Would you consider using suction cups a form of attaching a dresser to a wall?

I have to design an item for my engineering class that prevents a dresser from tipping over when a toddler stands on a pulled out drawer. The item cannot attach to the wall or floor.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not a good idea.
    Some stupid ones:
    - Put the center of mass further in the back of it.
    - Build some mechanism to retract the drawer back to a safe position, when pressure is applied (without chopping off the child's fingers)
    - Build a mechanism to deploy an extra pair of legs in the front, when pressure is applied to the drawers.
    This can be done if the drawer's sliders are mounted in a single column, with some spring actuated mechanism.

I told you they were stupid ideas... besides the obvious stupid ones to naturally extend the legs of the dresser

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't suggest suction cups as a form of attachment (especially as a preventative measure, to protect children). Suctions, even some really strong ones, are dependent on the type of material to hold their suction; dry wall is not a good surface to hold a suction.

If the item you have to design can't attach to a the wall or floor, where would you attach it? Just trying to get an idea where these suctions would attach, if not on the wall or floor.

True, it depends highly on the surface.

I see. In that case, I wouldn't suggest suction cups (for the reasons I stated above).

is my 3rd idea too stupid?

What Guys Said 1

• No I wouldn't, usually not strong enough, plus suction cups needs a pretty smooth surface which walls usually aren't. Screws would be way better.

What Girls Said 2

• No. Most walls are textured so suction cups wouldn't work anyway. You'd be better off weighting the bottom of the dresser so it wasn't top heavy or changing the design so it was harder for a kid to tip over.

• If you use heavy duty industrial suction cups,