest.

• I've been riding for years. It's lovely. It's also dangerous. On a motorcycle, there are no crumple zones… your body is the crumple zone. And people don't see you. Drivers see two things (when they're paying attention): car and no car. And—guess what—a motorcycle is not a car.

So you need to accept higher risk. Also, go to a motorcycle safety class. But, for me, it's worth it!

• It's dangerous to use motorbikes as daily transport in heavy traffic. The chance of permanent injury is MUCh higher than driving a car.

• Okay, I would suggest you getting a car first because you would grow in your experience of being on the road, learn to become aware of your surroundings. Do this for a couple of years.
    I am about to get a street bike, and I come from a background of dirt bikes, also I have 9 years of experience on the road yet I can't be dumb about it either.
    I have many friends that ride on the street and it's a must to be constantly aware of your surroundings, others aren't looking out for you even in a car let alone a bike. Yea get one, yet be very careful!

• Just started riding about a year ago, so this whole process is pretty fresh for me.
    This is really a decision only you can make. They are dangerous, no doubt. Its up to you whether or not its worth it.
    That aside, unless you live in a major city with good public transport, do not get a bike as your only vehicle. They really aren't very practical for everyday use. Keeping two or more rides on the road gets very expensive very quickly.
    Do you know anyone who rides? Picking out a bike is something best left to someone that knows their stuff.
    Taking a safety course is mandatory here, even if it isn't for you, take it. You'll learn a lot. I would also suggest that you get some driving time in a car to learn road basics before getting on a bike, if you haven't already.

• Not sure about Australia and what you mean as far as a motor bike. But if you like speed and you want a crotch rocket just be careful. Insurance for one is really high here. I don't see you much as a Harley Davidson chick haha but maybe I'm wrong. Or are you looking for something that's maybe not too powerful kinda like a mix between a moped and a motorcycle?

Sorry I meant motorcycle --they're pretty much the same thing here.
      I'd like to ride a Harley or an Indian, but I think I might attract a lot of unwanted attention, because they're the bikes that are almost exclusively ridden by bikers.
      At this stage, I'd take whatever bike I can get lol.

Haha cheers :P and well I sure hope so lol

Hahah cheers indeed 😛

• You should not get a bike under the age of 25.

I will be getting one but after a discussion with my previous manager about bikes I decided not to get them.

He's had he's spinal cord broken In 3 places. He was partially paralysed.

He still loved bikes. So I will get them but only after I accept being face to face with death when I'm mature enough.

With a car you go over a pothole at 50mph you just get a little bump.

With a bike at 30mph you're seriously injured if you're really lucky and dead if not.

• I ride, and have ridden since I was 14 or so. Motorcycles are a lot of fun, and if you are a safe and aware driver then go for it. Just know that many drivers have trouble seeing motorcycles so you have to stay alert, keep aware of other cars' blind spots, and distracted drivers (I had a guy on a cellphone nearly hit me 3 completely separate times within a 8 blocks)

• They're much more fuel efficient and cheaper to own than cars. Just make sure you start out on a small engine size (no more than 300cc) and that you buy a real good helmet and all the extra gear like Kevlar jeans, a leather/textile jacket, gloves, riding boots, etc. Not sure how riding laws are down under but I think you still need a special license to ride one

• It's a bad idea. It would definitely be fun, but it's INCREDIBLY fucking dangerous.
    Especially since you're only 17 and you have no experience on the road. There are tons of idiots on the road, if someone merges into you in a car, oh no, you get a fucked up car.
    Someone merges into your bike, you're probably going to end up in a hospital or dead. Many other scenarios, someone cuts you off, fender bender? No you'll go splat into the back of their vehicle and potentially snap your neck.
    Basically if anyone even makes contact with you, or causes an unforeseen incident, you have a good chance of reacting the wrong way. On a motorcycle/sports bike you really have no protection. You could be launched 100 feet in the 'right' circumstance.

All of what you say is true I know from experience. I was hit by a car "my fault" almost died spent months in the hospital & years of recovery. But I would never give up riding.

@douride2 Yeah fair enough, I might even get one and ride around here and there, but a 17 year old girl should not even sort of get one. Everyone will have at least one accident on them :/

Tell me about it I was only 15 at the time. Not even legal to be on the road.

• Please don't! I always say people that drive motorcycles etc instead of cars are just adding so much risk if you get into an accident its so much more likely you'll die or be severely injured. Stay safe and in a car please!

• You can't bring more than one buddy along with you on a bike.

• I don't much about bikes but they look cool

• They are cool amd women on motorbikes can be really sexy, but they are also unsafe and dangerous. I would take a car, that is safest for you.

• If you know how to ride it, absolutely! If not, then no. I have a motorcycle, because it helps on my wallet (fuel-wise). Although, having a car is good because you have room to put stuff if you went to the store (grocery or retail).

• Well both have their own pros and cons... but i think a bike will be better as you can get anywhere faster..

• can't see a problem with a motorbike, if you wear correct gear and watch out for idiots you should be ok, just remember bikes aren't dangerous people are

• It is fun to ride one, and costs less, but it isn't practical when you need to go to the store or go on a long trip where you bring luggage.

• Car is better.

• not for me but it depends what you want them for.

• If it's too cold or too hot or raining or snowing or hailing or you're tired, a car is more comforable. Get a car.

• If for everyday stuff, it's a bad idea.

• Girl on a sportsbike 😍
    Ok but you should mention your needs for a vehicle then I could help

• You will likely crash and die. I prefer you still alive😆

• 2 wheelers pros- Can easily crawl through heavy traffic, consumes less fuel,
    cons-not really safe, can't use in poor weather
    If you want to use a vehicle for short distances go for a 2 wheeler and if you have to cover long distances get 4 wheeler.

• If ur heart says bike than go for it 👍 dhoom dhoom dhoom 😊

• I personally choose motor bike but if you want to choose for urself please buy car for ur safety

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 9

• I'd say no since you don't know what you're doing or much about them.
    Reseach them, perhaps rent one, read some books etc. But don't get one without understanding them.
    They require a LOT of upkeep. My partner rides every weekend and works on his every week. He's had it 6 months and already replaced several parts, you need to know when and how often to change oil and oil filters and what oil you may want to use. The chains and sprockets and their purpose etc.
    He has a dirt bike, and I know they're different from road bikes, but road bikes while lower maintenance are still quite high.

ONCE you have learnt about them and know what you're getting into (constant money being thrown out), then go for it.

• I tell you: the cons outweigh the pros. Practically speaking, getting a motorbike is a good idea only when you consider affordability and cheaper maintenance than cars.

Still, getting a car is better in terms of safety and convenience (don't you want comfy seats and airconditioned space?)

However, you need to obtain a driver's license for both vehicles, unlike bicycles.

Some cons that apply to my country (that may also apply to where you're at):

1. Mandatory protective gear. When you don't wear one, prepare for sanctions and records.
    2. More prone to danger especially in traffic jams since roads here barely designate lines for two-wheeled modes of transportation.
    3. Accommodation is restricted. A motorbike is allowed two people on board. Beyond two, sanctions would apply.

4- If it rains (probably not in australia...) it sucks

• I think it's a bad idea mostly because of the accidents.
    Two of my uncles used to own motorbike.
    One of them recently got into an accident even though he was riding in a normal to slow speed.

Also, I think motorbike is fun to ride once in a while not for an everyday transport.

• Get a car instead. A motorcycles is risky/dangerous, you'll have to be extremely careful with it, especially with all the traffic jam: fast cars, big trucks, etc... It's scary how much more motorcycle accidents there are out there. You don't want to increase your chances of severely injuring yourself or even losing your life. It's more important to choose the vehicle that's more secure versus the one that's more economic or faster.

• It'll be way cheaper for you probably. In the USA kids usually have to have their cars on their parent's insurance and not in their won names, and it can still be really costly. Let alone repairs and gas.

• In place of a car, no. As something extra while you already have a car, go for it.

• Probably a bad idea, but I'm not saying don't get it if you don't really want it. Ultimately it's your choice

• Nahh a car it's better in my opinion

• no get a car instead