Is DNA Test for Ethnicity & Genealogical a real thing?

I mean do people do these tests to know if they have ethnicities from other countries? Has anyone here tried that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was going to try it but I feel as though the videos about DNA testing revealing ethnicity etc are sponsored.

Most Helpful Guy

• Many people are truly interested in their lineage. It is a matter of pride to some people, and just a matter of interest to others. Sometimes you come to a block trying to find documents that allow you to trace back. the DNA tests can give you a general idea of what region you are descended from, and in many cases, close matches may be found with others doing the testing so that you are able to connect with them and that helps to trace back.

I have not done it, but know of many people who have and have found out useful info for themselves. It is real.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• It is real, but I haven't found one yet that is completely accurate.

• It is real. I didn't believe it until recently. My buddy did it in an attempt to find his birth family (he was adopted as a baby). They gave him an ethnicity breakdown and such with it. I laughed when I saw "Jewish" in it as he does not appear to be Jewish at all. He managed to find his family with a DNA matching site and he found his birth family and guess what? He is a quarter Jewish... His paternal grandmother was 100%.