What's the point of spiritual counselors if a murderer is sentenced to death?

I don't understand the logic behind having a spiritual counselor nor parts of a bible getting read if they're already scheduled to die. Some killers on death row have that done.

As an atheist, if hypothetically speaking I were in their place, I would still die as a nonbeliever.

Even if someone is a believer, it's not like their magically god is gonna suddenly save them.

Most Helpful Guy

• If it is the prisoners last wishes it should be respected although there are arguments about the death penalty - To deny spiritual counselling would be "cruel and unusual punishment" which is unconstitutional in US.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because if they repent their sins, stop sinning consciously and ask god for forgiveness they go to heaven.

What Guys Said 3

• WE all hope to live forever.. even if we don't really BELIEVE it...

Yeah it makes sense. Even serial killer Ted Bundy had those last minute interview talks. He still wanted the state to postpone his death sentence by 2-3 more years.

• Some people believe in an afterlife, but obviously it's silly

• If you were in that situation you would believe really quick. God, real or not, is someone we want to believe in, especially when the road is seeming to end.

Or I'll probably say John Wayne Gacy's last words "kiss my ass". At least he was badass till the end.

I'm all about dying with honor, but atheism is a luxury of high civilization.

What Girls Said 2

• That's incorrect. If they repent from their heart right there and ask God to be saved then he absolutely can save them. That is between them and God.

• Yeah i dont understand most religions period.

Yeah and it's not like those killers ever really care about repenting, god and salvation before they decided to kill or when things were ok at some point in their lives.

A real believer would be interested from the start, even when there is nothing bad happening in their lives.

Its all just a crutch.