Are new generations getting taller?

This is something i noticed recently. I thought i was tall at 6'2, but nowadays its not uncommon to see 14-15 yo kids taller than me, at least where i live. Just yesterday i met two guys who were 16-17 and already 6'4 lol. What is going on? Is there something on our food?

0|0
10|9

Most Helpful Girl

• Over the last 150 years our average height has increased by like 10 cm. It's probably due to food, better medicine and stuff. "Most geneticists believe that the improvement in childhood nutrition has been the most important factor in allowing humans to increase so dramatically in stature" (source : www.scientificamerican.com/.../ )
    that being said, I'm really short haha

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• For a while, yes. Better diets, less physically stressful lives, and better medicine have allowed people to maximize their genetic height potentials. Now, however, heights are beginning to plateau (Holland is great example). Note, certain people will never be tall, no matter their environment, because their genetics program for shortness. But, even shorter races of people are still growing past where they were two centuries ago.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Yeah, it's not exactly news... Global height has been increasing over the past century and is still increasing now, it's linked to the increasing quality in healthcare and nutrition.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm shorter than my Mom and all her sister at 5'6 so I don't know :/ but my brother just turned 17 and he's 6"2 although my father is average at 5"9'

0|0
    0|0
  • Historically heights have increased. However ISTR recently reading something that said that they've plateaued.

0|0
    0|0
  • Have been for years now...

0|0
    0|0
  • It skipped me then, I'm the size of a 11 year old

1|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

Lol, you are still 17. there's still time

• Show All
    • 2mo

Well most men prefer short girls anyway. Dont stress over it

• 2mo

Ik my guy always says he likes it. I just think it's weird cause I look 12. No one on her believes I'm 23

• I am shorter than my mom, my brother is taller than my dad. So I don't really know.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I mean I'm 5'2 so I'm pretty short.
    Almost all the guys I know are over 6'.
    But everyone looks talk from 5'2 lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah my 15 year old cousin is 6'4" and towers over his dad 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• I think that could be happening not with each generation but every couple of generations, better nutrition and medicines etc

0|1
    0|0
    • 2mo

Yeah i think that may be the reason. But will this eventually stop? I mean, can you imagine if in 100 years the average height will be 6'10 lol

• I have the same impression.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm only 5'11 bruh, but I'm not full German either so that's probably why

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty sure. My dad is 6'0 and I'm 6'3, so yeah.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 5'7" so ye.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes on average about 10 cm

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls: I don't think so, they are about the same
    Boys: Yeah I've noticed this.

0|0
    0|0