How do you become more positive and optimistic?

I'm such a negative person and I'm so sick of it

2mo bump
2mo 🐻🐼🐨🐯🦁

Most Helpful Guy

• It's very hard. When the glass is half empty I either drink it all up or I simply just pour all of the remaining half out in the sink. But I can always refill the glass again afterwards if I want to, since there is still a glass that is NOT broken or shattered.

But what is it exactly that you want to be more positive and optimistic about specifically? Just about everything? Or just certain things? Maybe you can be realistic and focus on what you actually CAN still do and that will actually still make a difference and forget about what you CAN NOT do, simply just because you cannot do them. Focus on what you have control over. As there are just way too many different things that we do not have control over, such as how other people see us, feel or think about us, or judge us, even they're all negative about us.

Just do the best you can with what you have and what you know, and keep trying, and if that doesn't work, switch methods and then try again, trial-and-error.

Thanks😊

Thanks for MHO!

Just remember to always focus on what you have control over, and if there are things beyond your control, well then, that's what they meant by things happen, shit happens, and there was really not something you really could do about it because it wasn't on you or up to you to make those decisions as you just had to play along and go through what had happened. No point in crying or moping about bad things that had already happen, but take your time to heal emotionally as you'll need to, but keep going forward, because that's all you can really do. E. G. If you lost a job, someone close to you such as a friend or family member, or even a breakup or a divorce, these things can happen unexpectedly, so just do the best you can. You can NOT control other people, only yourself, your own actions, thoughts, and feelings, and that is all you truly have control over.

No, thanks :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Optimism and positiveness are my best qualities. Those come to me naturally, I really don't have to make much effort on it. However, if I do feel negative I do some meditations, read quotes or write some lines.

What Guys Said 21

• "If there is anything good, focus on that." Find the good in things.

If something goes wrong, find something that you learned or that went right. It really is a matter of perspective.

That said.. your feelings are another matter. The above is thinking and rational and perspective and helps you to overcome negatives. it will take time to re-wire your thinking and feeling. But your feeling is a reaction that is based upon your wiring and feelings from childhood. If you've had a lot of bad things happen then you may be controlled by fear, shame, etc.. That stuff needs to be worked out in counseling or by processing what happened and putting it into perspective. Old "wounds" can lay dormant for years and control a person. Its best to root them out when you can.

read some books on positive thinking, read "change your life in 7 days". Just smile... it changes you immediately. Also, colors make a difference in mood... use warmer happier colors.

Rephrase your question... "I'm such a negative person and I'm going to start being a positive person, but Iwant your ideas". the way you phrased the question was emotional which makes me think you are a girl... lol... and the root is emotional.

You can tell I'm a girl because the question is written in pink

I know... I was being funny

• I just wrote a myTake on confidence and positivity actually, hah. What works best for me is actually forcing yourself to think more positive. It will feel forced at first but you'll need to keep it up for a while. 'Fake it till you make it' really.

Things that have helped me mostly is telling yourself you look great when looking into the mirror and keeping a journal in which you just write down the good things that happened today. Don't write down the negative, just forget about those. You'll want the good thoughts to stick.
    Aside from that, try to recognize automatic bad thinking. You've probably been in this state for quite some time and by now your brain will have developed negative thinking patterns. Try to notice when your brain is falling in such a pattern again and tell yourself that it's just an automatic thought, then forget the thought entirely. Maybe do something to distract you. Try to get out of your own head when you notice yourself getting negative again and look for the good things around you.

Like others have suggested before: focus on the good things. No matter how small. Writing that journal with good things everyday before bed has helped me out tremendously. Best of luck! :)

I actually have been trying to identify when I get into negative cycles like that, it can be tricky getting out of it sometimes though because it's hard to stop it.

• Hope this link helps you:

advancedlifeskills.com/.../

• Drugs.

Not illegal ones, mind you. But technically anything that changes something about how your body works is a drug.

There are supplements that will help with mood elevation and energy levels. It's pretty hard to be negative when you're taking them. Though people often mistake honesty for negativity, but fuck them, they don't matter anyway.

The first one I recommend is Lion's Mane extract. It's a powder made from a mushroom. It smells like the powder from ramen noodles but you'll only WISH that it tasted that good. Or any kind of good. Mix it with water, add your choice of Mio, and pound it down.

For added effect, combine it with other supplements. You'll have to research to figure out what you want. I buy from powdercity. com. You can search by category, such as mood, and read what each one does and the dosage. Easy.

Have fun.

• Try to live in the moment.
    Take stressful situations one at a time instead of overwhelming yourself with all of them.
    Realize that people always have it worse than you so enjoy what you have. You're fortunate.
    Cheese exists in this world and so do tacos.
    Try to exercise because that helps us mentally.

• I used to be in your position, EXACT same position. Honestly just getting rid of anything negative in your life helps. Anything on social media, friends that are bringing you down and anything with bad drama. I know it's hard to get rid of on social media and stuff but try as much as you can. I used to like a lot of anti-fem pages and used to go on Facebook to see negative drama all the time. I limited it and I seen a change in me as a person. But not only that you have to add happiness in your life, liking things in social media that adds to that helps. It also helps to try to look at the bright side of things always, if something bad happens to you, think about any positives about what happened. Another thing you could do is help people out, hold doors open for people whenever, help people with advice on here or real life, donate your time, donate to causes. It helps make you happier and brings happiness. So anything like that honestly helps, good luck!

• Don't push yourself and expect an overnight turn - Try and be a little bit more positive each day then it might naturally come, you never know

• Negative reinforcement! Carry one of those shock lighters and everything you think negative shock yourself. Eventually you'll stop.

Just kidding don't do that you'll just end up pissed off haha. You can't force that change you just have to slowly see the small good things in life.

• It's a slow process and for someone inherently negative, extremely frustrating.
    Recipe:
    Phase 1

2 cups of not-give-a-fuck
    3 teaspoons of empathy
    add some sugar
    gradually pour in conversations-with-people

Keep stirring steadily
    Phase 2
    Turn up the heat and let judgmental behaviour slowly evaporate

If you make it this far, then you'll know how to finish the recipe intuitively.

• list down all you have and why you should be grateful for that IE what will happen if you have a home etc. may sound a bit stupid but its not
    list down all your positive traits and work on them with people - leave aside your negative traits as much as possible
    try to see different places and contemplate nature.
    thats how i do

• Start looking for, and acknowledging, the good and positive things in situations as well as with people.

Real change is hard and takes time as well as active thought , but it can be done.

• You may have to look deep within yourself to find whats troubling you and kill the negative root thats keeping you feeling that way and find hobbies that you enjoy doing just to get your mind off of the negativity binge. I'm sure friends and family can help you gain positvity in your life.

• Take a bracelet, put it on your right hand, and switch hands whenever you say something negative without providing vailable solution for it. Try to wear it as long as you can on kne hand. This way you will slowly alter your way of thinking.

That's actually good advice, thanks :)

I've been working on bettering myself for the past few months and this is one of the better tricks I use when hard times come and it's hard to stay positive. good luck :D

• Surround yourself with other positive people while limit time with negative people. Negative usually hang out with negative people and vice versa.

What if you have no friends and no one likes you?

• Knowing when to care and when Not to care :)
    And looking at it from another perspective

• For that u have to change your whole world picture
    Start believing into the good in every person and try to understand negative actions

• by saying yes to every question for a day.

• me too

It's frustrating

you tell me. its hard to get certain things out of your head.

• Rage quit something.

• Same deal.. not sure how to handle it.

• do things you're good at. it helps with confidence

What Girls Said 18

• Use to be so much like you last year! No joke, use to be very very negative to the point I had minor depression and was on anti-depressants. But Im the complete opposite now, wish I could write everything I did in detail to help clarify but I will summarise it.
    First off everyone is different, some of these may or may not work for you. But what I did was watch Ted X videos and Elliot Hulse videos on youtube, these are motivational videos that help you get inspired and make you reflect on everything happening in your life, Id highly reccommend it! Secondly hang around positive people whether its just casual and read in the comments nobody likes you so just hang around them and different groups, won't have the same effect but it will help. Go onto social media sites and chat with different positive people, go out to clubs, events and conventions. Anywhere where you get good energy. Listen to some energetic, upbeat music, my personal favourite is latin, reggae or soca music.
    Purpose is to basically surround yourself with positive things; donate money to charity, give gratitude, help out someone, "random acts of kindness" etc. Find what makes you happy, honestly though dont let anybody tell you how you should act, feel or how to label yourself. And a good motto I follow by.. see yourself as trash and the flies will come 😊 Negative attracts negative!

• Most people who think negatively base their thoughts on assumptions, which aren't necessarily true at all. Their mind becomes conditioned to always look for the worst case scenario, worst outcomes etc

You have to train your mind to think more positively. It can take time to do that though. It won't happen over night

Every time you have a negative thought ask yourself what basis you have for thinking that way. Then with each negative thought replace it with a postive thought. Don't overthink or over analyse.

Try to accept things that can't be changed, and change things that you can. .

It can be difficult to change your mindset and thought processes, but it is achievable with time , effort and motivation

Ha, it's interesting you say that because my dad always tells me I make too many assumptions.

I used to always make too many assumptions too 😳, not so much now tho

• By waking up every morning with a smile.. Look at ur yrself in the mirror and tell yourself how much you love yourself.. Buy urself a gift as a self appreciation gift.. Stay away from pple who influence your negativity.. Look at things from all angle n smile a bit more

• 1|1
  • It takes time.

What I like to do is lay down at night and think of everything there is to be thankful for.
    Maybe it's bigger things: a new job, a significant other, a baby nephew on the way. Or little things, like your favorite food, good weather, cats and dogs, your favorite TV show, things you find interesting. The fact that you have a bed, food in the fridge, running water, etc etc.

There's always so many things to be grateful for. Always consider those things.

If you have good friends, go out with them even when you don't really feel sociable. Go laugh with someone, even if you're just goofing off at Walmart.

Drive or walk around listening to upbeat music that makes you smile and think about what you want your future to look like.

And of course, if you have negativity in your life, let go of it. Even if that means ending some relationships, blocking someone in social media, or even deleting your social media altogether. Even if it means finding a new job or moving out.

• Each day think of (or write down in a Gratitude Journal) something you are grateful for. It can be big or small things. For example, "the sunshine after it rained", "my sandwich at lunch with extra cheese", "my health", "my mom's support" etc etc etc. In my opinion it is better to write them down so that when you are having a shitty day you can read all the things you have to be grateful for. If you can't commit to writing every day, then write in it when you are having those shitty days and it should cheer you up!

• Start writing down the good things in your life or when something good happens or something just makes you smile.

• Surround yourself with positive people and little by little they'll teach you to be a better person to yourself. =)

• I am too, but I try to find the positive things in my life every day.

• You can try getting a journal and at the end of each day (or during, whichever suits you) write down everything positive that happened that day and then read over it before you go to bed. It will train your mind to start looking for the positive and when you read over them it will make you feel good and grateful for the things you do have/that happened.

• Exercising.
    It makes you happier. Releases positive chemicals in the brain. Over time, it has made me much happier and positive.

• I think you have to remind yourself that there's hope and love and all those things. Try not thinking about "love's not real" or something like that. Remind yourself that there's good in the world and everything will be okay or even great.

• What do you mean in a negative person?

I always think I can't do anything right and that I'm dumb, etc

Thanks :)

You are welcome

• Me too I hate it, let me know when you find a solution

• Focus on the things you already. Remember there's a lot of people out there that don't have a home or car or food or a job. And focus on improving yourself instead of just picking on the negative things.

• stop thinking negatively. just look at the bright side of things

• If you eat crappy food that can also cloud your judgement. Eat more fruits and veggies. Surround yourself around positive people. Meditate 5 mins a day. You can download an meditation app. Don't gossip, try to be in nature more, walks in the park, camping something. Always look at today as a great day and smile.

• Hang out with people who don't tell you to "go away" because that's very negative

It's mostly because I'm really dense, I'm not kidding, and at uni no one ever wants to help me because I never understand anything

So a lot of people seem to hate me

Oh well