SO beloved pet just passed, not sure what to do?

So he absolutely loved this bird, she was a truly mentally unstable, weird, bird. But it made her quite unique. And he's had her for years, loves her. And he got told today she passed last night (she was staying at his mums house in the mean time). And he's quite distraught. And I just don't know what to do.
Do I just say nothing and give space, do I try and say nice words about her...
I've never really had a beloved pet pass away.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just be there for him and hug him and stuff, I think. =/ Don't press him to talk about it if he doesn't want to, but make sure you're physically close by, just in case he does want to talk. Few things suck more than to be in grief or even just sad, and then to look around and see that you have nobody there either.

Even a kooky bird can be considered like a good pal and even a family member, especially when he had her for years. So it's understandable that he's feeling as sad as he is.

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you ever had a family memeber pass away? That's what it feels like to lose a beloved pet. Just treat him how you'd want to be treated if a family member of yours dies. Comfort him, let him have his time and his space if he needs it, and just let him know that you are there for him and you care about how he's feeling. People can have really strong connections with their pets. Personally I consider my cats my family. I had them since I was 12 years old and they were kittens so I completely understand how attatched people can get to their animals. Things will get better eventually, but right now you just need to be there for him.

What Guys Said 3

• Just say how sorry you are. Give him a hug.

• Just be there for him. Listen to his bird stories as he works through the stages of grief.
    But what do I know, that is just my opinion

• Just say "Sorry for your loss , she was a great pet who will remember what a great owner she had" That's all about you can say.

What Girls Said 2

• I think just be there for him and comfort him, sometimes space can be nice too!

• Ask him what would be most helpful.