What are your experiences of classism?

i am working class and proud, to me, working class is not about being from a ghetto or acting in a rude way. At the end of my life i will have worked hard and make every penny without a trustfund, private education or certain connections. i do not feel the need to have more money than i really need, to be honest i don't dream of winning the lottery, big houses, fancy cars, expensive clothes or jewels. yet people who enjoy excessive money think that i would want there life and am jealous. i find it very vapid and annoying. i don't seem to be able to shake such vulgar people out of my life, even when i ignore them or am rude they stay around to feel better about themselves because they believe themselves to be desirable. if I'm honest they make me uncomfortable and i don't have the patience or time of day the care about flippant materialism. sorry, rant over. what are your experience's?

2mo I'm asking if you have had similar experiences with people who enjoy materialism or place great importance on blood linage or if you have uplifting stories. please share either way. it would be good to hear variety

Most Helpful Guy

• Royalty has never existed in my country (at least not during the past 600 years), so blood lineage is already out of the picture. There are different social classes of course but luckily, they're not very visible. Everything is much more under the carpet than in America for instance. One important reason for this is that Swiss people don't show off their money. We even have a saying in Switzerland, referring to money, that goes "You don't speak about it, you just have it" Bragging about your wealth by driving expensive cars or wearing expensive watches is socially stigmatized and considered rude behavior (which I think is a good thing). On the other hand, we don't have real poverty in Switzerland. Of course we have people who are not so well off but nothing remotely similar to poverty in America or even in countries such as England or France. We don't have any homeless people (unless you're voluntarily homeless) and if you're in need, the government will help you. Another great thing compared to America or the UK is that top education is open for everyone, including children from poor families. There are no private universities in Switzerland. All universities are public, cheap and they all have great quality (most of them are among the top 100 in the world). That's why, for a long time, I didn't understand this question from foreigners "do you come from a good university?" In Switzerland, there are no good or bad universities like in the US. They're all good. People don't decide their university based on quality but only based on geography (the closer the better). This system guarantees that even "poor" people can go into academics if they work hard. It's much more about merit than about money. Over all, Swiss society feels very egalitarian to live in. There are also things that everyone has to do regardless of social class. For example we have a general draft and every young man has to serve in the military, regardless of whether he comes from the working class or whether his parents are millionaires. If there's one thing I like about our army, it's the fact that it brings Swiss people from different regions, with different languages, mentalities, religions or social classes together.

Personally, I come from a typical upper middle class family. My parents both have well-earning jobs and my dad has studied at a university, which not a lot of people do. However, money isn't very important to me either. Some is good to have but I don't need to be rich.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a mix. Some people seem to be happy with their humble lives, a lot of poor people wanna become rich.

What Guys Said 3

• so classism is basically the same as people being snobs?

it has been my experience from real people I'm asking if anyone can relate or shine a better light on people who subscribe to a different ethos in life

• I judge people by their character, not their status. I have friends of different "classes"

It's nice to hear.

• Wow hey, good for you. Let's roll out a medal for you, HEY! CAN WE GET THIS GIRL A MEDAL OVER HERE?

I'm not asking for a medal, I'm asking if you have experienced a different attitude from someone because they deem you beneath them

What Girls Said 0