Why do dogs bark and jump at strangers who come to their house?

Why do most dogs bark and jump at strangers? And if they're trying to protect the home why don't they just bite?

Most Helpful Girl

• When they bark they are giving a waring. I suppose if the person attacked the owner the dog probably would bite. . Dogs can sense potential danger and potential threats, so I guess if their owner was relaxed around the person the dog would sense that. So won't bite

Lol I went to my gf's house and hopped in her bed and she released the dog. First thing he did was run into the room and when I was hugging my girlfriend in bed he jumped on top of us. It was really weird lol.

Awww 😂might have been jealous 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• Because that's how they would react if a strange dog came into there territory but the very fact they do that ment they wornt trained properly

What Girls Said 4

• Some are excited. Some are territorial but won't turn aggressive unless you hurt their owner.

How can you tell the difference between excited and territorial.

Dog body language. Look it up.

• It's natural. They don't know who you are so anything or anyone that crosses their territory gets barked and jumped on. They don't bite unless they feel threatened by you or feel like you're up to no good.

• They bark at strangers well because they obviously they don't know them. They don't bite unless the stranger is getting to close to them or messing with their territory or owner.

What if you just go up to Pat the dog? Could it bite you.

If you're a stranger & it is trained to not to be kind to strangers then yes it will bite. If the dog is trained to be friendly then chances are the only damage he will do is hit you with its wagging tail.

Lol ok.

• Because they haven't been trained to not jump on people. They bark because they're alerting you and warning the stranger.

What Guys Said 2

• Territorial and feel safe in their own patch - We had a little terrier, once he was behind the fence he would bark like mad at anyone outside but if anyone came in the gate he would scarper.

• They're alerting, not necessarily defending.