Is it bad if someone is extremely empathetic towards everyone and everything?

We've all heard too much about people that lack empathy and how dangerous it can become but how about the other extreme? This means someone that has excessive empathy towards everyone and everything.

Would that also be a disorder?

Most Helpful Guy

• something becomes a disorder when it interferes with reasonable function for life.

What others might find extremely excessive empathy may work fine for a person.

That said, it also may not, and if that amount of empathy is interfering - I would imagine paralysing a person, they would be considered to have a disorder I would think. Though I am not familiar with any named or described disorder like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• That could be a disorder if it starts impacting your daily life in a negative way. It's great to care about others, but too much of anything can be problematic.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think this is very common but it would definitely be a problem for that person because hearing/seeing other people suffer would take too much of a toll on them.

• It will be exhausting having to deal with all that.

• I kinda am and it sucks. Everytime someone is sad for one reason or another, i get sad too

• I would think they are just sensitive - That is cool

What Girls Said 1

• It actually is a disorder, it can cause anxiety and stress... you can Google Hyper-Empathy if you want to learn more.