Dear guitar players?

Do you learn to play it by your own or do you take formal class?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well i'm not the best guitar player in the world, but i play a bit, I play mostly metal/rock and blues.

Most Helpful Girl

• I learned to play by ear. I can't read music but if i hear a song im pretty good at replicating what i hear...

Thanks for MH :)

What Guys Said 7

• Either way is good and it depends on the person. I enjoy taking 90's rock songs and translating them using various acoustic techniques.

What kind of guitar do you want to play primarily? This will depend on how and what you learn first.

Youtube makes all the difference. You want to get yourself to PLAYING as soon as you can. Good subjects that you MUST start with:

How to tune the guitar
    If it is an older guitar take it to a luthier to have a setup done. This generally runs about 50 bucks and its totally worth it. Also get new strings put on it if it is used. Your fingers will thank you.

In the mean time learn to tune your guitar. You may need a tuner if you don't have good pitch (there are good, free tuning apps for android and iOS)

Learn and patiently practice the proper way to fret a string. This is very important. It will be hard at first and may sound muted, but use youtube.

Learn some basic open chords (meaning they are not barred - which are very difficult chords) You want to learn G C D E A. Most songs can be played with a capo and these chords. Learn each fingering and then practice switching between them focusing on a clean sounding chord and getting your fingers used to the positions.

That is a few months right there of regular practice. Wish you the best in your journey.

• I taught myself (and I am getting better naturally so I guess I'm still teaching myself lol).

I learned the very basics off of youtube videos on a cheap crappy acoustic guitar. I then essentially practiced and figured out the rest on my own, getting better equipment along the way. For new techniques, I find youtube to be helpful, but a lot of it is just practice... Which often consists of making music or looking at guitar tab from songsterr. com.

Are you needing help in learning on your own? I can probably give you some pointers if need be.

• I took many years of formal classes. I also had to learn about music theory.

• i used to go to music school and have formal class as child but after i left the music school as a teenager i continued learning on my own. There are a lot of guitar lessons on the net , yt vids for specific songs etc. Iam not a pro but i do play pretty well.

• I did take a formal class when I was in 5th grade, and from there I learned from my own by watching videos on youtube.

• I'm teaching myself, that way I can choose what to learn.

• I'm teaching myself because I prefer it

What Girls Said 1

• I learned to play on my own. Well.. I had an uncle who showed me the chords but then I went and googled chords to songs I knew then I would hum the tune and practice the chords as I went strumming came a little later after I got better at chord changes