Does your performance in University affect you as an adult?

I graduated in June.

The way I've screwed up one of my years bothers me to this date. It's not just from an employment perspective, but also because I feel as though I was not sincere with school. It keeps me up at night just thinking that I fucked up on those courses.

On top of it, while I did recover there is still room to seriously try to get back to what I was before I took time off.

Most Helpful Guy

• the degree and where it's from matters.

If you lost opportunities that could matter.

Beyond that? Very unlikely you will ever be asked your marks after your first job. Even then they probably ask only generally. and most of them will be happy if you finished strong.

What if you want to do more school.

Which year did you screw up, and can you get solid recommendation letters?

Also is there a 'story'?

A guy I knew applying to law school had bad marks in second year. They asked him what happened and he told them. He joined a frat and smoked a lot of pot. Then he straightened himself and had good marks since.

He got in. Became a DA.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as you got the degree, no one really gives a crap to be honest. I used to think so too. I was afraid people would see my Cs and be like nope we're not hiring that failure. When you're first starting out they may look at your transcripts (if they even bother to ask for them), and as long as you have a decent GPA, they don't really care. I think the transcripts is just to prove that you actually went to college rather than look at your grades because it's so easy to fake diplomas these days. Once you get more experience under your belt, they won't give a hoot about your grades because your experience in the field is the valuable quality they want.

It's more about me feeling like i'm not smart

No need to stress! You're fine! lol

What Guys Said 7

• The majority of jobs don't care about your marks. So long as you got your degree, that's all employers care about.

• Some billionaires/millionaires didn't even go to college which should tell u that whats being taught is not truly beneficial knowledge of the real world and getting ahead in it but i say go for it if its that important to u or will continue to have regrets. No one wants to live much less die with regrets.

• Yeah it's pretty important. The only thing you could do is go to Grad school now. That would help out a lot you could work hard and get a higher degree it would make it easier for you to get a good job. I'd say it also matters what you got your degree in.

Could you answer my question.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2112691-was-i-wrong-to-ask-for-the-money-back

• Yep, but the further along in life you are, the less it matters.

I think it's more about me feeling as though I didn't even retain enough information to get a credit for some of my courses.

Don't worry about it for several reasons.
      1. You won't use much of it.
      2. Some of it will be obsolete in time. Moreso depending on major. Know anyone hiring FORTRAN coders?
      3. The career networking and reputation that you develop in during your career will be more important. Especially in the Gig Economy.
      4. Going along with Point 3, the most important education you will get is learning about human nature and interpersonal office politics. College really can't teach that; you need the "lab" of the real world.

• Well I do wish I had taken declarative programming.

• Most employers won't pull your transcripts, they just confirm the degree (if even that).

• Yes.

What Girls Said 12

• It's absolutely crucial to be able to compete in the job market. If you have a master and 10 other people apply to a job with the same master they'll obviously prefer the ones with the better grades/most credits.

• Yeah I was a very good student in HS and I have been having struggling in University because of indecisiveness (mostly)... I lost 3 years and changed my major twice x_x

• Dear God, I hope not. The best thing you can do is move on with your head high, if you want to redo some classes at a tech school, do that. Get a masters, do that. The world is your oyster.

• It honestly depends on the degree you got. My cousin is an engineer and they wouldn't even look at any engineering applicants with a GPA lower than a 3.0. But I know people who are writers or work for some businesses and they cared more about internships and recommendations than college courses. So depends on what you plan on doing.

• It's time to get a job or go back to school.. The past is the past and you cannot change it so stop wishing it was different. I highly doubt that a prospective employer is going to look at your grades. And if he does your explanation should be honest and straightforward. ("Yes I am embarrassed about that grade but it does not reflect who I am or actually how much I know in that area of study.. I honestly feel that grade reflects a degree of immaturity rather than intellectual ability. Thank heaven I have moved past that.")

• Your degree matters. Your pretty much garaunteed a career with a STEM degree.
    Grades dont matter unless you flunked it what you know and your degree

• not in the slightest

• well how bad did you do? and what were your mistakes?

B average. Mistakes was I stopped doing well.

Then I went back to doing well but hardly

@FallOutBoy2001 Exactly it's my pet peeve with people who did well and they going to complain. She could have been the one who was a dropout, had Cs only or Ds only.

I did get Cs and Ds in some of my classes.

Basically here's what happened I did super well in my 2nd year of school, and 1st year was okay as well. However I took 2 years off. So when I came back I started getting Cs and Ds and barely passing etc.

3rd year was an important year. However I pulled up my socks and turned it around in 4th year so I guess it ended up averaging out to around a B.

• Lol no

• Get over it. It'll only affect you if you choose to let it. It's only one factor of many in the hiring process after you graduate and since you "recovered, im assuming that it means that you returned to your better gpa the last year it really so not that big of a deal. Of course if you are trying to get into grad school then yeah it might affect that. After your first job out of college no one cares about your gpa at all. They care about your job performance.

I graduated with a borderline B average

I just got an interview today and they didn't ask for my grades.

I think it's more about me feeling like I'm not smart, or haven't worked as hard as my peers. Like some of my courses I barely retained ANY information. I just couldn't study the same way.

I miss that side of me. I know that it's unrealistic for me to do more school if I don't fix it.

Honestly... the fact you graduated is enough to show you can handle yourself. The workplace is very very different. There is nothing that can replace commitment determination and passion in the workplace. No amount of As will make you better than you are today. Have those three things and you won't find anyone out competing you.

• Yes it does depending on your personality

• Yeah it does

How do I fixi t? I am thinking of taking some classes part-time. I mean if i don't fix it now, I will probably never be 'able' to study in my entire life I think and I wouldn't want that