Would you agree that most people here don't have basic social skills?

It seems like a rare occurrence where I can actually delve deep into a conversation with someone here without it being interrupted by someone's blatant lack of basic communication skills. It makes sense that so many people here would lack social skills/communication skills because they don't do well socially outside of the internet so they retreat in non-social spaces and attempt to socialize there, yet still fail to efficiently communicate and socialize effectively. Or in other words, the way most people here socialize makes me cringe. Even just observing from afar, it's like they seldom interact with people in a productive way.

What do you think?

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're sitting around waiting and expecting effective communication and proper socialization from the internet, I dare say, you'll be waiting around for quite some time. Many of the things required of someone to communicate and socialize in the non-internet sphere, do not apply to the internet.

For one, you're speaking to what amounts for the majority of the time, to total strangers in the sense you don't know their names, what they look like, their personalities, who they are, etc. Second, you cannot "understand the meaning" behind what is said in typed form. You can only guess, so one person may mean one thing and you interpret it another way because you don't know that person and how they meant it. Third, you cannot fall into an assumption that someone who you perceive to have poor social skills/communication is equally poor at it in real life; you know nothing about the people you're communicating with, and frankly some just don't care about 'the rules,' when they are online in the same way they can be more bold, or funnier, or weirder, or any number of things people in their real lives don't get to see because they feel more free online.

I agree

If I am so much of a hassle, why are you still replying?

@Thisperson98 Are you expecting to continuously address me, talk about me, and essentially slander me yet me not say anything, not defend myself, and stay mute? If that's the case, you have serious control issues.

If someone has made it clear that they are not interested in your personality and do not wish to have to deal with your insufferable presence, then why do you insist on trying to force yourself where you're not wanted? Entitlement issues perhaps?

What Guys Said 18

• because it is "online" and not perceived as personal, people do and say things they wouldn't say in public. I try to take the approach of whatever I do is what I'd do in public or in front of important people... because all people areally are important.

I have been sarcastic at times though and hurt one person and that is unfortunate. It is very easy to mis communicate in this type of forum.

"because all people areally are important." this is very kind of you to say.
      I agree that all people are important to someone, but not all people are important to me lol Great answer!

Yes, I mean to God, so I try to see past their emotionally screwed up reality and try to see if there is a better person burried underneath. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Were all damaged goods. Great question.

• I don't really socialize on here but I am educated, intelligent and socialize quite well outside the internet and the people I do communicate with regularly are intelligent. Maybe it is just the type of people that you attract?
    But what do I know, that is just my opinion

It's not about the type of people I attract because this is something I notice even just by skimming over answers and replies where I wasn't speaking with them.

Yes, you do. Stop playing dumb. You're that disgusting father who decided to let your kid vomit while you attacked and argued with some random on the internet.

• I think people in general don't have good social skills these days because they spend too much time texting and are unable to have a normal conversation in person where you need to respond immediately and not wait to think about their answer for 5 minutes first.

• It must be fun thinking you're superior to many people on this site.

Look this site is about answering questions and helping people, if you want to have intelligent detailed convo's just do it in PM. I rarely have convo's in questions because they aren't needed.

But since we're judging people based on what they say I think you're a very judgmental, mean, and hateful person. Not so nice is it?

No, I don’t think in terms of superiority and inferiority because that’s unfair and it’s not right to just decide someone is inferior with some arrogant self-view. So don’t try to decide what I think as an individual based on your own defensive tone. I’m simply expressing an observation with confidence and I must not be all that far off because so many people agreed with me.

You were TRYING to make a point but it wasn't a success. I'm not judging anyone, I'm simply saying that I've noticed a repeated lack of basic social skills and effective communication skills on just about every post I go to even if I don't participate and just skim through the comment sections. Over half the people who participated on the poll agree so I'm not sure why you're so pissy with me as if this is something I just made up in my own head.

I don't care if you agree with the people who approached me instantly being combative, argumentative, and attacking me for simply being honest about an observation that others on this site agree with. If you can't differentiate between someone making an observation and someone thinking they're superior then that is YOUR personal issue and I'm not going to be burdened by it.

• Lol you hit the nail on the head with that one. Online forums in general attract the socially reclusive. This website seems to attract more of these types than your average forum though. I laugh though because I'm on this site still.

• Definitely. There is a reason for most people to be here.

including yourself?

@corbynHALTZ

Since you didn't pick up on it - my first reply to you was sarcastic.

i don't care if it was or not... you presume i'm interested in a dialogue, i'm not.

• No, i have good social skills.

• Interesting

• I have social skills lol that's why I've had girlfriends in the past because I'm very social. 😊

• Maybe the guys, from what I've seen.

• Esplorare is back 🙊

• Can you stop attacking people? And what the hell is this mod ego thing?

• yes, like yourself.

That's not the case at all. Defensive lashing out noted.

• *raises hand*

and to clarify because you want to be the older sister here calling me an ”old ass woman” (how ironic), it's not about trying to please you, i'm letting everyone know what a psycho you are

you wish you had the power but sadly you don't. all you can do is act high and mighty online lol bye

@COCOCHANEL Lol another weak, failed assumption. I don't wish I had any power and I'm not even exactly sure what power you're referring to.

• Huh? I dunno wut said. 2 many big words n their. I'm guna go talk 2 my cat. People scur me

not very smart, are you?

Tony,. I'm not a cowardanon but if you want to attempt to degrade and condescend me then you can be silenced too :)

I never said anyone needed to meet my personal ideas nor do I need to get over myself for asking if others have noticed what I've noticed. I just made a simple observation which MANY people agreed with. Those who are getting THIS defensive probably are because they know their social skills suck and they know they fail to communicate effectively so being called out on it bothers them.

@COCOCHANEL Your existence, your thoughts, your feelings, and your perspectives have zero significance or meaning to me, sweetheart. Get over it, accept it, and move on instead of begging to be included on a post you were dismissed from.

• projecting onto others -- with a haughty tone. lol

• Most people today from the younger generation are socially retarded

• Okay professor 😎

What Girls Said 9

• Most definitely. It really shows in their attitude and how they respond to certain events that otherwise would've gone differently if they had better social skills or just general experience being around other people on a regular basis. They jump straight into insults or start attacking people blindly when a question was answered. Or they will start victimizing their gender based on assumptions and completely disregard that certain situations have different outcomes or different variables leading up to whatever happened. That comes from not having enough real world experience and living on the internet.

does it matter? i think you lack real world experience.

@asker I'm sorry? good "social skills" is that people can post what they like in response to you. i presume you're just a pseudo-intellect, and your rants here are pretty comical.

@corbynHALTZ Your dramatic whining means has no significance. Stop wasting your youth by fixating on someone who dismissed you.

• Yes, you constantly posting this type of questions is a prime example of this. And don't go on about how you've only been here for 3 or so days because we know it's not true. Blatantly obvious lying is also a sign of lack of basic social skills. Also, you blocking opinions that don't agree with you is also a sign of poor social skills. It shows you can't take what you dish out.

@Jessicaocoa This is the first time I've ever posted this type of question. Maybe you've been spending so much time on this website, trying to keep your GAG mod status, that you've fallen into this abnormal, silly cycle of trying to guess who anonymous users are or unintelligently deciding that there's only one person out there who could possibly ask a certain type of question. That's not healthy.

Also, I didn't block people for simply disagreeing with me so do not assume you know who I am, what I think, and how I operate. I blocked those who approached me with no other purpose or intention besides being rude, combative, aggressive, and argumentative. Me simply asserting my right to decline entertaining, accepting, and embracing rude, combative, angry people doesn't mean I lack social skills, honey.

I can dish what I take, but silly, egotistical mods who are failing to socialize all the while simply sputtering angry replies? Take a _/ and get over yourself. I don't give one single fuck if you have an extra icon next to your username; disrespect me, speak to me a certain way, and you get nothing from me.

• Basic? I'm sure they do.
    Intermediate and advanced - probably not.

• I think there's definitely some truth to that. But you can't accurately judge someones social skills based on what they posted on n internet forum

• Yes a lot. Or when they can't think of something they bring up experience or age which just shows how bad their point is in the first place

• I socialize pretty well in general haha
    but yea there s a vast majority of people here who can t "?

Yeah, I've noticed that you are one of the few people here who has social grace and actually knows how to talk to people

why thank you :)

• lol how do you define productive interaction?

"Lol"? You don't know what the word 'productive' means?

are you done evading yet?

I don't "think my opinion is fact". That just sounds like you having the typical mod ego where your fake sense of power has egotistically led you to believe that you automatically know what others are thinking. I simply expressed an opinion that seems to have you very defensive and perhaps it's because it applies to you and you can't handle someone keeping it real about your lack of effective social skills.

• Maybe

• Yes I Know I Sure Don't