Does the word straight seem offensive?

Do any of you think using "straight" to define someone who is heterosexual seem offensive to homosexuals? Cuz that implies that homosexual people are "not straight" right?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that is overthinking it - I just assume it is a phrase used similar to the positive phrase you may use for homosexuals like "Gay" - It has become everyday language, I don't think the gay community is too put out by the use of the word "Straight".

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 15

• Its like left and right. Right handed people use the right (correct) hand, while us lefties use the "wrong" hand.

• I don't think so, it's just a word to define it.

• Well yes, it implies that homosexuals are devious, deceptive, twisted, deformed, and not to be trusted playing poker.

Does that surprise you?

• Definitely

• ehm, no lol

• Nope because I'm mostly straight. Why would a sexual orientation that is so widespread seem offensive?

• The most offensive thing that exists are PC people.

• no more than the word gay meaning to be homosexual when it means to be happy. SJWes always try to invent offence where there is none.

• Of course not.

• cos being (enter new gender free-whatever the fuck you want defintion - pansexual, cisgender blah blah) is the new fashion

• Stop it. It's not offensive. This politically correct bs is killing the world

• it ain't

• Oh God, no.
    Coming from someone that isn't straight.

Really? So would u be comfortable if someone said that you're "not straight" with an implication that you are irregular? Or would u not consider straightness with irregular or regular?

No, it wouldn't bother me. It's all up to context anyway. You can feel when someone is trying to denigrate you. They could use "not straight" or they could use any other term. You just know.
      But, most people that use "straight" or "gay" or just "not straight" aren't being that way.

Also, not being straight is somewhat irregular, no? It's not wrong, of course, but it's not standard issue.
      Though I do feel that there would be more bisexual/bicurious contact if it wasn't seen a certain way, especially for guys.

• people will be pretty much offended by anything these days. just an excuse to complain about the simplest things. attention whores essentially

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• I ment to vote no but I voted yes, so... yeah.

• No it wouldn't be offensive. It's like saying a tree has Bark, it is just the truth.

• Anything seems to be offensive these days. But no, I would say it's not.