How soon is too soon for a joke?

I believe anything can be made a subject of a joke. But there's always a limit to when it's considered too soon to make a joke about something.
So how soon is too soon? Is is too soon to make a joke about the Jews? What about 9/11 or slavery? Paris and Brussels?

Where do you draw the line?

• Less than 1 year
  • 1-5 years
  • 5-10 years
  • 10-20+ years
  • It's never too soon
  • I DON'T believe everything can be made a subject of a joke
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a horribly dark humor, so I guess it's never too soon.
    I'm not making fun of the tragedy, just the people involved mostly.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RbEVrTKvL3s/hqdefault.jpg

I'm liberal af, don't get me wrong, but damn I can't help but laugh at some dark jokes

@lopflodin to some it's not

Thanks for mh

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't give two flying fucks about whether it's too soon or not.

After the disaster of the Space Shuttle Columbia, NASA "Needed Another Seven Astronauts"

What Girls Said 17

• Not everything can be made into a joke. Millions of people perished and millions of blacks are not at the level they could've attained because of slavery. What's funny about that? Same with 9/11. If you really can't joke about anything else then don't joke at all because your humor sucks ass.

• Personally I don't find holocaust, 9/11 or any kind of mass murder (that has actually happened) jokes funny at all because my humour isn't dark enough for that. No amount of years is going to make it okay to make fun of dead or murdered people like that. Imagine your mum being murdered by lets say your father and years later someone made a joke to you about you marrying someone and they say "careful, hope you won't end up like your mum! *obnoxious laugh*", and then they say "Oh but it was years ago, surely you are over it by now?", I mean like, damn, how would you feel about something like that?

I think dark humour is only going to work with people who have really dark humour as well, so its best not to try it with anyone else because they're gonna think you're a really heartless asshole, no matter how many years has passed since it happened.

• I think some things are better left unsaid. What happened to the Jews is not something that should ever be joked about, and 9/11 shouldn't be made into a joke anytime soon. Those are just two examples.

Then again, it depends who you tell them to. Some people (for whatever reason) will find the jokes humorous and come up with their own. Other people will give you a stern look or kick your ass.

• Making them to friends whom you know that don't have any ties to any tragic events is fine.

But making them to strangers or in the presence of strangers... you're probably asking to get your shit pushed in.

• There are some things I don't think is OK to joke about, ever.

Of course everything you laugh at= OKAY'
      Everything that doesn't make you laugh= offensive and people shouldn't joke about. We as a society don't get to choose what should be joked about we as individuals do so if someone says something that you feel is to far go hide in your safe space like I'm sure you're good at but you don't have the right to dictate what others should or shouldn't joke about,. Dig it?

It was nothing personal against you master i dont make those kind of jokes what so ever i just think once we start choosing what is and isn't okay to joke about it becomes unfair i believe people should joke about what ever they want but i also think they should be mindful enough to know joking about taboo things can get them in a lot of trouble

@nothing6795

I agree completely with what you say about being mindful in your last sentences. Maybe that just didn't come through with your first response. Either way, no hard feelings :)

• Yeah, please go ahead and try telling a joke about the Paris attacks to my friend who lost his best friend that night... Might have been your last joke.

Murder jokes involving murder what a twist

Cenk from the young turks is denies the Armenian Genocide

@nothing6795 Turkey itself says it's not a genocide. They say it doesn't count cause they were still the Ottoman Empire... which is true, but a different name doesn't change what happened.

• Somethings are never funny. Ever. Not to even try and be mean, but if say your grandma or mom was killed in the most brutal way possible-when would you ever laugh about it?

I will never laugh about it, cause to me it won't be funny, but to others it may be (if it's a good joke, obviously, not just laughing for the sake of it).

For other people, sure. As I've matured though, I couldn't laugh at something so gruesome... especially to their face. That would be so cruel. :/

• It's not about "too soon", it's about tact and whether the joke punches up or down.

• I have friends who send edgy 9/11 memes or ones about Jewish people, and I don't find them funny at all. There is nothing funny about lots of people dying.

• I think you can joke about everything but with the right person. Some are less open minded about somethings.

• It's never too soon for me.

• Well you can joke about literally everything. Sometimes some topics are too soon, that is true.
    Just means you need to give them a consoling pat on the back after. That'll make everything better. Trust.

• depends on the humor
    depends on the person
    depends on the event

• Either Everything is Okay to joke about or NOTHING is.

• Somethings can't be made into a joke for some people. The thing is you think it can but probably someone that lost a family member in the 9/11 will think about killing you if you joke about it

• Not everything should be made into a joke

• some things are always going to be sensitive

What Guys Said 22

• Jokes never depend on when, they depend on who.
    If you know or at least think that the person you're telling the joke to would be offended by it then you shouldn't say it. If you know that the other person is fine with all kinds of jokes then go wild.

• I don't even make holocaust jokes.

All of that is too real for me as my parents grew up under communism, and their families lived through nazi occupied Europe. Hell I was a scared little kid when 9/11 happened.

But stereotypes are always great fun to joke about.

Just not about actual events in my opinion

• Honestly, and I'm not being butthurt at all since I get these kind of jokes all the time from family and friends, but I personally don't make any sort of jokes on mass homicide events like The Holocaust, 9/11 or Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Now, for example, there are jokes meant to mock the attacker whether it is Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or someone, just like the modern memes that mock terrorism itself but not the actual events. I'm down with all that. But I'll never laugh at the event itself, or at the victims. My deep, deep level of soul darkness has a limit lol

• Give it some time somethings shouldn't be joked about right away.
    Depending on the severity of the event more time needs to pass.

For example, in reference to the Nice attacks I heard someone make the joke "I can't believe Optimus Prime converted to Islam".
    Saying it on the day off was too soon but after a week or two when it's not as fresh in people's minds go for it.

9/11 jokes are dumb I haven't heard a single good one.

Holocaust jokes are very dark even I don't go there but to each their own.

George Carlin made a great video on the topic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMukKqx-Os

• If you have to ask "Is it too soon?" then you shouldn't especially about world events - Only maybe among friends for private jokes "Remember the time you made a fool of yourself over that girl "(of course after a decent interval, don't kick a man when he is down)

• people of every society, there is a line you draw over jokes. For me, I dont think 9/11 was funny. And any joke remotely related to 9/11 is funny. Why? I lost friends that day. I know people who were directly affected that day. I seen the carnage and smelled the carnage unfold in front of my eyes.

as for the Jewish people. Its taboo. You can't touch that. regardless of anyone.

Slavery. Same thing with the Jewish taboo...

You can not take an event and make a joke out of it. Where there were casualties to life and limb. That is not a laughing matter.

If you were driving past a car accident, would you point and laugh? Then when you get your place of residence, and you see your family gathered and realize. Oh shit. was that my family...

Knock... Knock...
    Who's There...
    Conscience...

Conscience who?

Yeah.. Thought so...

• dark humour doesn't know any time limits... as long as the person you tell it isn't affected by it.

I personally wouldn't make any jokes like that to any relatives or other affected people, no matter how long it is ago unless they show that they are over it and okay with that kind of humour

• i think it depends on the audience more than the amount of time elapsed

• Never too soon.

• Wait until it's been long enough that there is a 0% chance that the person whom you're telling the joke to lost someone to the tragedy.

Id say its safe to make jokes about the Holocaust, Hiroshima, or Pearl Harbor by now. However, Id be careful making a joke about 9/11, Paris, or Brussels.

• depends on the topic really, and who you're telling the joke to

i'm not about to joke about a friends mother dying in a car crash to their face for example, even if it's been years since it happened, although i think it would be hard to make a joke about that particularly funny

on the other hand making a joke about shootings in america a few months after they happened, while slightly insensitive, can still be funny assuming the people i tell it to weren't linked to it somehow.

• The subject dictates that. But generally a generation removed... With that said, don't make the joke, and I'm someone who loves crude jokes

• Depends on who are you joking with, some people are very sensitive.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612DEoTFH0o

22.3 years!

Unfortunate video quality.

• Loooool the men vs women's ansers in the poll xD

• I don't believe everything can be made a subject of a joke. Sometimes in life you need to be serious. The great cartoonist Charlie Hebdo got killed because he dew a cartoon. For silly reasons people get killed. Sometimes a joke is not a joke. for this reason.

• It's never too soon. You can find something unfunny, but it's still my right to joke about whatever I want.

• There are some things that Joking about will never be okay,
    I once made a small joke about the Seventh Cavalry and Wounded Knee,
    Literally right after the words left my mouth is when I started to feel ashamed

• A solid hour at least.

• That entirely depends on who you're talking to.

• Ay, what do you think dark humor is for?

Slavery is fine usually. Maybe if you're with a black person make sure they're not too sensitive. Jews are fine unless you're talking to a Jew (if they like dark humor it's still fine). 9/11 is fine, although quite edgy, unless you're taliing to a relative of a victim. Brussels and Paris are newer, but fine unless again it's with family of the victim.

• About 10 seconds