Is Atheism a Religion?

I say yes because you need faith in the Theory of Evolution.

Definition of Religion: A particular system of faith and worship.

• Yes and why?
    17% (4)22% (8)20% (12)Vote
  • No and why?
    83% (19)78% (29)80% (48)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
2mo Religion mean to have faith in some thing

0|0
10|27

Most Helpful Girl

• I think all of you people that are bashing on the Asker are missing his general point (which I admit is not well articulated). I think he's asking if Gnostic Atheism is a "belief system". Which it is. Those people that claim to "know" - that no God exists.

godswillchurch.com/.../grid.png

atheism.about.com/.../...s-Agnostic-Difference.htm

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't really care what y'all believe or don't believe. :)

0|2
    0|0
    • 2mo

Well I don't think there are many gnostic atheists out there. Almost all atheists are agnostic.

Most Helpful Guy

• In a sense. To believe there is no greater power takes as much faith as any religion. To be Agnostic is not, as it implies an I-just-don't-know approach.

0|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, because you have faith that there is nothing.

0|2
    0|0
    • 2mo

Not necessarily. You can just assume there is nothing because there is no evidence to the contrary, without saying for sure that you know there is nothing. That is not faith.

• Show All
    • 2mo

@nog642 you are not answering the question, you are playing word games to leave the possibility open that there is a God.

• 2mo

@SammyGurl What question? There is no question. I'm replying to your opinion, not to the original question.

And of course I am trying to leave the option open that there is a God. That is an option. That's the definition of agnostic atheism.

• Atheism is not a belief in evolution. Atheism is literally the lack of a belief in a deity. Period. It is not a religion.

1|1
    0|1
    • 2mo

But it is still a belief

Definition of Religion: A particular system of faith and worship

and Faith = Belief

• 2mo

A lack of belief is not a belief. "Off" is not a TV channel. Not collecting stamps is not a hobby. This is not a difficult thing to understand.

• Of course not! Atheism is the result or definition of not believing in anything religion related. 🤓😁 👽!!

0|1
    0|0
    • 2mo

But u need faith for the theory of evolution

• 2mo

So you are assuming that one that does not believe in religion MUST believe in evolution... It's not always the case... And in which case it were as you say, faith has more than one definition and that aside, evolution is not a religion... So believing in something doesn't make it some type religion... Back to what I said, atheist do not believe in anything religion related. The end.

• The theory of evolution is based of evidence and facts. Atheism is the lack of faith and lack of religion.

Theism: the belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

Atheism is not a religion.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

But you need faith in any theory

• Show All
    • 2mo

and where did u get that from the computer I bet were half of the users are atheists

• 2mo

Before the Bible was written, stories were passed down by mouth. Then they were translated to text. Have you ever played the game telephone? By just the 5th person the sentence is completely wrong and contorted. Also there were a group of kings that's sat down and decided what went into the Bible. How can honestly trust it? The Bible says the earth is flat and the sun rotates around the earth. They've scientifically proven the earth rovolves around the sun and that the earth is round. The Bible also says there is water above the sky. I actually got the information about Moses not existing from biblical scholars. did you know in many Greek mythology stories, their gods died for their sins too? Also, how do you know out of the 320,000,000 gods, that you are worshiping the right one?

• No atheism doesn't necessarily mean you believe in evolution to be true. Just means you do not believe in a higher power.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not all atheists believe in evolution, some dont give a shit about where they come from and carry on with their lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is. Not only is it classiefied as one by the sane rule tou just wrote here, but just like a religion, it requires faith in a certain 'god', something above humans. I can't think of anything higher than humans than nature.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

It's not a religion when we don't worship a deity.

• Show All
    • 2mo

@bente2 That's a deity figure yes.

• 2mo

@Kantana but they don't worship it. They fear it..

• No and why?

0|1
    0|0
    • 2mo

Yours supposed to click it and say why

• 2mo

Oh, my bad. I just copied and paste. 😅
      It is not a religion, because those who are atheists, do not believe there is a God, or they feel indifferent.

• 2mo

but you need a Faith to believe in the theory of evolution

• nay... they don't have any faith

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 26

• i think the saying is "atheism is a religion in the same way 'empty' is a flavor of coffee"

you do not need faith in the theory of evolution. In fact, you need skepticism. You don't even need to have ever heard of the idea of evolution to be skeptical of what religious people claim. The question "then where did we come from, then?" can be adequately answered with "I don't know."

The lack of a reasonable explanation doesn't mean an unreasonable one must be true.

That's the crux of atheism, as I see it: the lack of a reasonable explanation doesn't mean that an unreasonable one must be true. To understand atheism (assuming that is genuinely your aim here), it's very important to understand this concept, and understand it fully.

Beyond that, evolution is just another theory that most people accept as plausible. Unlike faith-based explanations, if there were ever any evidence that contradicted evolution, everyone who 'believes' it would be quite excited - whereas with faith-based explanations, evidence that contradicts them tend to make those who believe it violently angry.

TLDR: It doesn't require faith in "something else" to doubt a religion.

0|1
    0|0
  • No because it generally requires a belief in a god of some kind, at least according to the dictionary definition. That said they act like they are religious, they don't like being questioned they don't provide evidence for their stances and they believe in (usually) a magical space explosion that created the universe (significantly more rational then believing in a god according to them). And they are dogmatic to an extreme (In general). However I would agree that they do have faith of a sort, that is they believe without evidence that their is no god (by any definition or idea of what god may be).

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

I also believe without evidence that there is no space turkey coming to gobble up the Earth, does that take faith?

As for the point about Atheists not providing evidence, in my experience you can provide evidence for something until the cows come home but it's never enough for someone whose "evidence" for God is a single book. A book for which there is real evidence about it being cobbled together from multiple sources, mistranslated, edited and copied from other, earlier, religions.

• Show All
    • 2mo

You keep telling me what I'm arguing, and I keep disagreeing with you.

Scientific thought does not say the universe is impossible. Not knowing exactly how it began is not the same as saying it is impossible. Scientific thought is not the sum of all scientific theories, it is the mechanism that expands and replaces those theories as new evidence comes to light. So, please, stop saying "according to scientific thought the universe is impossible, therefore...".

You have no definition of God. There may be no consensus for God, but generally sentience, interference in the world of humans and a creation myth are involved, and anything else would be unrecognisable to most religious people, at least in the West.

If you want to have a definition of God that is just "nature" or "truth", then I would be arguing against science to deny it's existence, but that's not many religion's or people's concept of a god.

• 2mo

@goaded So your saying that scientific theories, that is the repeatability (reliably) of a certain event and thus it following a cause and effect (otherwise it could not be repeated) is not part of scientific thought? That science absolutely allows for something to just happen without cause with no measurable or repeatable cause? I think your mistaken. Science requires consistency and the universe existing prevents that, it applies to the middle but not the ends, that's where science starts having issues. Its like measuring a meter stick with itself, its simply not possible. Once you get to a point where things stop being consistent with the very premise of science (cause and effect) you cannot claim it still applies. Yes science allows for room for change but it still has its limitations because its man made, it is only as good as the people using it, it is limited by human ability. As for god, your presupposing much (that's why we have religious scholars constantly debating it)

• No, but a religious person can be an atheist. For example, a christian is atheist in regards to every religion other than christianity and certain aspects of the other two great monotheistic religions.

Atheism itself isn't a religion because by definition it is disbelief or a lack of belief in god or gods. As it was so eloquently put by Bill Maher, "Atheism is a religion just like abstinence is a sex position."

When it comes to evolution, it seems you are a bit confused. Atheism isn't a requirement for accepting the scientific theory of evolution. Pantheists, Deists, and even many theologians accept the big bang and evolution, but believe in a prime mover. They believe like Aquinas that an endless chain of cause and effect is ridiculous and that there had to be a prime mover who started everything. This is where many theologians posit their god or gods of choice.

Also, evolution does not require faith. Evolution is a scientific theory. A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world. Evolution is a fact, just like gravity, just like relativity.

Religion, by the full definition, which you so conveniently left out, is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Atheism is an antonym of this. They are polar opposites. Atheism is disbelief or a lack of belief in god or gods.

1|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

While we're asking arbitrary questions that don't prove or disprove anything, let me ask you a question. Why, in the fictional novel called the bible, in the fictional book of Genesis, after eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, did Adam and Eve run and hide from god? God is all benevolent right? God is good right? So why after eating of the fruit and gaining knowledge of good and evil, would Adam and Eve run and hide from god?

• no because religion is by definition the belief in and worship of a superhuman being... atheism says there is no superhuman being

0|1
    0|0
  • no, there is no ideology. there need to be dogmatic principles to have an ideology or religion. if you dont know what dogma are, they are principles that are ultimate and absolute. you cannot get around them. atheism or science has no such principles. also science never tells you to follow what it says, science has no missionaries to convert other people to science, although some atheists try to do that, they are not literate in science and they are retarded for not following the philosophy behind science.

actually many scientists are religious, especially astrophysicists. because space is so empty and violent, they need something to hold on to for them to maintain a positive outlook on life. they dont necessarily believe in a god, but some of them develop some religious beliefs about space. some of them consider the higgs-boson particle to be god as without this particle the creation of the universe would not be possible, thus it can be interpreted as our creator, thus god from a certain point of view.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is baldness a type of haircut? No.
    Is nakedness a clothing style? No.
    Is not collecting stamps a hobby? No.
    Therefore, atheism is not a religion, it's quite the opposite - Lack of religion.

0|2
    0|0
    • 2mo

"Is baldness a type of haircut? No."
      You could actually make the argument that it is.

• Show All
    • 2mo

No, I've got fucking Awesome Hair.
      But like, if a guy walked into a barber and just said, shave it all off.
      That is getting a haircut so Baldness could technically be a type of haircut

• 2mo

@Waffles731 Ask any hairdresser, it's not a type of haircut, it's a lack of hair.
      I don't mean haircut as a length of hair, basically - I meant it as a hairstyle.

• Atheism has no tenets or faith. Theory of evolution (fact) does not require faith, and even if it did there is not tenet of atheism that says belief in evolution is necessary.

Atheism is simply the resection of someone else's faith.

0|0
    0|0
  • "A particular system of faith and worship", but.. Atheists don't worship atheism? 😂. We merely think the belief in fairies is stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is there a Church of Kidneys? I believe I have kidneys, though I've never seen them. Believing in kidneys does not make a religion. Religion requires belief in something for which there is no evidence (i. e. faith).

There's no reason to believe in a God. Babies and animals don't, so why should we? It's something we've had to have been taught to believe. Never believing it or learning that people taught you something that they believed but were wrong or deceiving you (see Father Christmas, Unicorns) is normal and doesn't require faith.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, on the contrary it is the ABSENCE of faith and worship, we don't worship anything, we don't have faith. Faith is a belief based on an ABSENCE of DATA (which always invites disaster). We believe in facts, proof, science and evidence. We believe in the Theory of Evolution because (as the name THEORY implies) it hasn't been proven YET but is the best plausible explanation to this day. See the difference?

0|1
    0|0
  • It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. Atheism takes 0 faith. It is literally the absence of any faith in a god or diety. Most of those atheists will be scientifically oriented which means unless there is verifiable proof of something, they will not believe. So no, atheism is not a religion. It takes no faith and most importantly it is not a SYSTEM, which would suggest organization, such as having gatherings and "atheist churches".

0|0
    0|0
  • No atheism is a lack of a religion.
    Atheists do not worship anything or anyone.
    The theory of evolution has scientific evidence to back it up while religion is based on a book that's based on rumours and hyperboles.

0|1
    0|0
  • Atheism is the absence of a religion

0|1
    0|0
  • No there is no worship. So it does not satisfy the full definition therefore it is not a religion

0|2
    0|0
  • If you believe in evolution you don't have faith, you just believe in science and scientific theories. Atheism is not a religion.

0|1
    0|0
    • 2mo

but You need faith to believe in theories

• 2mo

Just because you have faith in something doesn't make it a religion. I could have faith in the flying spaghetti monster but that doesn't make it at real religion.

• This is officially the dumbest question I've read on GAG lmao.

0|2
    1|0
  • You lack of knowledge about atheism is disturbing. You can be athiest and dont believe in Evolution. Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

0|1
    0|0
  • Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

That's literally the opposite of Atheism.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes athiesm is a religion you believe in something
    it doesn't not require a GOD or a entity
    cause 90% of atheist believe in evolution from experience and talk

everyone believes in something

0|0
    0|1
  • We don't worship deities therefore it's not a religion. Faith doesn't necessarily mean religion.

0|1
    0|0
  • atheism is not a religion by definition

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

What do you mean by definition

Definition of Religion: A particular system of faith and worship.

You need to have faith in The Theory of Evolution

• 2mo

atheist dont worship evolution though.. it isn't a god like figure.. its just a theory

• Its a void of religion in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • you don't need faith to accept natural selection since there's a mountain of evidence to support it.

0|0
    0|0
  • For some it is almost a religion, but for most, no. They do not have 'faith' in any thing in particular, rather they simply assume that things for which they see no evidence likely don't exist.

Evolution is a fact.

Natural selection and random mutation form a good theoretical understanding of how it likely works.

We actually understand evolution better than gravity. The 'theory of gravity' is ultimately much weaker. But things still fall. Gravity is a fact, regardless.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not

0|0
    0|0
  • Been looking this up to see the least biased perspectives.

From what I've found it "can" be a "religion", and yet it is not a religion, as it will all depend on the matter of perception, and it's completely different for everyone, some will believe that it is a religion and others will have to disagree, and then there are some that feel there are no definite answer on whether it is or isn't a religion, at least according to here:

www.conservapedia.com/Debate:Is_atheism_a_religion%3F

If you think or believe it is, then it "can" be a religion to you. If you do not think or believe that is a religion, then it's simply just that, it's not a religion to you at all. Others don't even care regardless of whether it is or isn't, and may feel or think that it's entirely irrelevant on whether atheism is or isn't a religion.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

conservapedia as a source? No wonder you're posting anonymously!