Should I go to the memorial of my old pastor, I am atheist now?

I would love to go since he was such a huge part of my childhood. He reminds me of a real life Gandalf. Would it be appropriate considering I am now atheist? I don't think he would mind because I remember him as kind, thoughtful, and tolerant towards atheists. But the reason my family left that church was because so many people were judgmental towards my disabled brother.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only go if your heart is truly into. Don't worry about the judgmental people cause you got know that karma will meet them kind. If this will make you
    feel better than go , if it would make you upset and uncomfortable than
    don't go it's entirely how you feel.
    Something I like share and please don't think I'm annoying. This Atheist
    was about to die in plane crash he never believed in God. While on the
    phone with his mother he said, mom i am about to die I want tell you
    i love you with all my heart , minutes before the plane crashed his last
    words his mom heard was "Omg" ( Oh My God) His mother who was a
    Christian said, sure my son was atheist i never judged him but i do know
    his soul was saved and his internal life is in the hands of God she smiled
    said i know it i can feel it inside.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should go. It doesn't matter that you're an atheist. You had a personal relationship with him and that's all that matters. Just because some people in the church may have been judgmental shouldn't make a difference, the memorial is for him and if you had a good relationship with him, I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all for you to be there.

What Guys Said 18

• Yes you should do and honor him regardless or your beliefs. Your paying your respects to him is way more important than staying away because of your differences.

• He was a huge part of your life and made you who you are today. You know in your heart you want to go, he would not shun you because your beliefs have changed.

• Sure, if you go there because you still appreciate him than that's a nice gesture.
    Especially since you don't go for religious purposes but somply because of him :D

• If you consider him like a friend, certainly.

• It is cool to go and pay your respects regardless of your present beliefs

• Yes I would honestly. Even though you are atheist now growing up by whatyou posted he was part of your childhood and Im sure had some influence on you. I wouldgo for respect.

• Yeah he had a positive impact on your life. He seems like he was a good guy.

• you should if you had an attachment to him, its a sign of mutual respect, no matter the religion

oh and by the way those people who judged your brothers are scum. ignore them for good

• I would go.

• Go, memorials are about fond memories.

• go to it, he means something to you. it's not about some imaginary thing but cause u cared about him.

• Absolutely

• Go ahead.
    I'm sure he will like that wherever he is.

• He helped you in your child hood you should pay respects. I'm an atheist and I go to funerals for Christian family members

• I think you should just out of respect and to show atheists have morals too

• Of course you should.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, you should go. Even though he isn't a live, he will be looking down from above, and he will be happy to see you. :)

• I don't think that, that would be such a bad thing. Honestly, in some way, you had a platonic love for him because as a kid, he was always around. Showing respect is never a bad thing. ever.

• You should go because you had a meaningful bond with him. 😊