Are Conservatives against change?

English isn't my native language but I'm confused about this I argued with an American Conservative about 'change' She said Conservatism has never been against change As of poitics Are Conservatives against change?

2mo ...

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, conservatives are against change. Especially if it's change that threatens their religion, business interests, or white supremacy.

What this anonymous girl tells us is that conservative = White supremacism.

She will never tell the Japanese to get rid of their religion, race and culture in general. She will never tell Chinese to do the same thing. Or Indonesians, or Vietnamese, or Israelis, or Arabs, or Turks or all of Africa. And of course she will never call these people racists for wanting to preserve their identity. It's all about hunting down the last White person and call him "RACIST!!!"

@TheFlak38 yep. Doing that too.

@TheFlak38 i don't sympathize with muslims but they don't demand free stuff, they want to build mosques as they christians build churches. what's the diference between a mosque and a church? maybe a mosque will have to pay taxes for the monay raised the problem with muslims is a totally different one

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it can be summed up as that. The word "conservative" comes from the Latin verb "conservare", meaning "to keep" or "to preserve". Thus, conservatives want to preserve things and keep everything the way it has always been (which is of course silly because there's no such thing as "has always been", things are in a constant flux).

absolutely agree but I don't understand why conservatism has a lot of followers while it is extremely silly

Don't ask me... I ask myself the same question. I guess I can understand why 80-year olds are conservative but I really don't get why young people are conservative. It's about the most unattractive personality trait ever. Unfortunately, some people are 21 on the outside but 95 on their inside.

What Girls Said 1

• Conservatives beleive more in working for what you want in life , liberals more believe their human right is to have everything handed to them. Conservatives beleive in tradition , liberals beleive in their emotions.
    Your more likely to see a successful conservative vs a successful liberal diff. Work ethic.
    I dont identify as either. Political parties are dumb and corrupt.

What Guys Said 12

• It is a tough one to explain - The words conservative/liberal in their literal senses are not quite what they mean politically - I think American conservatives would be economically and socially right wing whereas liberals can be socially left wing but economically either left/centre/right - I think the only clear way to understand is to look at their views on certain things like economy, religion, abortion, welfare, tax etc

• no thats not correct, conservatives are not against change. they put a big emphasis on tradition in the context of culture. what is considered conservative is different everywhere as tradition is different everywhere.

i dont see whats wrong with tradition to be honest. preserving tradition has nothing to do with not wanting change, there should be plenty of place in a society to allow progression to occur, but that does not mean that tradition must be broken down.

• Of course they're against. That's why they call themselves "conservative", they want to conserve their status and refuse to change.

but it's stupid everything and everyone changes over time you can't resist change

• depends on the base line and the individuals subjective beliefs.

• Conservative are what's known as reactionary. They will avoid change until it is absolutely necessary, and when change is made against their will, they will try to reverse it. The problems come in when different people don't recognise the same things as problems, for example, gay rights. Conservatives (for the most part) don't see banning gay marriage as a problem, and so before it was legalised, they tried to stop it from getting legalised. Now that it is legal, they would reverse the decision if they could.

• Yes and no. Conservatives are against the change for the sake of change.

• It really depends on the change. If the change is giving more power to the government, most conservatives are against giving more power to the government.

• It depends on the change.

• Yes.

• Nahhhh they certainly want to change Obamacare

• The words conservative and liberal have been used to describe a whole lot of different things.

There is a school of conservativism that is 'careful' about change. It suggests that we tend to be overly optimistic about how things might be vs. what has worked in the past, and should be careful about rushing to change things.

By contrast, the 'neo conservative' movement was fairly radical.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more