Can I use an external hard drive to play games?

i have no idea how external hard drives work, never had to use one until now probably...

so i downloaded smite onto my new shitty 25gb laptop... and because of stupid windows 10 all the apps and stuff take up most the space (good going Microsoft). when i try start the game it says you need at least 6gb free to download and play.

if i get an external hard drive will i be able to play smite?

Most Helpful Guy

• if it's a USB3.0 one then it should work (you PC needs to have a USB3.0 port of course too, on a 2.0 one it will be slow again)

but 25GB hard drive? if your pc is that old, then it probably won't run the game anyway. 25GB isn't even enough for the operating system in the long term. the minimum is 20GB for the 64bit version but that's just the basic installation, it will get bigger over time.

if your laptop isn't that old and you just have an extremely old hard disk in it for whatever reason... change the hard disk.

Most Helpful Girl

• An external one does work but if you're already out if space I'm not sure it will

What Guys Said 4

• You only can't setup Windows on USB devices like external hard drive

• 25GB laptop? Where did you buy it from the 1990s?

Every laptop has at least 128GB (Solid State)

But theorically yes you can run it from an external hard drive, in practise though this isn't a good idea

• Yeah it shoud be able to play better with USB3 and SSD

• theoretically yes
    But I can't say how much it effects the performance of this game

What Girls Said 1

• If you have a shitty laptop you aren't gonna run smite well if at all honestly