I realised that I'm a transgender, what now?

This completely came out of the blue. One day last winter my parents went out together, and that night I stayed at home alone. I should've gone out with my friends but it started raining heavily, so I thought that a relaxing Saturday night would be fun. I'd just watched one of my favourite movies, I turned the TV off and started staring into space, and daydreaming. I started thinking about what my life would be like if I was a guy. This always happened to me... even when I was a child, I randomly told my mum I wanted to be a guy. When my dad found out about this he beat me up, and this is probably the reason why I started ignoring those thoughts and hiding them from myself. That night I started watching videos online about transgenders, and I realised that I wanted to be one of those guys, I accepted it: I'm a transgender. No shame in that.
I've been in therapy for years because of my depression, I always talk to my psychologist about how I don't feel good about myself and who I am and how much I wish I was someone else, but I just didn't think it had anything to do with that. But now everything is starting to make sense, I just don't feel good about my body and I want to become a man, and this also explains why I'm attracted to both genders. I want to find a job and save up for surgery, but I need my family's support, and I need to tell them about this. I can't keep on hiding this...

I just needed to vent to someone, this story is driving me crazy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Here we have another example of a person jumping on the Transsexual bandwagon

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 7

• I am glad you trust us enough to vent here - Keep up the counselling and hopefully your parents will come around to the way you feel - I hope it works out well for you and you find contentment for yourself.

• what the... :/ how could you know that you are transgender after all these years? i mean sorry to say this, i dont mean to offend you but, you know the difference between a guy and a girl right? a guy has a crotch and a girl has a vagina. so how could you not know before? :/

by the way dont hide, tell this to your family

Did you even read the question? I don't have a dick, I want one. I want to become a guy, I'm not a guy with long hair.

then your not a transgender. your just a man trapped in a female body.
      by the way if you want to be a man then tell your parents this, and arrange a operation in which you'll become a man

• What now... good question. I honestly don't know how to answer that :o
    I would tell my close friends and see how they react. Then I'm sure who the real friends are

• Okay that's interesting. Thank you for the insight. I think you are right and you should stop hiding it and be who u wanna be

• no you are not
    you believe you came from an animal
    and ignore the truth
    so you are sent strong delusions

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• Gosh... I feel really sorry for you. I was glad to see you said you've been in therapy for years with it because its not something light. People with gender dysphoria don't just "want" to be the other gender, they actually feel their brain is the other gender. Whatever you do do not rush onto hormones. I have seen a few girls' videos on youtube who have transitioned (and also a few who have gone back and detransitioned because it was a mistake). As soon as you take testosterone, that's it, there's no going back, you're voice deepens permanently and you grow facial hair, permanently. I would say at least spend a good two to three years not on hormones but experimenting, like wearing a binder and boys clothes and with short hair to see if it fits with your brain. Whatever you do, please do not get it wrong. Maybe you would feel better embracing your femininity? Think of all we as women have... there is so much, fashion, makeup, amazing clothes, beauty treatments, heels... would you not miss all that? Maybe you should try experimenting and see whether embracing yourself as a young women actually may help you? It may not, I get it... but please try everything else first. I absolutely love being a girl... sure its not perfect all the time... but there is so much to enjoy. I really wish you all the best and hope you don't rush anything and make the right decision xx much love

• If this is any consolation, you will make a handsome guy! To be honest if people can't accept you for you then you deserve better. I'm just coming out to my friends and family about me being bisexual. My husband has known for a while and is very supportive. I was scared to death about how my best friend would react but she was perfectly accepting of it right away and told me I never had to be scared to tell her anything. And my cousin I knew I could tell and she'd be accepting and she was! I just told them I'm still the same person, my heart is still the same, I'm just attracted to women too. Granted telling your family you are transgender is more scary, but I'm sure you know more people who will be accepting of it than those who won't. I'm learning that about my friends and family now too. I'm going to tell my parents today, even though I'm scared to death. I'm gonna type them an email.

• i'd discuss it again with your therapist

• Glad you could let that out

• everyone is transgender these days lol