Should I go to doctor for neck pain or keep trying to treat it at home?

The back/right side of my neck has been hurting me for about 5 days now. I assumed it was because of poor pillows, so I got better pillows and I feel like they're helping somewhat but the pain is still there. I've just kinda been taking ibuprofen to get through the days. Sometimes the pain is mild and sometimes it's almost unbearable.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would either go to chiropractor and see if your neck is out of alignment or go to Dr. and get checked out. My experience is Dr. s are not of any use unless there isa serious problem, but you want to know if there is a serious problem sometimes.

if you suspect it was from your pillows, I'd go the chiro route.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would go to a chiropractor if anything. Sitting for long periods during the day especially with poor posture can negatively affect a lot of functions of the body. I had back pain that came on out of nowhere once that was so bad that I couldn't lay down due to the pain, and in one session and subsequent changes to how I worked at my desk, I felt like a new woman. I've never felt so incredibly good after a visit to a doctor in my life. If R. I. C. E. isn't working, and of course ibuprofen only masks pain, doesn't heal it, head to either your doctor or a chiropractor.

What Guys Said 14

• i would try some topical muscle relaxes like tiger balm or something to see if it is just an issue of soreness or inflammation

• As you say, it's probably related to your sleeping position, but of course it could be something more serious.

Judging by the level of pain, I would go to a doctor and find out for sure.

• You should at least see a kine... maybe he or she could help you out as well.
    If after 5 days it didn't get better than don't continue to run around like this and suffer :o
    Better to go see someone who can help :D

• I would wait perhaps 2 or 3 more days and then if it still does not go away, I would seek professional help. The longer you delay these things, the more complicated the recovery can be.

• Try moving more, less time at the computer, other pillows. If that doesn't help, see a doctor.

I do spend a lot of time sitting, but I'm also a runner... you think my runs are making it worse or better? :/

That's a question for your doctor.

• Yes, see a Doctor.

• Pain means doctor, you could be doing real damage.

• What kind of pain is it? Can you describe it?

It feels muscular but I'm not sure; I suppose it could be skeletal. I feel okay now because I took ibuprofen, but if I don't take pills then it hurts in varying amounts. Sometimes it only hurts when I try to turn my head, and sometimes the very weight of supporting my head gives me severe pain.

I don't have a heating pad so haven't tried that, but it does feel better when I'm in the shower (hot water). I'll try an ice pack today and see if it helps. Lol thanks for your help! ;)

Yeah definitely give that a try!! Or even a neck massage may help! Lol anytime 😉

• Is it only after you sleep that you first experienced it? Have you tried a heat compress to see if it helps? Has the pain stayed the same or gotten worse?

Yeah, it started after I woke up one morning. Haven't tried the heat compress. Pain is staying pretty steady it seems. There are times it seems to improve but then it gets worse again.

• Well it's only 5 days but since it's your neck I wouldn't wait too long. I hurt my knee playing softball last year and still trying to get back to 100% consistently.

I hear you lol. I injured both my knees shortly after I became a runner this year, could barely walk for 2 weeks and couldn't run for over 2 months.

Walking wasn't bad but running, bending too far or going down stairs wasn't easy lol

• Yeah get it checked out. Better be safe than sorry, even if it's not anything bad.

• Go for the doctor. It has been long for enough days.

• If you're in pain go to the doctor. Your health is very important.

• You should go to doctor.

What Girls Said 5

• I'd go to the doctor or a chiropractor at the very least just in case. Something could be out of alignment.

• Go to a doctor, or a chiropractor. Doctor will most likely recommened you a chiropractor anyways so you can choose to skip a step or not.

In the meanwhile use a heating pad.

• Definitely go to the doctor, its been 5 days already :/

• You can go to the doctor, see a massage therapist, physical therapist, or chiropractor.

• Go to a chiro